corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Monitoring start up processes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Monitoring start up processes
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 05 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My computer takes ages to start up and its ages before I can do anything after I've logged in, is there something that can log stuff like that or display it, so I can uninstall, disable stuff? Running Win 2000.
gooner_47

23rd Sep 05 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Start - Run - msconfig

Startup tab, uncheck what you don't need. http://www.processlibrary.com/ handy site for finding out what each process is associated with.

A program I use called Spy Sweeper, monitors PC in real time, and alerts you if something is trying to add another process to the startup.
_Allan_

23rd Sep 05 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HijackThis (Program) - Free

Guide here...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42

[Edited on 23-09-2005 by _Allan_]
jamesw

23rd Sep 05 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

microsoft made a program called bootvis, is now disconntinued as far as i know but should be able to get hold of it, basically it will make a tracefile of a bootup process and show exactly whats taking the time - also has an optimize fuction to rearrange files etc etc mixed reports really ive used it on loads of systems that have taken a while to bootup and have worked very well, however tried it on mine that booted up pretty quick to start with and actually made it slower.

[Edited on 23-09-2005 by jamesw]
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Sep 05 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only about about 20 processes running on startup, no spyware and been through services.msc etc., but its still slow with loads of HDD activity!
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Sep 05 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers James I'll check that out.
ed

24th Sep 05 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have any network connections that aren't connected? Windows gets very stressed out if it cannot connect to the things it wants to!
Cybermonkey

25th Sep 05 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, might well be Explorer.exe. there is a scrpit problem where this service will literally hog all system resources, causing massive slowdown.
heres a test to see if its explorer.exe causing the problems, open up My Computer and leave it there for a sec, ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager and keep an eye on explorer.exe in the processes tab, right click on D: and hold it there, or whatever cdrom is used without a CD in the drive, and watch to see if explorer.exe hangs about with near 100% CPU time for longer than a second, if it does and doesnt drop back down to idle time.
Try going through the Windows Explorer settings and make it a SEPARATE PROCESS.

The 100% pegging can occur when the desktop is trying to render a lot of information, but WinExplorer is equally trying to process folder and drive stuff.
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Sep 05 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It didn't display the menu for a second or so, but processor usage was normal. I'll try running for a bit with explorer as a separate process though, see how that affects things.

New Poll