corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » job interview tomorrow - any hints and tips?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author job interview tomorrow - any hints and tips?
M2RTY

User status: Offline
6th Jun 05 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hate interviews, and this one has group work and individual tests, BOTH of which I have never done before at an interview.

spent 300 notes on new clothes today to look the part, was told at 12 o/'clock to be in leeds for 9am!!

any hints and tips? already read up about the company, sorting out directions now, got my CV ready, pen paper and calculater, change of tie incase i feel like it lol!

out i missed?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the boss says "where do you see yourself in 6 months time" dont say "doing your wife".
Phil321

6th Jun 05 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the job Marv?

If its a grad role then expect loads of competency questions.

Why that company?
Why that role?
Why are you suited?
What do you envisage the role to involve?
Example of a time you worked in a team?
Problems when you worked in a team?
How you overcame them?
You role in a team?
What makes a strong leader?
What motivates you?
Example of a time when you showed initiative?
Greatest achievement?
Failure and how you overcame it?
Time management?
Commercial issues affecting the industry?
Example of when you worked under pressure/to a tight deadline?
Where do you see yourself in three/five years?

Thats the sort of thing I got asked in initial screening interviews for grad jobs - mainly finance/investment banking sectors but I'd imagine there will be a lot of overlap.
Haimsey
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn up good luck

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Haimsey
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one question they will probably ask is y?

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Lynny

6th Jun 05 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try and talk as much as you can, the more you speak, they more chance you have of gettin the job, remember you are there to show them what you're like, not to listen to them. also 95% of interviews are decided within the first minute of the interviewee meeting the panel/interviewer, make a good confident impression but not threatening, and you'll be fine
CorsAsh

6th Jun 05 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wear a low cut top and flash your nipples every so often...
Adam-D

6th Jun 05 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

offer sexual favours in return for more power/money
Simon L

6th Jun 05 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you put on your invisible pimp hat.

Be confident and friendly.
Phil321

6th Jun 05 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lynny
try and talk as much as you can, the more you speak, they more chance you have of gettin the job, remember you are there to show them what you're like, not to listen to them. also 95% of interviews are decided within the first minute of the interviewee meeting the panel/interviewer, make a good confident impression but not threatening, and you'll be fine

I fear this is absolute bollocks - no disrespect.
Lynny

6th Jun 05 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they'll often start with alot of factual, biographical questions which are redundant as you've already answered them on your application form, these just tends you calm you down and eas you into the interview.
make more eye contact and more positive facial expressions and you'll be seen more as bein interesting and relaxed.
show yourself to be assertive and confident (but not cocky) by askin questions and arguing your point.
self projection - minimise links to negative events, justify your arguments, etc
ingratiation centred on the interview - try to compare similar opinions, attitudes and values, backround, leisure interests, etc
self promotion - exaggeration, personal stories, information filtering, maximise your links to successful links or people

but remember 60% of your interview is through non-verbal communication, by mirroring the interviewers non-verbal behaviour, you're more likely to make him sub-consciencely like you more
Lynny

6th Jun 05 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil321
quote:

its not my opinion, its fact, loads of psychological studies have been carried out on this, check out work by herriot, tullar, anderson, etc if you think im talking bollocks mate

[Edited on 06-06-2005 by Lynny]
M2RTY

6th Jun 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks all

its a grad management possition for enterprise rent a car, get my own branch in north east if i get the job and last 2 years
Phil321

6th Jun 05 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
its not my opinion, its fact, loads of psychological studies have been carried out on this, check out work by herriot, tullar, anderson, etc if you think im talking bollocks mate

Forget the books. Top grad jobs are very hard to get and that crap won't help.

Also, for what its worth Marv, avoid Enterprise, Avis etc like the plague.
M2RTY

7th Jun 05 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Forget the books. Top grad jobs are very hard to get and that crap won't help.

Also, for what its worth Marv, avoid Enterprise, Avis etc like the plague.

how come?
Phil321

7th Jun 05 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a friend on the Enterprise grad scheme. They treat them like crap. Ends up washing cars and all manner of rubbish jobs. They're notorious for it.

How did the interview go anyway?
M2RTY

7th Jun 05 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I have a friend on the Enterprise grad scheme. They treat them like crap. Ends up washing cars and all manner of rubbish jobs. They're notorious for it.

How did the interview go anyway?

yeah they said would i mind washing cars if there was a customer waiting and i said id love it lol! its relaxing to me, and gives me a break from being in the office

interview went well, got through to the last 5 out of 20 people, after doing an initial presentation on my own, two group ones and a role play, then two interviews in the afternoon once the 5 were chosen.

funny thing is that out of the 5 chosen, i am the only one with any sort of business degree! rest of them did history, languages and psychology

everyone there was in their mid 20s, no one over 35 at a push id say, very informal interviews, all the people seemed very friendly and enjoyed what they do

where is your mate based? i was in leeds today, but they are looking for a place for me inthe north east. opening up 200 more branches in the next 5 years so could see myself being on a quite good job in a few years
cheers
Phil321

7th Jun 05 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Based in Uxbridge.

If you need good advice, try http://doctorjob.com/forum/

Theres a lot of very sad people on there but its also more than likely that if you post, someone will reply who has already been to that interview.

I found it invaluable in getting my job, really helped out.
M2RTY

7th Jun 05 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah does sound pretty crap really, at least I have learnt something from the assessment day as it is the only one I have ever been to

only good thing is i can live at home (darlington) where there is hardly any grad jobs in the area unless i drive 40 miles to newcastle every day!
Jodi_the_g

7th Jun 05 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

And I mean no disrespect, but there have been countless studies, publications and supporting evdeince that the first minute of contact with someone influences your opinion on them forever.
In most cases a minute is to long, 3 minuties is the optimen time for you to judge your views on someone, hence why speed dating is often 3 mins.
Lynny

7th Jun 05 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interviews have a VERY low reliability rate of 0.53, with validity co-efficients measured at as low as 0.13! they are reductionistic, subjective, bias and impressionistic! cant say any crap about top grab jobs being different as its down to human nature, the only way theyre improved any is if theyre situational, rather than traditional or structured, but even then theyre not perfect!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » job interview tomorrow - any hints and tips? 24 database queries in 0.2042041 seconds