corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.4 Vs 1.6 16v

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.4 Vs 1.6 16v
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
17th Jan 05 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On my engine i think i WASTED (lol) over £4000
Andy

17th Jan 05 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Filby1
what is the actual difference in weight with the 1600 and the 2ltr engines with the gear box? on there own

Around 50kgs
Andy

17th Jan 05 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
not that much i'd imagine - to be honest I think it's just an excuse people with 1.6 corsa's use to justify wasting their money.

Pro-Tec run 2 competition rally corsas, both 1.6s. They tried numerous suspension mods on a 2L version but gave up because whatever they did the handling was always much worse than a 1.6
Andy

17th Jan 05 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
a corsa 2.0 with the basic mods (exhaust & filter) will do 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds. an astra gsi will do it in about 7.4 in standard form.

Bollox - Take a look at the Datron timed 0-60 runs at Brunters. Only 2L to get under 7 seconds was Steve Barleys at 6.58secs, but that was running full throttle bodies. Even that was beaten by Lee Renton's 1.6 runing Mantzel, cams, headwork and Unichip - 6.39 seconds.

Steve
Premium Member

17th Jan 05 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yesh andy noone understands i believe them to be of CHAV

hence why my GTI beat them up the strip

[Edited on 17-01-2005 by Steve]
Andy

17th Jan 05 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul_J

17th Jan 05 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Andy for clearing up some stuff here

must remember this post next time someone says a 2.0 16v handles just as good as a 1.6

and that chav quoting 6.5 secs to 60 with just exhaust + filter must of had neon washer jets adding 50 bhp
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jan 05 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought i cleared it up earlier noone wanted to take heed to my facts though
James R

17th Jan 05 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
not that much i'd imagine - to be honest I think it's just an excuse people with 1.6 corsa's use to justify wasting their money.

quote:
must remember this post next time someone says a 2.0 16v handles just as good as a 1.6

Now you know
AK

17th Jan 05 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes..... i am a chav
James R

17th Jan 05 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Kindness
yes..... i am a chav

corsa120

17th Jan 05 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steve have u considered the fact that the person driving 2.0 corsa up strip was he a good driver or was he a chav u just cant say ur quicker m8

and ur talking about a 150 bhp 106 gti here not a standard trim 115bhp/120bhp gti are u

the xe has 100cc more per cylinder that is what will see it whip the gti's arse, correct me if im wrong but did'nt some1 HAVE A 166BHP CORSA AND STILL COULD NOT BEAT THE 2.0 16V CORSA BUT WAS CLOSE???????

JUST GOES TO SHOW U NEED MORE POWER WITH SMALLER ENGINE TO BEAT BIGGER ENGINE WITH LESS POWER
Fad

17th Jan 05 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

and that chav quoting 6.5 secs to 60 with just exhaust + filter must of had neon washer jets adding 50 bhp

i sugest unless you've driven one or been out in one you have no right to comment mong

Mine has been driven by many people off the board and they will tell you it handles fine...bad handling valvers are a myth. Yes front heavy but unless you cant drive then it aint an issue is it? Mine and JR have the same exact suspension set up and they handle virtually the same...ask him he drives my car a hell of a lot

as for 0-60 in 6.5 seconds i reckon its possible if you have a diff...also the health of the engine plays a vital part as well as the quality of tyres, weather conditions etc. Every driver is different and lauching a valver takes a bit of practice. GTi's get off the line quicker due to less wheel spin.

Gti's handle fair enough but in my book they are jst torqueless buzz boxes you have to keep on heat to keep them going

now who rules at writting essays
essexracer

17th Jan 05 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u r fad lol.

lol at this thread gettin out of hand...

everyone go to pod and argu up the stip

james
Paul_J

17th Jan 05 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:

i sugest unless you've driven one or been out in one you have no right to comment mong

Mine has been driven by many people off the board and they will tell you it handles fine...bad handling valvers are a myth. Yes front heavy but unless you cant drive then it aint an issue is it? Mine and JR have the same exact suspension set up and they handle virtually the same...ask him he drives my car a hell of a lot

as for 0-60 in 6.5 seconds i reckon its possible if you have a diff...also the health of the engine plays a vital part as well as the quality of tyres, weather conditions etc. Every driver is different and lauching a valver takes a bit of practice. GTi's get off the line quicker due to less wheel spin.

Gti's handle fair enough but in my book they are jst torqueless buzz boxes you have to keep on heat to keep them going

now who rules at writting essays

Don't really see why this is aimed at me?

Andy was the one who said they didn't handle - after I said that I thought it was probably just something people with 1.6's said to justify getting a 1.6 instead of a 2.0. I was supporting the 2.0, till andy said otherwise - so I said 'fair enough' ... If you read what I said 'when someone says 2.0 handles just as good as a 1.6' - I'm not saying a 2.0 16v can't handle good.

The point in question is it doesn't handle 'as well' as a 1.6, but obvious weight reasons.

As for the 0-60 in 6.5 secs, with just exhaust + filter... Where does that include a LSD?

Finally I'm not trying to say a gti is better than anything as I've not even driven mine yet (I have a broken foot), and was only a passenger in it. I will openly admit that a 2.0 16v will beat a standard 106 gti.

So really the point is, perhaps you should read what people have written before writing essays? mongo.

Paul J
AK

17th Jan 05 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that too ...
Cybermonkey

18th Jan 05 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To put is simply, all 3 engines are pretty good lumps when tuned up, more so the 1.6 and 2.0 over the 1.4. 1.4 just doesnt have the capacity, obviously. However, Throttle Bodies transform these engines far beyond what Vauxhall intended for them.

Remember that the 1.6 was actually creating 150bhp+ when it was first being designed by Vauxhall and tested. This was reduced all the way down to 109bhp to stop it stealing the 20XE limelight in the Cav GSi's, Astra GTE's/GSi's, Cally 16v etc.
The fact that both the 20XE and 16XE are used regularly in motorsport is testement to their greatness, never forget that, sod the pissy 106's
Cybermonkey

18th Jan 05 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And yes, the 1.6 is a fair bit quicker than the 1.4 once over 45-50mph. My 1.6 used to just peel away from them, just like VTR's lol
Corsa E-Tec

18th Jan 05 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.4 16V vs 1.6 16V

not much difference except for after 50 odd MPH but the 1.6 is so much more tunable, but then again look at JR's 1.4 .

my 1.4 was pretty nippy, quicker than the 1.6 punto sportings and a few other 1.6's.
good thing about these angines is that there quite strong .
Paul_J

18th Jan 05 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was?

Why 'was' your car nippy? what happened to it?
Cybermonkey

18th Jan 05 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i guess he sold it paul
Paul_J

18th Jan 05 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh don't remember seeing it for sale.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.4 Vs 1.6 16v 23 database queries in 0.0277381 seconds