corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any computer g33k / gurus

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any computer g33k / gurus
Nismo

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by willay
sad fact: anyone can do tech support for ISPs and stuff, they make a system so any tom dick or pugnut can follow a system of steps which will solve 90% of their calls.

aye, this is usually the case - but where i was, we had to do training and all sorts - and the only stuff we had on the system was a few tools too look up accounts from the database. Rest of it had to come from knowledge, internet etc etc

Yeah they give you the basic raining and then the rest comes from you.

Like you said Willay you can deal with days when half london has lost connectivity?

I work in tech support and thats what i do aswell so either way tech support is different all round.

helpdesk , ops , engineers, list goes on its all support but different areas.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends man,

If shit really goes down its down to two things:

a) we have changed something the day before and its fucked up next days operations
b) random hardware failure
c) other stuff out of control (example: leased line goes down, we dont own the copper so we have to ring BT megastream etc).

'A' is the most stressful cause you have caused the problem, you MUST fix it ASAP.

'B' cannot be stopped cause thats just the nature of equipment

'C' - no brainer, confirm the line has gone down by looking at the routers then report the fault to the telco (Colt, Megastream etc)
Nismo

23rd Mar 05 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah totally ,

But working for tech support for a Buisness based company is allways bet than working tech support for a consumer based company.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uh... or three things
willay
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, I try to avoid any sort of end user support stuff, I just can't stand it and the problems are too frequent.

When I'm not sorting out network level stuff I'm developing the management suite, writing proposals/future projects.

IT NEVER STOPS
Half Pint

23rd Mar 05 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
yeah, I try to avoid any sort of end user support stuff, I just can't stand it and the problems are too frequent.

When I'm not sorting out network level stuff I'm developing the management suite, writing proposals/future projects.

IT NEVER STOPS

No your not, your usually on CS dossing about !
Jamie

23rd Mar 05 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Willay & Nismo
MikeD

23rd Mar 05 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think people are confused as to what tech support is, we dont sit there all day answering calls, thats what a helpdesk is for. its more likely that we are face to face with people fixing problems or working on servers and network issues

[Edited on 23-03-2005 by MikeD]
Jamie

23rd Mar 05 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The lecture we had today they made out that Tech Support was basically shite

I personally dont enjoy doing Delphi programming, I can do it now I just dont enjoy it.

So interested to learn more about Tech Support. Apparantly they also include CISCO with it.

Just seen a job in local paper for tech support

£18,000 a year with a HNC in Computing
Nismo

23rd Mar 05 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J-Me
So interested to learn more about Tech Support. Apparantly they also include CISCO with it.

Depending on the Tech Support job then yes you may get CCNA's

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any computer g33k / gurus 23 database queries in 0.0106730 seconds