corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Classifieds » Parts Offered » carbon fibre door cards (gauging interest)

Insufficient Privileges to Post
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author carbon fibre door cards (gauging interest)
jamesvalver

User status: Offline
4th Mar 06 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might also be interested!
MR2Mike

5th Mar 06 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone have pics of this done?
Graeme
Premium Member

5th Mar 06 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there not done yet, andy u know i will have sum aswell!
R4LY_5LG

6th Mar 06 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you makin them for the Corsa C aswell????
RichR
Premium Member

6th Mar 06 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsaandy
fibre glass is also very light like carbon fibre and the reason it is used is to bring the cost down as if it was all made from carbon fibre the price would be expensive, this is the way most carbon fibre bonnets are made.

please tell me what laminating experience you have...................

Who's your carbon supplier, what resin are you using; seeing as there would potentially be cross contamination if you use a matrix specific resin
How many layers of glass/carbo will there be?

How are you curing them, air, autoclave or some other "method"?

Are you using a male or female mould?

Can you still use the original rubbers at the top of the window

L30 SCT

6th Mar 06 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
quote:
fibre glass is also very light like carbon fibre and the reason it is used is to bring the cost down as if it was all made from carbon fibre the price would be expensive, this is the way most carbon fibre bonnets are made.

please tell me what laminating experience you have...................

Who's your carbon supplier, what resin are you using; seeing as there would potentially be cross contamination if you use a matrix specific resin
How many layers of glass/carbo will there be?

How are you curing them, air, autoclave or some other "method"?

Are you using a male or female mould?

Can you still use the original rubbers at the top of the window

think he might no his stuff
RichR
Premium Member

6th Mar 06 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not slating him - I just want to know

I'm stuck at the minute - theres a 48 foot fast patrol boat being built in my workshop for the next 11 months and were being paid rent - so I cant do any work for anyone - trying to buy a house in September with a garage so I can do a few bits - been buying up most of the plastics/replaceables from a C20 XE so I can mould all of them and get a start on them - got battery covers sorted; but need to finish my car and my last 2 months of uni b4 I can do any more proper laminating
corsaandy

8th Mar 06 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a polyeurethane resin, used to lay-up both the fibreglass and carbon parts together - no problems with incompatability.

The layup weight will be about 800gsm - a compromise between rigidity and light weight.

Curing the panals is a combination of air, pressure from the mould and a curing catalyst - the same as normal fibreglass lamination

Although we'd love to use an autoclave, this would mean pre-preg carbon with an epoxy system, and the small matter of buying a pressure oven big enough to do the job... Pre-preg carbon costs £50 a square meter EACH LAYER, and thats before you factor in labour and the £500,000 autoclave

All the carbon is supplied from the industry leader 3M, and is laminated by experienced composite engineers.

andy
corsaandy

8th Mar 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Sandsy

8th Mar 06 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i be the gunea pig please
jamesvalver

8th Mar 06 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how hard would it be to make a complete doorcard in the bottom part all as one in the same shape as the std door cards
corsaandy

8th Mar 06 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its doable but is very hard as it would take alot of work to make a mould im afriad!
RichR
Premium Member

9th Mar 06 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its a polyeurethane resin, used to lay-up both the fibreglass and carbon parts together - no problems with incompatability.

The layup weight will be about 800gsm - a compromise between rigidity and light weight.

Curing the panals is a combination of air, pressure from the mould and a curing catalyst - the same as normal fibreglass lamination

Although we'd love to use an autoclave, this would mean pre-preg carbon with an epoxy system, and the small matter of buying a pressure oven big enough to do the job... Pre-preg carbon costs £50 a square meter EACH LAYER, and thats before you factor in labour and the £500,000 autoclave

All the carbon is supplied from the industry leader 3M, and is laminated by experienced composite engineers.

andy

3M are not industry leader, not from a quality point of view anyway - You need to look at West systems range of resins and SP systems as well - Our autoclave cost £25k, albeit I didnt have to pay for the full amount, nor is it a full size oven - we can do panels but not full chassis - also you dont "only" cure pre-pregs in there, anything within reason can be baked etc

You say your using 800gsm layup weight - what is this - 800 gsm cloth ( if so how many layers) or 800gsm total panel mass - in which case your dreaming or making it too thin. Plus you really need to use an epoxy with carbon in order to achieve its full potential and stop osmosis - polyeurathane is okay but not ideal
Plus who are you getting your prices off - I've never paid £50 sq.m for Pre-preg - our rolls work out at roughly £20-£25 sq.m

Finally are you doing the laminating - what makes you "an experienced composite engineer"?

I'm not slating you, so please don't get that impression - infact I'd like to help out and if you have any struggles I'd liek to give you advice - also I can recommend soem suppliers who will be far cheaper and potentially better quality

R4LY_5LG

11th Mar 06 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ARE YOU JUST MAKING THEM FOR THE B OR YOU MAKING THEM FOR THE C ASWELL???? U2U ME!!!!
corsaandy

11th Mar 06 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to start with will just be the b but in a few months might start doing the c
L30 SCT

12th Mar 06 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much longer are they going to be?
rick75

12th Mar 06 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would like some pods doing are you still doing them and do you have some piccys i really need some pods asap
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

12th Mar 06 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im interested

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events

<<  1    2  >>
Insufficient Privileges to Post

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Classifieds » Parts Offered » carbon fibre door cards (gauging interest) 26 database queries in 0.0168829 seconds