corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Tuned 1.6 performance

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tuned 1.6 performance
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Feb 06 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what you want from the car, a project that will rev like buggery and go well then tune the 1.6

a car that goes well on motorways etc... then fit a c20xe

the 1.6 is not the easiest option and as far as im aware you cant keep the air con.
Rileysport

13th Feb 06 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa1600
SRi-Co, that interesting to hear! Is it the XE lump you have in yours?

If i were to put an XE or XEV in, would i need to change my front FK Supertec springs or could they handle it? Id i reduced the the weight at the front with bucket seats ans maybe a carbon bonnet or something!

Can you retain aircon with a 2.0 conversion?

Cheers mate

yeah i'm running an xe, using bilstein shocks and some 40mm springs upfront, no anti roll bar either. Its stable even at speed and doesn't understeer anything like it did before the 2.0 went in. Had a few handling issues at first, but that's because i had a balljoint fail
Rileysport

13th Feb 06 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
i still say a 1.6 will handle better, end of, im not the only one to say it. people who build the engines say it will handle better..... they race cars so they know... why did vauxhall build the super 1600? they could get good power from it to win classes and it handled well

dare say you're right, its just some people give the impression that the 2.0's just don't go round corners, this isn't the case
broster
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i admit they do, but i believe the 1.6 is better lol mainly as i have one
Dean_W

13th Feb 06 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
i admit they do, but i believe the 1.6 is better lol mainly as i have one

I'll go with you on that one Broster.

Would rather have a tuned 1.6
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it sounds like there are strong arguments for both the 1.6 and 2.0 engines. I think i am probably more likely to tune my current engine as it seems a shame to get rid of such a new engine and one in such good condition.

Do people rate the mantzel jobbie over the dbilas one? the dbilas seems slightly more expensive but is tehre much in them?

Am i right in saying it is about £400 for having a unichip fitted and set up?
Jamie Walby

13th Feb 06 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just started gathering the parts I need to throttle body my 1.6. I have been telling Broster I dont want as much power as he has but he doesnt realise I am aiming for 182bhp
Dean_W

13th Feb 06 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa1600
it sounds like there are strong arguments for both the 1.6 and 2.0 engines. I think i am probably more likely to tune my current engine as it seems a shame to get rid of such a new engine and one in such good condition.

That was my point exactly. My engine has done 49K, more than half of that I have done. So I'll keep that and not put a ragged to fcuk C20Xe in it.
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i think thats a fair point Dean! nice one! if i wanted someone to fit the manifold for me, how much do you think it would cost? and how about the dastek unichip fitting?

cheers
Dean_W

13th Feb 06 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The unichip i've only started to look into myself. So i'm not too sure.

The mantzel took around 4 hours. Ignore my previous post, I was thinking of the wrong part.

I payed £80. Most garages I took it to said they didn't want to know, or quoted me crazy money. I ended up taking it to a guy who I used to work with. You could do it yourself if you have a bit of know how and patience.

The hardest part was re-routing all the coolant hoses, taking out the plastic inlet round the back of the engine and hooking up the vacum hoses.
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats great! cheers dean! been a great help, ill come back to you if i may if i have any other queries

Phil
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

13th Feb 06 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had both a mantzel inlet se-up, and currently tb's. more info:

my old spec:

fully rebuilt x16xe
mantzel
gas flowed head
matched inlet
enlarged throttle body
janspeed
manifold
de-cat
exhaust system
de-restricted airbox
k&n
custom management and loom
arp rod bolts
sbd rollers

and a few other bits...... 155 bhp @ 7350 rpm

Current spec:

fully rebuilt x16xe
gas flowed head
Novatech 40mm taper throttle bodies
speedex 30 degree inlet
janspeed manifold
de-cat
exhaust system
pipercross filters
omex 500 management
home made loom
arp rod bolts
sbd rollers

was around 160 bhp @ 7500 rpm but feels a lot better with the new speedex inlet and im getting some verniers next week, then off to noble motorsport for a re-map on thursday

If you look at it, there isnt much difference in the figures, but it not all about the figures its how the car drives. the mantzel did produce 155 bhp, but power only came in after 5000 rpm. with the tb's its there from 2000 rpm.

by the time i was happy with the mantzel set-up i had spent as much money as the throttle bodies would cost. my advice would be to save up and get some tb's second hand. i sold a full jenvey set-up recently for £700 and all that would be neede is management and a loom on top of that (about £400 second hand)

to sum it all up, if you want good cheap power, get a mantzel and stop there. if you are going for unichips etc... wait and get tb's. the mantzel route is a bit of a dead end and not a 'real' 140 bhp in my opinion.

as for the 2 litre conversion, i have done a few and the handling isnt as good as a tuned 1.6 and they are nowhere near as much fun. My corsa out handles and out performs my mates 2 litre corsa in every way.
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is interesting to hear, cheers corsa808! How much would a full jenvey set up cost?

thing is by the time i can really afford to do much to the car, it will be a few years down the line and i will probably be coming around for a car change!

Did speak to SBD a while back and think the price was around the 2k mark without fitting!

I would love to install throttle bodies, but i fear i might not be able to afford it! any info would be great,

cheers
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me and a mate fitted the inlet manifold on my old engine. nothing too tricky, allow yourself atleast half a day though. Got amazing results too. took it out and it was so much quicker high up the rev range! Had it rolling roaded before and after and showed a 23 Bhp gain. that was with an exhaust system and without touching the engine management. well worth it

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow, was that with the mantzel? thats a cracking gain! think i will probably end up going down this route, throttle bodies are just going to be out of my price range! was it jsut top end there was gain?
Dave A

13th Feb 06 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

23 bhp gain?

so managed 130bhp without management etc, thats well above most. expect 120-125 with just an inlet and exhaust.
Basscrazy

13th Feb 06 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is such a good read as im jumping onto 1.6 thats with manztel and enlarged body does the enlarged body make much of a difference?

only thing is ive never driven the engine before the manzel so i wont see a difference but basically i wont notice it unless i get it chipped?
Dave A

13th Feb 06 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really much difference with the enlarged body. i did it because its cheap and i had a spere throttle body laying round.
Dean_W

13th Feb 06 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
not really much difference with the enlarged body. i did it because its cheap and i had a spere throttle body laying round.

Was thinking of doing this with my other mods.

Do you think it's worth it?

Courtenay say more throttle response blah blah blah.......

Any gen?
Dave A

13th Feb 06 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, i didnt notice much difference.
Dean_W

14th Feb 06 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That'll do then.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll