corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just got top of range 43inch Pioneer plasma

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just got top of range 43inch Pioneer plasma
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   13th May 05 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cost over 3 grand with 3 year FULL guarantee and a 5.1 pioneer DVD surround sound system(not pictured)

What type of leads should i look out for and how much should i spend on them to connect everything up???
-oxygen free
-gold plated
etc..

ive got 3 things to connect to it, DVD, SKY, VCR, would using a S-video be better than a scart for the DVD player connection??

Pablo

13th May 05 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get decent gold oxygen free cables, they may cost a bit but defo worth on a system like that! Digital leads (if needed) are alot but again u can tell the sound difference
Colin

13th May 05 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my leads etc off ebay
bradfincham

13th May 05 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ixos leads are the way to go,
dvd - tv - scart
sky - tv - scart
vcr - dvd - scart

3CorsaMeal

13th May 05 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fibre optics
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th May 05 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much should i spend Per lead roughly... is £10-20 reasonable??
oh and will a surge protection extension lead be a good idea also??

my dad just spent 3 and half grand on the thing, he will will flip out if i say it dont come with any leads

Dom

13th May 05 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Between the dvd and plasma, go component/DVI/HDMI (depends what your DVD player supports) - at worse, use s-video.
Then on the rest of your gear, use the best connections possible - ie: s-video from sky box, but scart from vcr to sky box etc.

As for cables, you want to be spending around 30-60 on each cable for decent stuff. Pop into your local richersounds and pick up some cambridge audio stuff, worth the cash and are pretty good for the cash

Also, use digital audio connections where ever you can - this will most likely be between DVD and Decoder. Again, it will either be optical connection or Coax - so people say coax is better and offers a warmer sound, but i would have a play and see what you prefer

edit - nice screen though, well worth the cash and the picture is brilliant although they arnt there "top of the range gear", if it was you'd be looking at around 10-15k for the screen alone

[Edited on 13-05-2005 by Dom]
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th May 05 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but is S-video better than scart in General, and would it benefit me on this system??

the TV has HDMI input but the DVD player has not got a output for it, only s-video, video and scart??

also, any general maintenance tips for plasma's, and any "do's" or "donts's"???

Dom

13th May 05 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
but is S-video better than scart in General, and would it benefit me on this system??

the TV has HDMI input but the DVD player has not got a output for it, only s-video, video and scart??

also, any general maintenance tips for plasma's, and any "do's" or "donts's"???

well if your DVD player has only got s-video out (that being the highest quality connection out of what you stated) then use that - but im suprised it hasnt got component out, especially as my 300 quid cambridge audio has, and i would havnt thought that pioneer would bundle a dvd with component outputs with a plasma that supports it
Even for that price (300 quid), you can get a bloody decent HDMI dvd player, which is even better, as its digital all the way to the screen

But yea, sounds like your gonna have to use s-video every where then

as for tips - when your not watching it, TURN IT OFF. Also, try not to watch too many channels with those silly corner logos as they will cause burn in. And dont leave the screen on any still images - ie: playing xbox/ps2, skys EPG etc etc Again will cause burn in. <- these are extreme cases btw, but limit it where possible
Apart from that, treat it like a normal telly - just make sure that if you hang it, you wack it on a solid brick wall and use decent bolts etc etc As they arnt exactly light
Also make sure theres plenty of space around the unit for air flow, as they do get quite hot

Joff

13th May 05 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10-15% on cabling.
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th May 05 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh sorry mate, it HAS got component-video out... (3 RCA audio type?) connections y, pb and R??????

ive never used this type of connection before ever!! so is this the best way to conenct the DVD to the TV??? whats so good about it???
drunkenfool

13th May 05 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats the one
Dom

13th May 05 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
oh sorry mate, it HAS got component-video out... (3 RCA audio type?) connections y, pb and R??????

ive never used this type of connection before ever!! so is this the best way to conenct the DVD to the TV??? whats so good about it???

Yup, thats the connection ! Its RGB, so each colour is seperate to the screen. Its alot better than s-video, especially with colours. But yes, buy a decent component set of cables (spend around 40 quid etc) and connect the dvd to the plasmas input 2(i think thats the one with component?)

Then if your sky box has s-video, use that to the plasma, same as with your vcr. Basically, just use the best connection possible - although i wouldnt bother with composite (single RCA video connection). It usually offers a worse picture than a scart connection. Just make sure that you get "full" scart connectors if your using them - again i would recommends cambridge audios scarts, gold plated etc and the cable is about an inch think and shielded

anyways heres a quick list of connections, better/worse etc etc - http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/howto-av.html
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th May 05 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one Dom,

thanks everyone
Filby1

13th May 05 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No dowt the component video leads make pic brill, but speaker wire? i have the AVR 3805 and the pioneer dv757a speakers connected by wire which for front speakers where 80 quid per meter
Filby1

13th May 05 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and ur hard pushed to here any difference
Jambo

13th May 05 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£3k
Dom

13th May 05 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Filby1
oh and ur hard pushed to here any difference

thats what all the "newbies" say tbh you will notice alot of difference between cheap 20p metre crap and lets saying a 10 quid per metre. But to some degree, i agree that that you start to pay 60,80,100+ quid per metre and you struggle to notice any difference

edit - quick suggestion though. Get flat speaker cable, as you'll beable to hide it underneath carpet/wallpaper etc So you can have a nice flush install

slugger_54132

13th May 05 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i would sya 60 quid per cable for components, 40 for digital coaxal.

Think you need to use optical from sky to htk in order to get 5.1 through it. On some films 5.1 is broadcast
langey

13th May 05 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 grand on a tele? someone has too much money knocking around.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just got top of range 43inch Pioneer plasma 23 database queries in 0.0157330 seconds