corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Removing Brake Drum

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Removing Brake Drum
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Dec 05 at 00:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right,
my Corsa starting making a noise from the nearside rear wheel while drving the other day, so got home and wheel was very hot, which lead me to believe its the brakes.
On Friday, me and my Dad attempted to take the drum off to inspect it, and see if we could find the problem. However, we can't get the drum out. Basically, the pins securing the shoes to the backplate have fallen out, meaning the washer and retaining spring have both fallen into the drum. As a result, the drum will now not come off, as the shoes are jammed inside the drum, but still attached to the backplate by the handbrake.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

27th Dec 05 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Siberia

27th Dec 05 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just keep smacking it with a hammer it will come off eventually...
R16AN H

27th Dec 05 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you can mate,de adjust the handbrake,probably best to use a pair of grips and a 13mm spanner.once you have done that,use 2 long screwdrivers top and bottom and lever the drum of bit by bit.hope this helps
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

27th Dec 05 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, but I tried both of those last time guys, put an old steel wheel on and smacked it with a mallet, but didnt shift.
also tried levering it off, but no response from it, even though handbrake cable is slack.
any other ideas?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 01:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
fragpot

29th Dec 05 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take out the split pin and undo the castle nut. Put the wheel back on and leather the shit out it with a sledge hammer. Failing that...

tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

29th Dec 05 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was thinking about cutting the drum off, but in the end we managed to use a puller to get the drum far enough away from the backplate to get a screwdriver in there, and lever the shoes away from the clip at the bottom, all came apart then! Anyway, we have just come back in from replacing the brakes, have only done one side though, as its bloody snowing! think its -2C outside here!
CorsAsh

30th Dec 05 at 01:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In future, the easiest way to get the drum off is to put a wheel back onto it once you've removed the castellated nut etc, put a couple of wheel bolts in, and just pull on the wheel. You'll have a much better grip of that, and it'll all just pop off into your hand.

I fought for ages with mine once til i thought of that, and it works a treat.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

30th Dec 05 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
Thanks, but I tried both of those last time guys, put an old steel wheel on and smacked it with a mallet, but didnt shift.
also tried levering it off, but no response from it, even though handbrake cable is slack.
any other ideas?

Like it says, we tried that, but nothing happened, due to the shoes being pushed out into the drum, but also being attached to the handbrake cable, so nothing happened. Only way to do it was out way in the end.
Thanks anyway
PaulW

30th Dec 05 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your replacing the drum & brakes, then just bolt a wheel on as said with castlenut removed & keep yanking it
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

30th Dec 05 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all done now, we did as above, with the puller
Siberia

30th Dec 05 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good idea lads would have never though of that... could have saved myself 1/2 hour with a hammer

New Poll