corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » some of a friends pics

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author some of a friends pics
myke

User status: Offline
14th Nov 05 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alan from work has been quite keen on photography since earlier this year.
apparently the editor from national geographic is pretty keen on some of his pics.

here's some of what he does.
http://www.treknature.com/members/liquidsunshine/photos/

he's also in the process of setting up a sports photography company, but i can't remember what his website is.
he's done the british a1gp, a driving experience day and a husky racing event.

what do you guys thinnk of some of his shots?
vibrio
Banned

14th Nov 05 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really nicely exposed and colourfull shots. all the same though
myke

15th Nov 05 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he's not even been doing it a year so i think it's just been zoo's and wildlife parks so far.
i'll pop up the sporting links one if i remember to get the url.

he called a sports photography agency to see about getting some work but they said he needed a £3.5k lens.
vibrio
Banned

15th Nov 05 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Nov 05 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah he's using a Sigma 50-500, although that is a very long lens and comparable in length to something costing 7 times the price, its not very bright so speed is a problem. Means it would be rubbish for sports where you need to freeze the action, like football.

Good for motorsport though.

Lenses can be hired also if there's money in the job. Do you have a Calumet nearby?
SetH

15th Nov 05 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some awesome pics in there
myke

15th Nov 05 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never heard of calumet before, but just had a quick look.
the Euston branch is probably closest, but if he's traveling to matches and events about the place then there may be stores on route.

he'll spend the money if he needs to and if it'll see him right in the long run. it's just a lot to fork out in one go.

i think he's just gotta take the plunge if he wants to do it professionally.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Nov 05 at 02:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He doesn't need to spend money, the only difference between what is classed as consumer gear and top end pro stuff is that the consumer gear will miss the shot occasionally whereas the pro stuff tends not to. If he's stocked up on batteries and memory and happy to sort through all the shots to pick the keepers then he will come away with the same number of pics as someone who has thrown money at the problem.

The next challenge is getting media passes which as soon as he has a few will get easier. If its motorsport he's after getting in to start with track day and private days and also the odd car show never hurt. From there motor club passes for local motorsport, then back to the circuits to approach them about big events.

btw Calumet needs deposits I forget to mention. I hired a lens which at the time was would have cost a grand and they took nearly that as a deposit. They also don't carry every lens and special stuff will need ordering in and dispatching to the store he's collecting from.

[Edited on 16-11-2005 by Ian]
myke

17th Nov 05 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the info.
here's his sporting events gallery:
http://www.sporting-aspects.co.uk/events.cfm

I think the nature ones are a little better, but he's had more practice at that.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » some of a friends pics 24 database queries in 0.0067761 seconds