corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Lowering the Roof Lining

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lowering the Roof Lining
Phil McGlassup

User status: Offline
26th Dec 05 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello All,

I'm about to fit a CB to my Corsa B and was hoping to fix the antenna mount in the centre of the roof by drilling a hole and passing the coax between the the roof and the roof lining to the A pillar.
I would like to know if it will be a big job to lower enough of the headlining to get in to tighten the mount properly and then replace the lining without a lot of aggro!! I've used mag mounts and hatch mounts in the past but they're unreliable - either getting nicked or coming loose. Any info or guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil.
flash22

26th Dec 05 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think it would be worth the hassle. hatch mounts are a waste of time as the radiation pattern is wrong i have had hf whips (1.8m tall)on my car with a 3 magnet mag mount with no problems

what aerial are you using ???

if you drill a hole in the roof when/if you sell the car you will have to make that hole good whats more hassle than its worth

dont know what the cb is like up there down in the london/kent area its dead just the odd few truckers use it. pmr 446 is quite popular tho

what rig have you got to go in the corsa ?

[Edited on 26-12-2005 by flash22]
Phil McGlassup

26th Dec 05 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Maycom EM27 rig and have been offered a Thunderpole Voyager antenna. Having a hole in the roof to sort out when I sell the car won't be a problem as I intend to run it into the ground anyway Having rigs in cars is becoming more popular up here because of mobile speed traps etc though CBs are still few and far between. I was hoping that a roof mount would be a good permanent solution!!

Cheers,

Phil.
mattyross

26th Dec 05 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i too have a maycom EM-27 rig in my corsa- im running it off a hatch boot bracket mount, with a removable screw type antenna.
my first mobile setup, as i've only recently been introduced to CB for cruise convoys etc.

the setup works absolutely fine, low SWR across all bands with very little fluctuation whilst mobile.

mounted the rig itself on the plastic shelf below the glove box- with a small extension speaker mounted behind, all fixed into place with brackets.
microphone sits in the ashtray, on the centre console.
the hatch boot bracket is clamped onto the top nearside lip, even fits with my GSI spoiler, due to a handy recess.
the co-ax goes from within the boot, down the interior trim upon the roof lining, and down the A pillar within the car.

no mess, no fuss, removalble at any time- good clean job

..i can post some pics if you're interested mate
mattyross

26th Dec 05 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can prob see the boot bracket on the top there, fitting well with the spoiler.
antenna was unscrewed and in the boot- cant remember the name off by heart, its about a 5' whip tho.

tried mag mounts, but never got on with them- cant be doing with them scratching your paint and risking them moving under heavy cornering/braking

like you said, if you intend to drive the car into the ground- you may as well make it a permanent thing of it.
..just noticed you're a grimsby breaker too, not too far from my patch
Phil McGlassup

26th Dec 05 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think that many others would have rigs fitted I thought they might be classed as 'nerdy' and out dated!!

Is it a big job to lower the roof lining a tad in order to fit a roof mount? The Haynes manual says leave it to an expert but if I could just remove one or two trim parts to lower the lining a little to gain access to the centre of the roof 'twould be a good solution

by the way, thanks for the replies/ photo!

Cheers,

Phil.
mattyross

26th Dec 05 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil McGlassup
I didn't think that many others would have rigs fitted I thought they might be classed as 'nerdy' and out dated!!

nahh, they're great pieces of kit. im 18 and have only been working CB for 4 months or so- its invaluable in my car.
yea you get one person that thinks it's wank "why dont you just use hand-held radio"
its great in cruise convoys, we've got 3 or 4 cars wired up now, its a good laugh

as for your roof lining, i dont know a great deal, cos i havn't researched it
i'd take a guess at adding a thick plastic washer to space it out, in conjunction with a longer bolt perhaps?
or maybe just cut out a small hole in the lining, where the antenna initially protrudes.
the piece of plastic trim on the edge of the lining above the top of the doors is ideal, thats where i routed my cable.
just loosen the torx bolts and pull it away, to feed in the wire- fits perfect.

hope this helps, 73s
Phil McGlassup

26th Dec 05 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that. I'll have a look at it and see how I get on. Will post some piccies once the job is done

Cheers,

Phil.
flash22

26th Dec 05 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok been on the cb for more years than i care to remember

i have a few rigs here the newest being em-27 modded to 400 ch mobile i was running and old school sigma oneflex with a 1:1.2 swr. also used to run a homebase with an antron A99 aerial and used to do a lot of dx work. if ya got any questions just pm me or post

anyhoo the roof linning should come down easyly open the boot and remover the boot rubber from the roof. if you have rear grab handels un screw them you may have to remover the c-post trims bit you may be able to get the trim down far enough to do what you need to.

edit. if your looking for radio gear,etc try these guys. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rocket-Group-Radio-Communications resonable prices a fast delivery too

Phil McGlassup

27th Dec 05 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks alot

Have any of you guys ever used a 'burner'? I don't know that much about CBs but I assume that they amplify the transmission signal but have no effect on received signal plus I believe ther're illegal

Is that right?

Cheers,

Phil.
flash22

27th Dec 05 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil McGlassup
Thanks alot

Have any of you guys ever used a 'burner'? I don't know that much about CBs but I assume that they amplify the transmission signal but have no effect on received signal plus I believe ther're illegal

Is that right?

Cheers,

Phil.

yes to all of above but thay do increase the recived signal a tad the uk limit is 4 watts but if you have a good aerial\coax it wont be a problem the higher the gain of the aerial the more power you output but you got to take into account of the losses in the coax and plugs something along these lines.

Rig is 4watts and the aerial has a 9db gain so total max output would be around 40 watts minus 0.5bd gain for every plug/join and minus 0.1 for every metre of coax SO 4w x 9db = 40w (roughly) -1db(for 2 plugs)- 0.5 (for 5m of coax) = 4w x 7.5db = 28w rf output.

there are a few variables such as aerial location and quality of the plugs,coax and mounts and of corse the swr
Phil McGlassup

28th Dec 05 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top info dude
Where is the best point to connect the 12v supply wire for the rig? Could I connect it to the supply wire for the head unit?

Cheers,

Phil.

New Poll