corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Big brake upgrade

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Big brake upgrade
James R

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 05 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been workign on this for a few weeks and should be testing it out late next week, with any luck.
An dI'm thinking of making it up as a kit for ppl to buy, so this is to see if anyones interested basically.

The kit is designed to be used with the 2L calipers and yokes on a brakect to space out the calipers to run on 300mm rotors. It is a 2 piece set up with a seperate alloy bell and a rotor. This is similar to the Reyland set up, but the rotor is a custom made item rather than a cast std disk with the top cut off, this save weight. Currently the prototype is weighing in at 4.8kgs for the whole disc assembley. For comparision a V6 disc weighs in at 8.9kgs and that's a 288mm discs, so the saving is pretty huge. Also warping is much less likely as the bell can disipate heat much faster than cast iron

It will fit under a 15" wheel size or bigger.

As for cost I'm discussing this with the machine shop, as if they are doign bulk it will be viable, but if not then it will cost a bit more, so a group buy may be on the books for this. but it will hopefully be in the £300-350 bracket.

Here's some pics, the finish of the bell in the end will be a dark grey/light gun metal finish as they will be hard anodised to give them very good anti corrosion and surface stress resiastance.

James
timrud_

3rd Nov 05 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James..... can you not find a car that comes with 4 pots as standard, get down the scrappers, get some calipers and try and make them fit?

Will put the price up a little, but it will be a proper 4 pot kit then, a lot more marketable at the price your looking ot sell at!
Mattb

3rd Nov 05 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evo calipers... can pick up a set of front and rear calipers for £3-400
BeArDy

3rd Nov 05 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheapest set are Fiat 20v brembos are 4 pots cost about £160 plus the discs are very close fit to Corsa in the PCD
fragpot

3rd Nov 05 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a set of Fiat coupe brembos from a scrappy for £20. Seen them on eBay for £150 - 200 ish.
James R

3rd Nov 05 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason I'm not running 4-pots with this set up is I have 1.5cm clearance, and you'll find you need about double that to fit 4-pots in.
Also adding 4-pots adds weight. Bearing in mind a full AP set up with good 4-pots will set you back 1300+VAT
This is aimed at ppl with anorexic cars who are concered with weigh and stopping performance, not that they can say they ahve four pots.
I'm looking at calipers to run, which I think I've tracked down, but this is a simple bolt up upgrqade at the mo, with eay to get hold of pads.

I recommend ferrodo DS2500 pads.
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Nov 05 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd consider them if they prove better than v6 brakes and would fit under my MOs
Siberia

3rd Nov 05 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 4-pot caliper would be lighter than a 2.0 one... well the reyland ones would be anyways...

cost is an issue though...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Big brake upgrade 23 database queries in 0.0093980 seconds