corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » petrol smell

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author petrol smell
gasman dan

User status: Offline
   27th Feb 06 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the last few days when i start my car (1.2 8v) from cold theres a really strong smell of petrol, aint really as noticeable once warmed up but am startin to worry abit now, plus its drinking petrol like an alcoholic russian would vodka. any ideas what may be wrong? i dunno much about engines n stuff but will have a go at fixin it, i just aint got a clue where to start lookin. thanks guys
Skylined

27th Feb 06 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get that sometimes (also 1.2 8v) usually when i'm stood for a while (mcdonalds drive thru etc).
Not got the petrol problem thought mine seems alright.
greengoddess

27th Feb 06 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say you have got a leak somewhere in the engine bay.My dad had the same thing on his car and it was a leak at one of the fuel lines.
Its best to check for a leak when the engine is cold as the fuel will not evaporate as quick as when its warm.
Try running your finger round the fuel lines in the engine bay.
ed

27th Feb 06 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where's the smell coming from? It must be leaking from the fuel lines if you care only experienceing this while the engine is turned on.
gasman dan

28th Feb 06 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv never noticed it while engine aint on, i presumed the smell was comin from the exhaust where does the petrol line run underneath the car n what diameter is it roughly? i checked all the air feeds today at work n couldnt see anything obviously loose/ worn/ fecked. are there any common places that wear, that i ought 2 check?
ed

28th Feb 06 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My fuel tank corroded up badly where some monkey bashed an exhaust pipe into it while fitting the fecker. Made the tank leak, but there were no drips or a visable hole - just a strong smell of fuel...

I don't think that fuel pipes really wear, they only really get damaged. The best place to start is on the o/s of the car in front of the rear wheel arch. All the cars fuel lines have joints and run along that side of the car the the engine there. Check and see if one of the clips is broken or the fuel filter is damaged as that is located there.
gasman dan

28th Feb 06 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers matey,ill have a gander 2moro if i get chance

New Poll