corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Where is my OIL

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where is my OIL
V-Man

User status: Offline
12th Feb 05 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a small problem for a while, my car drinks oil like kids think J2O is alcohol. A while ago i realised i was loosin lot of oil, my engine was well dirty and oily so cleaned it to check if i could see where the oil is comin out, cant see anywhere. Theres no oil patches on my drive, had people follow me to see if im burnin it, im not, and cant smell any oil burnin while drivin. someone said check the spark plug and see if they are oily, they were fine! i threw some cleaner in and changed the oil, then forced some stop leak down is throat but Its used from the middle of the min and max to below min and 6 days!!!!!!
Can anyone give suggestions of where to check to see for leaks, what to do, or why it loves the oil!?
thanks.
Adam-D

12th Feb 05 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it either gotta be leaking t or burining it

check you coolent for oil?
pavorotti

12th Feb 05 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got the same prob m8 had compression test and that was fine beats me? might be worn pistons or valve seals? all i know is that if i put full syn in there it lasts ages and shifts faster! and if the rocker cover is broke oil dont go any where just by the sparks it doesnt leak or burn u would lose about half a litre of oil through the rocker cover and oil would stop in by sparks so fuk knows? gonna buy some piston repair stuff thats wat i think it is on mine! how many miles mines done 83k! i bet urs is close to that 2 init cuz some wid 50K miles dont av this problem its worn pistons!
V-Man

12th Feb 05 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea 84k mines done! might be that then, cos i cant figure the fookin thing out. ill look into this piston wear then. cheers mate
IlfordCorsa16V

12th Feb 05 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same thing happens with mine. when the oil goes low, everytime i start my car, the car keeps ticking for a while then goes away.
but when i fill up my oil the noise goes away.
pavorotti

13th Feb 05 at 02:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine wear
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Feb 05 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my C16Xe "L reg" has now done 90k and in last 1-2 years its been drinking and leaking laods of oil, it consumes about a litre per month, on average of doing 600 town to town miles per month!

i have visable signs... oil on drive and puffs of white/grey smoke when i give it full throttel!! however it never used to give the smoke at first but it was deffintaly burning it as you can smell it!

the ticking noise- i used to have it bad on start up when i used GTX magnatec! so i changed to VAUXHALLS own 10/40 semi and its gone!!! maybe ticks a little when the oil is new but other than that is silent!

ticking noise from engine while its at operating temp is a last indication that u need to top up the damn oil!!! if you dont soon u will get very bad engine wear!!

anyway, for over a year i never really gave it a proper full oil and filter change coz i was topping it up every month
but few weeks back i did full oil change, vauxhalls 10/40 semi and new filter, and fook me the car pulled much harder around 5k revs!!

ive had my rocker cover gasket done a year ago yet still i found oil leaked into the spark plug holes!!

i think my car needs the full works! a full rebuild top to bottom

[Edited on 13-02-2005 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
pavorotti

13th Feb 05 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much 4 full rebuild? im, having same problem but i av no signs of leaks nor no smell of oil but it does white smoke wen car is cold! i think its piston chamber were the piston goes up and down i think theres cracks by there forgot the name of it! this is wat i wanna say!

Every vehicle's engine wears out as a result of friction during normal operation. This friction causes wear of the cylinder walls which leads to compression loss. Lost compression results in your engine having less power --- it runs poorly and has sluggish acceleration. It also can cause increased oil burning, exhaust smoking, and poor fuel economy

Poot

13th Feb 05 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pavorotti
i think its piston chamber were the piston goes up and down i think theres cracks by there forgot the name of it! this is wat i wanna say!

Cracked piston liner?
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Feb 05 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a full rebuild from top to bottom, including uprating of parts for a 1.6 16v is around £1000 from a decent garage!

the oil can only be burnt or leaking, in which case you should be able to smell it or see it leaking from somewere!!

get another compression test done somewere else!
if it still turns out ok then your pistons/rings and the cylinders should be fine, and could just be your valve stem seals or the oil leaking into coolant somewere or spark plug holes!

what engien isit? how much oil does it consume per month? and how many miles do you do per month?
pavorotti

13th Feb 05 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

takes about 3 litres a month off about 2k miles but if i put fully in it lasts 2 months!
compression tes checks valve seals init?
i took it vauxhal and they sais yea leave it here and we will do some checks on it so
i said wat checks and the women secetary said oh they do various checks?
then i asked how much 60 bar an hour yea right leave the car there from 9am till 5 at night! she thought i come off the last boat from ireland!
pavorotti

13th Feb 05 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in th vauxhall hand book it says u will use
1.1 litres of oil every 1000 miles and thats if u drive normal, and it also says that u can use synthetic oil not only semi! 15-40 is fully yea?
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Feb 05 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vauxhall is the last place you want to take it man!!!
they dont know anything, from my experience!

a comppresion test should tell you a lot about how the engine is??
check ur plugs, tells a lot about engine condition? are they in good condition on the tips?? mine get black within a month!

fully synthetic oil tends to be around 5-40, and is only really recommended for newer engines
pavorotti

13th Feb 05 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be ok to use though yea i av used it befor and i dont top up the oil very often with that and it shifts faster semi its sluggish! iv got them spark plugs wid the 4 things on for a garunteed star supposedly dont know the condition there in now there 6 months old! well
im gonna put millers oil in wid pipercross oilfilter iv used fully and semi and fully seems better for me! wat u think? synthetic oil is 15-40 yea?

[Edited on 13-02-2005 by pavorotti]
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Feb 05 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what engine have you got???
e.g. 10W40 = the first number represents how viscosity(thick) the oil is when engine is cold... the second number is how thick it is when engine is hot.. so basically a higher number is thinner/thin and a lower number is thicker/thick

but it should say exactly what oil to use in handbook, but in general old engines 10+ years take just normal oil mainly 15W40, then cars under 10 years semi-synthetic mainly 10W40 and newer engines are better with fully synthetic mainly 5W35!!

reason you should not use fully synthetic on a older engine is because it is twice as thin when cold, so it will easily leak through gaskets that are worn on any older engine, and also causes the engine to be very tappy/noisy on start up!

"champion" are brilliant spark plugs and not stupidly over priced!
all that 4 spark, superior spark stuff is bullshitte mate!

please dont tell me you have Bosch super4 plugs!!!!
they are shitte, trust me ive tried them and a mate of mine tried in his gsi aswell!!!

a oil filter is a oil filter, they all do exactly same thing!!! no need to buy branded oil filters they make sooo little difference if any!! again, champion do oil filters, and at £3 each from halfords u cant go wrong!
pavorotti

13th Feb 05 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep iv got the bosche ones and i av 1,6 sport xe! the hand book says i can use synthetic and semi synthetic!
which inlet manifold should i buy?
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Feb 05 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woah, slow down man! you need a good condition engine before doing any power mods!! or it will just get worse!

thats reason i have not uprated mine yet

mantzel was considered the best by many people on here compared to others such as velos and dbilas... however it is apparently out of business due to lack of demand!!

their was news on here few months back about somone making mass production of his own inlet manifolds.... but havnt heard since!
pavorotti

13th Feb 05 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

slow down well i dont know wat to say now i dont think there anything wrong wid my engine now possibly a bit of wear which i hope wen i buy some stuff off ebay will be sorted engine restore,
the manual says it would lose 1,1 litres of oil every 1000 miles and thats about right
wen i drive normal
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Feb 05 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its very common for these engines when around 70/80k+ miles to have oil problems, so i guess one last full check up wont hurt, and be on safe side and if its ok go ahead

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Where is my OIL 24 database queries in 0.0137360 seconds