corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » My engine is s-s-s-sttutering. I dont know y

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My engine is s-s-s-sttutering. I dont know y
greenelephant

User status: Offline
   18th Apr 06 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ez evey1

I've got a t reg corsa b. and recently when I drive the car (approx around (25-60) in either 2nd and 3rd gear (and sometimes now and again in 4th gear. when I accelerate car in 1st, everythings fine but when I accerelate in 2nd or 3rd, the car jolts like its outa petrol even though there is plenty but when I get to about 55-60mph+ in either 4th or 5th gear it stops and its drives like it hasnt got a problem. Its an unleaded engine and I havent put the wrong fuel in the engine. The engine doesnt even overheat. But what I am thinking is what if the cluth is going. Does any1 think this is the case. I am suspecting but dunno 4 sure. Has n e 1 an idea wots going on?

thanx
Shaun2005

18th Apr 06 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have an induction kit? could be a faulty AFM. To much air not enough petrol or vise versa.
greenelephant

18th Apr 06 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no buddy. aint got an induction kit. Where can I get 1 from. btw wots an AFM?
Shaun2005

18th Apr 06 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AFM is an Air Flow Meter. Emm...have you got a halfords near you? or you could go to Demon tweeks. Id go for Pipercross mate.
greenelephant

18th Apr 06 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, got halfords down the road

infact, I had 2 replace headlight bulb ystrday. 2 do that I had to remove the air duct pipe and after looking at the pipe it wasnt securely attached to the chassis above the radiator I reckon this could b the problem cuz I havent had this problem since then.

but will def check out halfords buddy.

nice 1
greenelephant

19th Apr 06 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na, air pipe didnt solve n e thing. My cars ok when driving @ steady pace. But jeks when accerating sharply. U lot still reckon its my AFM? Example sometimes when accerating when car is static in 1st gear. I put gas pedal down and it drives slowly then all of a sudden after a delay of a few secs it finally acccerelates quickly.

[Edited on 19-04-2006 by greenelephant]
1 SCR

19th Apr 06 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm....i would of said AFM aswell buddy but could also be a faulty throttle body. Maybe get someone to take a look. Sounds complicated but could be sometihng very simple. Like a sticky throttle cable, ive had that before.

[Edited on 19-04-2006 by 1 SCR]
greenelephant

19th Apr 06 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if 4 example it was the AFM, is there n e way u can fix it? btw could the air filter have n e thing 2 do with this?
Shaun2005

19th Apr 06 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the AFM is bust then its best to get a new one. If its not an induction kit u've got then i would doubt its the filter. Induction kits tend to fcuk about with the AFM.
greenelephant

19th Apr 06 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanx buddy, is there anyway I can tell 4 sure its AFM which is f*cking up? How much is AFM approx?

1 SCR

19th Apr 06 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what to do mate is take it a garage and just tell them what the problem is, and they'll tell you what it is. i reckon its the AFM aswell, they control the air flow thats mixed with fuel. Best place is a scrappy if u need a new one. but the ratio's might just need reset.
greenelephant

19th Apr 06 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice 1 buddy BTW do AFM usually play up so often?

greenelephant

20th Apr 06 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On thing I've noticed though, wiring to the air flow meter is a little knackered (protective tape around plug is loose) u reckon this mite b problem, cuz most of the time especially the 1st 10mins after car is started it runs absolutely fine then at random moments afterwards especially when accelerating sharply, it stutters. u reckon faulty wiring may b doing this? cuz I dont think the AFM is completely broke because I would imagine the car would be jerking all the time. btw, could an oil change b causing this, it hasn't been changed 4 a while

cheers

[Edited on 20-04-2006 by greenelephant]
greenelephant

20th Apr 06 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 SCR

20th Apr 06 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, check your oil level mate. Your car will start ticking bad aswell if your low on oil. Dont wanna sieze the engine. But it sounds like the loose plug is the problem. Replace that mate abd let me know how its working. Also, change your oil, lol. 10W/40 i think.
greenelephant

20th Apr 06 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm could do, oil is jet black when taking out that prod stick. There is plenty of oil in there though, infact it is just above the max level (only by a whisker though). but I bought car 2-3 months ago and not 2 sure how long the oil in the engine has been there for.

Took car 2 garage 4 brief visit. They said it could be AFM but they also said that there is no EMS light on dashboard. and the engine is running smoothly when ticking over? (which they say when AFM goes the car will not do)

What was also mentioned was the ECR valves. He didnt say that was the problem but he has fixed them with cars before that have roughly the same problem as me. (Wot R ECR valves)? Is there n e way of finding out if AFM is working OK without having 2 pay out £50-60 just 4 a engine readout?

thanx
1 SCR

20th Apr 06 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you've got spare time and are any good with your hands, what to do is take your time and try taking off the airbox and AFM and see if there's anything, like cracks, blockage etc and see if you can solve the problem. If this still doesnt work, check the airbox aswell, make sure there's nothing clogging it up and that the filter is not needing replaced. Try and securely plug in the plug, . If this still doesnt work then maybe Mr Mechanic is the man. What size of engine is it mate?
greenelephant

20th Apr 06 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.4 16V (t reg corsa B)
greenelephant

20th Apr 06 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.4 16V (T reg Corsa B)
VegasPhil
Premium Member

20th Apr 06 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted it yet? Try the MAP sensor. It's the green plug about an inch left along from the Header Tank Cap.

Make sure that's seated correctly. Any EML Lights?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
greenelephant

20th Apr 06 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na no EML lights on dashboard. Will check out MAP sensor as well. Btw wots it do?
Mattss Corsa

20th Apr 06 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this problem, i had a bad earth on my ECU mate.
greenelephant

20th Apr 06 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ECu's located on far left hand corner when u open the bonnet nr the engine fuses rite? im mean it sounds like a its a wiring problem if im not mistaken
Mattss Corsa

20th Apr 06 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine was mate, i didnt do it, Jamsport did it after allot of checks n diganositc, but they found it Runs a treat now, Just check the wiring mate, around the ECU, and clean the EARTH, the brown wire
STEvieXE

20th Apr 06 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id try spark plugs first..

New Poll