corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Tutorials & FAQ » Suspension, Handling & Braking » Lowering Guide for Corsa B

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lowering Guide for Corsa B
Mistamist

User status: Offline
19th Mar 05 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was bored ad had a few minutes to spare so thought i would make a basic tutorial to lower your car

this is only the first part as i could only be bothered to do the rear springs, decided im gonna get another set of dampers as the ones i have are too stiff

Changing Rear springs:

Jack up and remove the rear wheels and put axle sttands to support the rear, put the jack under the rear beam like so:

remove the 17mm bottom damper bolt on either side:

Slowly lower the rear beam untill the spring is freed from its seats:

Align the new springs in the seats making sure you get them the right way up:

raise the beam untill the rear damper bush sits in the seat and is aligned, then fit the 17mm bolt.

tighten bolts and put your wheels back on and voila your car is lowered!

if you are also fitting new dampers ill add a bit for this another day when decide tto change mine, but its pretty simple, just remove the cover in the boot, and undo the bolt and the damper will fall out.

Ill do the fronts when i get new shorter dampers as its sitting on the bumpstops at the moment.

Hope this helps some people.

good luck

[Edited on 26-11-2006 by Ian]
Mistamist

User status: Offline
24th Mar 05 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right got round to doin the fronts

Lowering Front Suspension:

Jack up the car and put an axle stand under to support, then undo the two 18mm nut and bolts holding the bottom of the suspension strut to the hub carrier.

using a deep drop neck ring spanner and alan key/grips/spanner (im lowered already but std suspension is different) loosen the top mount nut ONLY HALF A TURN!!! so its easier to take off later.

Now undo the two 13mm bolts holdin the top of the strut to the car, hold the strut from below or it will drop.

Voila un Mcpherson strut

Next you need to compress the spring, make sure its well supported either side, use 3 if you can.

once you can rotate the spring in the shock it is compressed enough. now use the same technique as earlier and undo the top mount nut completely

Take off the top mount and your left with the spring seat take that off too, remember what order everything comes off.

my car was sittting on the spax bumpstops cos of the weight of the XE so i fitted shorter ones (Cut down STD ones) for now till i get shorted dampers.

right put your new lower spring in the damper or change the damper completely for your newer one if your getting a complete kit. Make sure the spring is seated properly with the end of it butting up to the raised bit on thhe damper seen here:

put any bump stops dust guards back on the piston rod, and put the top seat back on and make sure its seated like this :

you may need to compress the new spring so ou can get everything back on and get the top nut back on, just use the same technnique as earlier.

fitting is reverse of removal

if you aint sure see my sig and i may be able to sort something

Good luck, have fun

Hope this quick guide helps.

[Edited on 24-03-2005 by M15T XE]

[Edited on 26-03-2005 by Ian]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Tutorials & FAQ » Suspension, Handling & Braking » Lowering Guide for Corsa B 24 database queries in 0.0091519 seconds