corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Quick Tyres Question!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick Tyres Question!
mwg

User status: Offline
29th Dec 05 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My bro needs new tyres for his Corsa. Its got standard 14" SXi alloys on it. The tyre size at the moment is 165/65 R14 79T

I've rung up some tyre places and they are saying its a bit of an odd size and its more expensive because of that. So if he were to put on 185/60 R14 82 H tyres would it affect the car badly in anyway? Presume the wider tyres will still fit over the wheel. Might be better going for the lower profile tyres if they will fit ok as I'm thinking it will be better for handling. I just want to check that those tyres will be ok for his car!

Thanks
Will_Sport

29th Dec 05 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont go wider on those, rubber will move too much, you want some 15" before you start going up to that size
mwg

29th Dec 05 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do you mean the rubber will move too much?
Will_Sport

29th Dec 05 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will if the rubber is hanging off the edges it'll flex too much and you'll loose grip.

the tyres need to hold nicely in shape (hence low profile tyres holding better)

apparently some performance vaux website reckons 15" rims (tigra/corsa B) are better with 185 tyres rather than 195 for handling as an example
Will_Sport

29th Dec 05 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although low profile will be better as you say, the rubber will be too wide for the rim, may even lead to them wearing uneven, going out of alignment etc
mwg

29th Dec 05 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the cars manual it lists the 185/60 R14 as one of the standard tyres?
Will_Sport

29th Dec 05 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guh? the 1.6 corsa sports have those alloys which take 185 tyres... i don't know if the actual rim is wider though.

best bet is just get some tigra alloys... they'll cost less than a set of tyres lol
mwg

29th Dec 05 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I mean is that in the manual where the tyre pressures are for the X12XE engine which is what my bros is there are 3 tyre sizes listed.

One of them is for a 13" wheel
then the other 2 are 165/65/R14 and 185/60 R14 so just presumed that meant that he'd be able to put either of those tyres on?

New Poll