corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO: Anybody that knows anything about dj equioment (help needed)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO: Anybody that knows anything about dj equioment (help needed)
keninski

User status: Offline
29th May 05 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically iv always wanted to have a go at mixing and want to pick up a cheap set of decs with a mixer so i can have a go. Simple thing is i know naff all about the equipment.

iv looked at this site

http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/deckpacks_149_249.html

and thought i would just get the one at the top. same as i say knowing nothing about this type of stuff i thought i would ask if anyone else knows anything about it?

cheers
marcbcorsa

29th May 05 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont buy belt drive turntables, your best off getting direct drive. You can still get some fairly cheaply and they are so much better for mixing with. You can pick up some gemini decks for about £60-70each on ebay that would be perfect for a beginner. Then just buy a cheapish mixer. What type of music are you looking to play? (House,prog,Trance,Hip-hop??)

Depending on the type of music, you're better off getting different types of mixer!!

Hope any of that helps!!

Marc
keninski

29th May 05 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, im looking at trance and just general dance music round at the moment mate. so how come belt drives are so crap?
Korsa

29th May 05 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cuz there driven by belts... takes a while to get upto speed, donen't hold speed very well, doesn't like slipping(holding the record waiting for a cut)

direct drives are much better bud.. work with magnets

if your just starting out and are getting into house / trance a beat counter will help you loads (has leds that flash to the beats, or displays bpm) some are intergrated into mixers now.... (although it is cheating )
keninski

29th May 05 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the halp chaps
marcbcorsa

29th May 05 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Korsa sed a bpm counter will help, but i seriously wouldnt bother. The best way is to learn how to do it without a bpm counter if you actually want to become any good. Buy what i call the mixing bible!! (How to dj properly) available in HMV. This tells you everything you need to know n guides you step by step how to mix, cue, beatmatch etc!! great little book.

Again as Korsa said, belt drive take a while to get up 2 speed and are rubbish for cueuing a track.

Marc

Carl

29th May 05 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bpm counters are useless really. and as above, make sure you get direct drive decks rather than belt drive.
mk4_astra

29th May 05 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

citronic pd45's are excellent decks, which share the same tone arm and motor as the stanton st-150's which i have and are awsome decks they're about £450 for a pair. behringer make good,cheap mixers aswell which are better than most in there price range. also if you think you will be sticking at it for a while and using your setup for the odd houseparty etc then it could be worth getting some solid, quality stuff.like stanton st-150 decks and an allen @ heath xone 32 mixer(my setup ) which is all solid biult and very good equipment. check out www.decks.co.uk for a place to buy your stuff and www.djsource.co.uk for any help
marcbcorsa

29th May 05 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ What he said!! i have the Stanton st-150's aswell, great decks with powerful motors!! The mixer i have tho is a Stanton smx400, which is great for the money. Think they go for £130 on ebay.

When u start buying records, a nice site that i use which is good for next day delivery and selection is.... www.chemical-records.com

Marc
marcbcorsa

29th May 05 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeh, may aswell do a cheeky plug for my website!!!

www.trancemissiondjs.com

You can download our mixes and get info of our nights that we're doing!! My names MarcelB on the website. Sign up to the forum and any other questions you have regarding dj'ing can be asked on there!

cheers, Marc

[Edited on 29-05-2005 by marcbcorsa]
impish

29th May 05 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd deffinatly not go for belt driven - not only are the slow to start yp at times, the sound can sound like a wave if you've got a slack belt. Belts also snap!

Ive had a few decks in my time - i have a set of vestax PDX2000's - they are the dogs balls when decks come to mind IMO.

BTW - BPM counters are always off, non matter what they say on them. So getting counters will not help you at all. Get a mixer thats got decient faders on too - like a penny & Giles one (they can basically be taken apart and cleaned) so it doesnt wear out.

Found this for you too - £325 + free mixer... looks good to me!

http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.pl?item=mostt03mosmx02pack
JOPO

29th May 05 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got numark1650s a think they would be good decks for beginners and more experienced djs,they do me fine!think u can pick them up for around the 300 mark!
and ive also got a behringer djx700 mixer,
very good mixer got it for 135 brand new!
large-sri

30th May 05 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

beat counting is simple there are 4 beats per bar and 4 bars per............whatever its called

if you count the bass drumm beat this will give you the right beat to count on. the 4 bars normally starts and in a high hat symble e.g.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
s.b.b.b - b.b.b.b - b.b.b.b - b.b.b.b -s.b.b....etc

b=bass drum s=symble

symble starts the 4 bars and finishes on a bass beat
all boring trance dance and hard house and every sort of moderm music works this way

good luck with mixing when you get your fisrt seamless mix in you will be hooked for life

[Edited on 30-05-2005 by large-sri]
mk4_astra

30th May 05 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just re read some of the other replies, dont get a mixer with bpm other some other beat l.e.d readout, you will only depend on it and you will be better off relying on your ear. if you really want to get a bpm counter then get one seperately as it will be alot more accurate
keninski

1st Jun 05 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks a lot guys, im not looking at spending too much as its only a have a go thing and the money situation isnt great at the moment.

iv seen some direct drive numark?? decks with mixer for 195. do u think these would be good enough?
Neil

1st Jun 05 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had Cheap and cheerful Soundlab belt drives for my first decks.. and they were fine for me for years and years, but I would recommend Direct drive. Numark usually make pretty solid equipment, but some can be a bit iffy.

Heres my current setup:

dave17

1st Jun 05 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i started on Numark direct drive decks (some purple ones years ago)

then i got my Vestax Pdx-2000's. oh my god they were amazing, cost me £1.5K

then i swapped em for Technics 1210's (should never of done this, were crap compared to the vestax)

now ive sold my technics and have nothing
dave17

1st Jun 05 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PDX-2000s neil i love you
Neil

1st Jun 05 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are the decks of kings
dave17

1st Jun 05 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was shit hot on my vestax, the technics held me back bigtime
sassyminx

1st Jun 05 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NeilM
They are the decks of kings

friggin noisy when ya tryin to sleep an all
MarkM

1st Jun 05 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I beg to differ on the Vestax v Technics argument...

I have 1210's...there is no replacement...mainly because most clubs have these as standard...

Neil

1st Jun 05 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I can play on both anytime I want (we have Technics in flight cases for club use).. and I prefer Vestax by far. But as I always say.. its each to their own and its usually just which you pick for yourself that you prefer.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO: Anybody that knows anything about dj equioment (help needed) 23 database queries in 0.0201378 seconds