corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » anyone with plus.net?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author anyone with plus.net?
kz

User status: Offline
18th Apr 06 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone know why i have not been upgraded to 8Mb yet? was emailed an told it would happen on the 1st April! i went on their website and selected upgrade manually, which was meant to take under 24hrs. now been about two weeks just wondering if anyone know anymore before i send em an email
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Apr 06 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah me, spoke to them on the phone they said they were doing new customers first then other people later.
Bart

18th Apr 06 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
anyone know why i have not been upgraded to 8Mb yet? was emailed an told it would happen on the 1st April! i went on their website and selected upgrade manually,

d'oh!
i wouldnt have done that.

You would have simply got upgraded for free.

Not sure if your going to confuse them now!

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Yeah me, spoke to them on the phone they said they were doing new customers first then other people later.

New customers only
kz

18th Apr 06 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but bart i didnt have to pay for the upgrade!

ian, okay thats cool at least i know theyre doing something! any ideas on when?
Bart

18th Apr 06 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it said in the email approx 10 days.

Ive had mine.. but then we are paying best part of £50 a month
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Apr 06 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm paying 14.99, no rush there then
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

18th Apr 06 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i totally missed this email, I'm on the 2mb unlimited product with plusnet, what the hell is going on?
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Apr 06 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PlusNet is evolving - in an evolving world.

We are different.

We're not afraid of change - in fact we embrace it.

We want the service you buy from us today to be a service you'll want to buy from us in the future - it needs to be a service that's just what you are looking for and one we can earn our living from.

We like to talk with you. You may think we talk too much - enthusiastic people often do.

In the future it looks like your Internet connection will deliver more than just the web pages you search for and the emails from your friends. No one can predict the future, but it doesn't stop us trying - here at PlusNet we believe our customers will combine their Internet, telephone, mobile phone, TV, film watching and more things than we have room for here.

We're getting ready for that day - we want to continue to deliver you a reliable service and be here to help you make sense of the changing technology. It probably won't be easy and we will make mistakes along the way.

One of the changes we are going to make is to the way we provide you with support. Customer service and technical support are really important to us, a large number of our new customers come recommended from our existing customers - so we work hard to provide a service you'll be happy to recommend.

We like to think we do a good job; the readers of PC Advisor seem to agree, they recently voted PlusNet No. 1 for customer service in their 2006 poll and we've always won awards for our technical support.

When we talk to you, you tell us you like to be able to find the answers to your questions online and the first place you look is on our web site. We receive great feedback on our help information and will continue to work hard to keep it bang up to date.

We believe if you can't find an answer online and have to phone us we have failed.

In the future it's likely you'll be looking for help on things like combining your mobile phone with your home phone or how to get the TV channels you want working. So to maintain our high standard, we have decided to make a distinction between support questions.

Crucial technical support questions like "Why can't I get a connection?" are different to "How do I use CGI scripts on my website?".

These crucial support questions will always be a priority and more often than not this is when you will have to phone us. It would be difficult to find the answer to "why can't I get a connection?" on our web site if you can't get online at all. You can ring us 24/7 at a lo-call (0845) rate. If we have a problem delivering your service we don't expect you to pay for it to be fixed.

For less crucial questions our web site will provide the answer to all the common questions, and some more obscure ones too. We plan to launch help pages on subjects like Wi-Fi wireless technology - set to become 'the' way we connect our bits of tech kit together at home. The great thing about web sites and online communication is they can evolve as the technology evolves. The opinions of our 'experts' can be read by thousands of people. It's not just one way though - if you have ever visited our forums you'll know there are thousands more opinions and conversations to be had.

In an ideal world you'll find the answer you're looking for on our website easily - but it's far from an ideal world. So the next best thing is to send us an online message - we still see this as a failure of our site, but at least you haven't had to call.

We're quite proud of our online messaging service; if you've got a question you just go to our site, type it in, press send, and we'll reply. The great thing about this service is you have a record of the conversation and can take a look at it at anytime. Some questions that turn out to be something like a BT line fault will always take time to sort out, whereas other questions are answered in around 20 minutes.

Whilst our web site will probably be the most convenient way to get help, we realise many people (particularly those new to the Internet) may have questions not directly-related to technical difficulties. The service we provide will allow you to do lots of different things - if you know how to use it.

That's why we are setting up a consultancy phone line where the web site information can be discussed if necessary. We plan to charge 50p per minute to cover the cost of training our team and providing this service. We believe it will only be a worthwhile service if the people on the end of the phone know what they are talking about; there is nothing worse than ringing somewhere for help only to discover you know more than the person at the other end. By charging for this service we can keep on investing in quality people and make sure they are constantly given training to keep them in step with the technology changes that are just around the corner.

We also believe you will look at our web site for your answers before calling our 50p per minute consultancy line. If this happens we can continue to provide a low cost service that evolves with new technology. We don't want to make money from your phone calls - we want to provide answers online and keep our cost as low as possible.

Over the next week or so we will be sending you details of how to get hold of our help and advice. We intend to make it clear where to look for the answers to your questions. If you can spend a little time looking over the information now, it might save you time and stress in the future.

Kind regards

The PlusNet team
http://www.plus.net

Ian
Site Administrator

18th Apr 06 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a service announcement from PlusNet with important information about product changes, speed upgrades, traffic management improvements and other service updates.

Free broadband product upgrades!
================================

We're delighted to announce that from 30th March 2006 we'll be upgrading our Broadband Premier, Plus and Pay As You Go customers for free.

The main changes are:

- Up to 8Mb speed upgrades! (subject to availability).
- Addition of PlusTalk minutes on our broadband phone (VoIP) service.*
- New usage allowances and traffic management.

There's no upgrade fee or change to subscription and you will not be asked to begin a new 12 month contract. You don't even need to change any settings - we're doing everything for you!

Your product will be upgraded on your first billing date after 30th March 2006. If you pay annually this will be the same day in the month as your annual subscription, e.g. the 15th. Speed upgrades will follow over the coming months - see below.

Customers on other products (products not currently sold) will be upgraded separately and we'll be contacting you by email if this applies to you.

Up to 8Mb speed upgrades
========================

High-speed broadband is here and if you've got broadband you'll be getting upgraded for free!

It will take BT several months to upgrade the thousands of PlusNet broadband customers, so priority will be given to customers on the up to 4Mb and 8Mb products. We'll then ask BT to upgrade our customers in the order they joined PlusNet, as recognition for loyalty.

We'll contact you by email when BT performs your upgrade. And remember: 'up to 8Mb' really does mean 'up to'. Many factors affect broadband speed, including line quality, distance to the BT exchange and the weather. Our 8Mb trials showed an average speed of 6.1Mb - a huge speed increase!

It's important to remember that a small percentage of customers will be unable to get a speed upgrade because their line cannot support it. You will be contacted by email if this happens to you.

If you have been paying for an up to 4Mb or 8Mb broadband service and are unable to get these speeds we will refund you, providing you haven't exceeded your usage allowances.

Changes to your broadband product
=================================

Faster speeds are just one of the changes we're making. See how else your broadband product will be improved:

Broadband Premier
-----------------

The current Broadband Premier range includes 'up to 2Mb', 'up to 4Mb' & 'up to 8Mb' options. These will become Broadband Premier 'Option 1', 'Option 2' & 'Option 3', respectively.

Option 1 includes 15GB of usage at peak times (4pm - midnight) and no usage limits during off-peak hours. Options 2 & 3 will get even more usage at peak times. See the 'Broadband Product Update - April 2006' support article for exact figures - http://www.plus.net/go.html/broadband_product_update/CYCOlPrBh39N

Premier customers will also get a fantastic 240 minutes of PlusTalk broadband phone calls (VoIP) included each month.*

Broadband Premier will continue to offer you a premium service and is the ideal product if you've gone beyond simple email and web surfing to music and video downloads, sharing your broadband around the home or the other great entertainment options now available online.

Broadband Plus
--------------

Broadband Plus up to 2Mb, priced £14.99, will get 3GB of unrestricted usage at peak times (4pm - midnight) and a possible 50GB during off-peak hours.

Customers on the current Broadband Plus 'up to 4Mb' & 'up to 8Mb' options will enjoy greater usage allowances and will also be automatically upgraded, for free, to up to 16Mb & 24Mb respectively, once these speeds become available. These products will not be offered to new customers or as upgrades.

See the 'Broadband Product Update - April 2006' support article for exact figures - http://www.plus.net/go.html/broadband_product_update/CYCOlPrBh39N

We're also including PlusTalk PAYG broadband phone calls (VoIP).*

Broadband Plus is suitable for browsing, email and making occasional downloads. If you have greater needs than this, we recommend upgrading to Broadband Premier.

Broadband Pay As You Go
-----------------------

Great news - all usage between midnight and 8am will be FREE. That's 8 hours of free broadband a day!

Pay As You Go customers will be upgraded, for free, to up to 24Mb speeds once available, making this a great way to get really fast speeds for a low monthly price.

We're also adding 120 minutes of evening and weekend PlusTalk broadband phone calls (VoIP) each month.*

How we guarantee quality broadband
==================================

Traffic management can sometimes sound like a bad thing for customers, but it's the opposite; it's the best way to guarantee everybody gets the best service possible for their money, especially as faster speeds allow higher usage.

Our network will cleverly prioritise traffic based on type of usage, e.g. browsing, online gaming, streaming media or peer-to-peer. Because some types of usage are more time sensitive than others, they will get priority, e.g. browsing and online gaming. This means you get the level of service that's appropriate to your needs.

Our network will also be able to manage the small percentage of customers who use their service unsustainably, to stop this from affecting the majority of our customers.

Other ISPs are starting to follow this approach, but as industry leaders we are in a better position to guarantee quality broadband to our customers.

Key changes:
- Peak-time hours defined as 4pm - midnight.
- New peak-time usage allowances for some products (see above).
- Improved View My Broadband Usage tool.

New View My Broadband Usage tool
================================

You'll also have access to an improved version of the popular VMBU tool when we upgrade your product. It'll let you monitor every aspect of your usage:

- Simple summary of your usage each month.
- Detailed breakdown of type-by-type usage, such as browsing, gaming, and peer-to-peer.
- Full record of peak-time and off-peak usage amounts.
- Management level notices to let you know if you use more than your peak-time usage allowance.

Binary Usenet service update
============================

Binary Usenet is a technical service used by a small minority of customers to download large files. Because very few customers have been using our Binary Usenet service it will no longer be available from 3rd April 2006 onwards.

We will continue to offer an excellent text-only Usenet service and customers can of course continue to use third party binary Usenet feeds and providers.

You can find more information in our dedicated forum posting - http://www.plus.net/go.html/binary_usenet_pn/CYCOlPrBh39N

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued custom.

Kind regards,

PlusNet Customer Support

* Customers who already have a PlusTalk service will not be affected by these changes. Included PlusTalk minutes can only be used to call UK landline numbers beginning with 01 & 02.
John

18th Apr 06 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You won't defo get 8meg either.
Depends on your line.
kz

18th Apr 06 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'm paying 14.99, no rush there then

same
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Apr 06 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad just got his 2mb with Nildram upgraded and they gave him 5mb.

I'm not too fussed tbh. CS is quick enough. I don't do much else

New Poll