corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Quick Laptop and Wireless internet question.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick Laptop and Wireless internet question.
Tiger

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 05 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My desktop PC is a AMD1400+ and my mums laptop is a 2.6GHz Pentium 3. Her laptop seems so rediculously slow compared to my pc. The laptop has a basic XP install with a few package programs and as yet no added programs whereas my PC is 75% full of stuff and is still faster.

How do I completely wipe the HD of the laptop? The recovery disc she got has some real shit bundled software that I dont want the laptop to have on there so I want to install off my XP Pro disc from scratch.

On to Wireless Internet - Ive got a router, now I just want a very easy to use wireless system - any reccomendations?

Thanks very much,

Ben.
Sam
Premium Member

2nd Jul 05 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be able to boot from the XP disc, and I believe you can delete the partition that the current installation is on, create a new one, and format it all in the setup program.

As for wireless, I have a laptop at home with wireless capabilities, and use a Linksys broadband modem/router, so you have 4 RJ45 ports as well as unlimited wireless access. There's probably better solutions available but this is what I'm currently running at home.
MarkM

2nd Jul 05 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Belkin wireless router...like sam's has 4 ports...and WAN unlimited connections...G rating...

Andrew

2nd Jul 05 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laptops use slower parts to make the battery last longer.

Plus, it depends what you have on the system.
Tiger

2nd Jul 05 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok - next problem. I went to do an install off my XP Pro (SP1) through Windows and it wont do it because the version on the laptop is newer (SP2) so it says to restart and boot up off disc - which i selected in setup menu but it just keeps booting off the HD. Any ideas now?

Cheers.
Aaron

2nd Jul 05 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go into the bios, press either F2 or the DELETE key as soon as the laptop begins to boot. You need to change the boot sequence to make it boot from the cd drive first
Tiger

2nd Jul 05 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The CD ROM drive is set to boot first but its still not spinning up the CDROM drive (which is ok by the way)

The laptop just keeps booting from HD for some reason even though its set to boot off cdrom now.
Tiger

2nd Jul 05 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The order of boot is: CDROM > HD > Removable Device > Network.

Ive even changed it to: Removable Device > CDROM > HD > Network and it still didnt work. If I put network before HD it comes up with something about PXE.
Dan B

2nd Jul 05 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it let you disable every boot-device apart from CD-ROM?
Tiger

2nd Jul 05 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No.
Dom

2nd Jul 05 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will need to create another boot cd or floppy, with fdisk or something and format the partion that way - then boot up from the XP cd
Carr

24th Jul 05 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About wireless internet I'm looking at getting a laptop soon but don't fancy shelling out on a broadband account for the few months I'll be at home.
We have a broadband account on the home pc so was wondering if you can use the laptop with this account in any way? I don't have a wireless router as yet but have a speedtouch 510/30 (not sure which) that has 4 ethernet connections in the back so could run a cable to my laptop.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Quick Laptop and Wireless internet question. 23 database queries in 0.0101459 seconds