corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Using multiple displays on a PC and having them the same?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using multiple displays on a PC and having them the same?
Welsh Dan

User status: Offline
10th Feb 06 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought a new graphics card, which has two outputs. I want to connect a monitor, and my flatscreen telly to the two outputs, but for them to show the same picture, rather than just stretch the desktop between the two. How do I do it? Its pissing me off as it will only use the same desktop (I.e. I can move icons between the screens), rather than exactly the same being shown on both.
Tiger

10th Feb 06 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have software with the card that contains setup I think?
Welsh Dan

10th Feb 06 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, its not got anything that I can see, only the basic drivers. I'm downloading the ATI tools now, to see if that makes any difference.
ed

10th Feb 06 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In Windows you right click the desktop, click options then go to settings. In settings you click on you secondary screen and un-check the tick box at the bottom that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
Jules

10th Feb 06 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=56
Someone in geek day might know
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Feb 06 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thread moved to Geek Day - same as the last one about computers which was also moved.

Any chance of posting in the right place?
Welsh Dan

10th Feb 06 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
un-check the tick box at the bottom that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

When I do that though, I can't see anything on the second screen.
Welsh Dan

10th Feb 06 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is why I don't post in geek day. No one bloody answers questions.
sukhwant

11th Feb 06 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ati can do this, need to go into the ati display settings and click on the button for clone display, i've got this but for somereason video dont display on both monitors... strange
John

11th Feb 06 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
This is why I don't post in geek day. No one bloody answers questions.

You have not even given us the make of graphics card.
As I always say when people moan at geek day, most questions are answered very quickly.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 06 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its ATI, enable DualView in the ATI panel before you tick the 'Extend my Desktop' in display properties.

Ideally we do need more to go on though...
Welsh Dan

11th Feb 06 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rightyoo
Its a connect3D GTO, PCI-E card with the radeon chip. I've now got it running on both displays, as a clone of each other. The only problem i'm having now is with the resolutions.
If I have it so the monitor is perfect, I have to scroll the screen on the telly and if I get it so its perfect on the telly, I can't read the writing properly on the monitor

[Edited on 11-02-2006 by Welsh Dan]
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 06 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the TV is a clone of the monitor then you wil have this problem. You would be better running them as two separate displays with DualView so you can set resolution for each one, then if you want to watch a film etc. on the TV just move Media Player to that screen before you do an Alt-Enter to full screen it.
Welsh Dan

11th Feb 06 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its more so for games that I was trying to get it to work. I want it so that I can play games on the television too as its got a better picture.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 06 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Games are a funny one as they don't work with multiple monitors so well. On my old ATI card I used to get a full screen on one monitor with the game on, then the other monitors would be like half a screen on each like they had been pushed up sideways.

You might have to manually enable/disable the displays and pick the res when you do that before you start the game up.
ed

12th Feb 06 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
quote:
Originally posted by ed
un-check the tick box at the bottom that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

When I do that though, I can't see anything on the second screen.
Hmmm, which graphics card are you running? I can do that and set the resolution of each screen with my Nvidia GeForce...
Welsh Dan

12th Feb 06 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a Connect3D GTO
(ATI Radion X800). I can set the resolutions independantly, but only when i'm running them as one desktop across two monitors, rather than as a clone of each other.
Bart

12th Feb 06 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you get anything on the other TV?
I had a spot of trouble with this last night.
I have lost season 2 episodes 1-13 which i wanted to watch on the TV so i hooked up the PC to the 32" LCD. I was having trouble getting them both on (i actually think i had the wrong lead) in the end i took off my monitor and just used the TV, worked a peach.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Feb 06 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who wants a kiss

New Poll