corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Another PS3 Thread.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another PS3 Thread.....
sukhwant

User status: Offline
18th May 05 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sony's Playstation 3 to output 1080p
Tuesday, May 17 2005, 11:16 BST -- by James Welsh

The high-definition Playstation 3 will be launched in the spring of 2006, Sony has confirmed.

Sony gaming chief Ken Kutaragi said that the device is intended to be a home entertainment centre: "PS3 truly is the system to be placed in the center of living rooms in homes around the world."

The PS3 will be capable of outputting 1080p, a high definition progressive resolution of 1920x1080. Moreover, the PS3 will be capable of driving two HD displays - allowing for setups such as a panoramic gaming arena or a separate tactical data display on a secondary LCD monitor.

In line with the goal of positioning the PS3 as a home entertainment device rather than simply a gaming console, the device will be capable of playing CDs, SACDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.

No price point has been mentioned thus far; also, it is unclear whether the spring 2006 release is simultaneous worldwide.

Andrew

18th May 05 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello
Edd

18th May 05 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will it be better than the xbox 2?
Carr

18th May 05 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd_20

Not a chance of it being better than the Xbox 360
Edd

18th May 05 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carr
quote:
will it be better than the xbox 360?

Rus

18th May 05 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

pff. i believe it will
sukhwant

18th May 05 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it will, cus the xbox will be out before and then sony wil do what they do best and COPY it and improve it
Rus

18th May 05 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sukhwant

18th May 05 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sony details PlayStation 3
By Tony Smith
Published Tuesday 17th May 2005 107 GMT
Yes, the third-generation PlayStation console will indeed be called the PlayStation 3, Sony admitted last night when it unwrapped its answer to Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Revolution.

That the PS3 would use a PowerPC-based Cell processor was already well known, but Sony yesterday revealed the chip would be clocked at 3.2GHz - matching Xbox 360's PowerPC-based three-core chip - enough to yield 2.18 teraflops, the company claimed - twice what Xbox 360 will be able to pump out, apparently. There's 512KB of on-die L2 cache, and seven AltiVec vector processing units.

IBM can now rightfully claim PowerPC technology is powering every single next-generation console, and it will be interesting to see what, if any, differences exist between the CPUs in the PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution. It'll also be interesting to see how Apple leverages that fact to promote its own PowerPC-based Macs.

The PS3's CPU is backed by Nvidia's graphics chip, dubbed in this application the RSX, for "reality simulator". RSX connects directly to the CPU, with which it shares access to the PS3's 512MB of system RAM. The memory is split into two banks: 256MB of XDR clocked at 3.2GHz for the CPU's usage and 256MB of 700MHz GDDR 3 SDRAM for the RSX.

RSX was said to be twice as powerful as two Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra chips, a claim also made for Nvidia' next-generation GPU, the 'G70'. That suggests that G70 and RSX are essentially the same beast. Either way, RSX will support HDTV-resolution graphics up to 1080p. The CPU will handle the audio processing, in Dolby 5.1 with DTS.

Sony said again PS3 will use the Blu-ray Disc format, shipping with a drive that can handle BD-ROM, video BDs and PS3's own BD format, along with all the DVD-RW/+RW media, plus Super Audio CD.

The console also sports a Gigabit Ethernet port, SP/DIF digital audio output, twin independent HDMI ports, six USB 2.0 ports, plus SD, CompactFlash and Memory Stick Duo slots - a sign that Sony is now serious about no long inflicting only its own technologies on users.

Like the Xbox 360, the PS3's internal 2.5in hard drive is removable. And like the Microsoft box, the new Sony machine uses Bluetooth-based wireless controllers. There's 802.11b/g Wi-Fi on board too.

And when will all this ship? Spring 2006, said Sony, as anticpated - and right when Microsoft will launch Halo 3 for Xbox 360 as a spoiler. ®

Edd

18th May 05 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think i will just get both
Carr

18th May 05 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sukhwant
Sony details PlayStation 3
By Tony Smith
Published Tuesday 17th May 2005 107 GMT
Yes, the third-generation PlayStation console will indeed be called the PlayStation 3, Sony admitted last night when it unwrapped its answer to Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Revolution.

That the PS3 would use a PowerPC-based Cell processor was already well known, but Sony yesterday revealed the chip would be clocked at 3.2GHz - matching Xbox 360's PowerPC-based three-core chip - enough to yield 2.18 teraflops, the company claimed - twice what Xbox 360 will be able to pump out, apparently. There's 512KB of on-die L2 cache, and seven AltiVec vector processing units.

IBM can now rightfully claim PowerPC technology is powering every single next-generation console, and it will be interesting to see what, if any, differences exist between the CPUs in the PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution. It'll also be interesting to see how Apple leverages that fact to promote its own PowerPC-based Macs.

The PS3's CPU is backed by Nvidia's graphics chip, dubbed in this application the RSX, for "reality simulator". RSX connects directly to the CPU, with which it shares access to the PS3's 512MB of system RAM. The memory is split into two banks: 256MB of XDR clocked at 3.2GHz for the CPU's usage and 256MB of 700MHz GDDR 3 SDRAM for the RSX.

RSX was said to be twice as powerful as two Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra chips, a claim also made for Nvidia' next-generation GPU, the 'G70'. That suggests that G70 and RSX are essentially the same beast. Either way, RSX will support HDTV-resolution graphics up to 1080p. The CPU will handle the audio processing, in Dolby 5.1 with DTS.

Sony said again PS3 will use the Blu-ray Disc format, shipping with a drive that can handle BD-ROM, video BDs and PS3's own BD format, along with all the DVD-RW/+RW media, plus Super Audio CD.

The console also sports a Gigabit Ethernet port, SP/DIF digital audio output, twin independent HDMI ports, six USB 2.0 ports, plus SD, CompactFlash and Memory Stick Duo slots - a sign that Sony is now serious about no long inflicting only its own technologies on users.

Like the Xbox 360, the PS3's internal 2.5in hard drive is removable. And like the Microsoft box, the new Sony machine uses Bluetooth-based wireless controllers. There's 802.11b/g Wi-Fi on board too.

And when will all this ship? Spring 2006, said Sony, as anticpated - and right when Microsoft will launch Halo 3 for Xbox 360 as a spoiler. ®

So it's all scientifically proven and backed up then
sukhwant

18th May 05 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guess so, i got that from theregister.com
Carr

18th May 05 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
will it be better than the xbox 360?

Nice edit
Only reason they aren't calling it the Xbox 2 is that it will sound inferior to the Playstation 3. No idea why they chose 360 though? Maybe someone can enlighten me.
Edd

18th May 05 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the xbox going full circle?
Carr

18th May 05 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly. Maybe they just wanted something with the 3 in the title but outright couldn't just say we will go from xbox 1 to xbox 3
John

18th May 05 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

What are you basing that on exactly?
Your technical knowledge of both the chips, inside knowledge of the games, graphics and gameplay of the games that will be released?
Working out how all the different components in the 2 consoles will work with each other, the bandwidth between gpu and cpu?
The benefits and drawbacks of one architecture compared to the other?
Or did you just say that because you are an xbox fanboy and don't actually have a clue?
dave17

18th May 05 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like someone said, i think il just buy both
Skipz

18th May 05 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gettin Both..

PS3 has the capabilities to Play PSone and PS2 games, although you cant use old controllers and steering wheels..

the Spec List for the PS3 is awesome...

PLAYSTATION 3 SPECIFICATIONS

CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
--1 VMX vector unit per core
--512KB L2 cache
--7 x SPE @3.2GHz
--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
VRAM--22.4GB/s
RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:
2 teraflops

STORAGE
--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1
--SD standard/mini x 1
--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION
--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)
--USB 2.0 (wired)
--Wi-Fi (PSP)
--Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT
Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI out x 2
AV multi out x 1
Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
CD
PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation2 CD-ROM
CD-DA
CD-DA (ROM),
CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side)
DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
BD-ROM
BD

The PS3 has bluetooth

and some Computer expert can compare it to the 360... cos i cant be arsed to find the specs

[Edited on 18-05-2005 by h18_oab]
John

18th May 05 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ps3 is 0.1 teraflop faster than the 360 for any smart arse who wants to comment on the 360 being more powerfull.
However, i'll wait till I see both in action and not make decisions from a just released spec list.
Joff

18th May 05 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you idiots never learn? Specs count for nothing - the systems are nothing without killer app software.
Skipz

18th May 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
Do you idiots never learn? Specs count for nothing - the systems are nothing without killer app software.

We'll just have to see what they are like when they are finally released
Carr

18th May 05 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by x8john
quote:
quote:

What are you basing that on exactly?
Your technical knowledge of both the chips, inside knowledge of the games, graphics and gameplay of the games that will be released?
Working out how all the different components in the 2 consoles will work with each other, the bandwidth between gpu and cpu?
The benefits and drawbacks of one architecture compared to the other?
Or did you just say that because you are an xbox fanboy and don't actually have a clue?

Yup. Fanboy. Or is it due to the fact that the ps2's were meant to be well good but mine broke twice within a year before I traded all of it and got an xbox after getting no help from sony and i've had an xbox since and never had any problems with it apart from when I installed my new modem for xbox live but the bloke on the xbox live free helpline helped me set it all properley and stuff even though the modem wasnt from them or anything. So I'm basing it more on customer service and stuff. Don't know which will be better. Would get both but they will no doubt be stupid prices so theres no chance I could afford 2

New Poll