corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » toyota mr2

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author toyota mr2
mk4_astra

User status: Offline
16th Jan 05 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kolin straight line performance what was the bmw like,what wud it keep up with etc.. ive had my heart set on 1 for a while but ive heard a few people say there 328(e36) was slower than expected and im sure there equal perfermance wise to the e30 325 is, cheers
MarkM

16th Jan 05 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kolin
If you can put up with the 2 seats id get the MR2

edit to say - however id try for a Rev3 coupe(Lreg on) - 240bhp

[Edited on 16-01-2005 by Kolin]

Yeah try and get an M reg onwards as thats when the rev3 change comes in...they have better looking rear lights...few more nice touches like bodycoloured everything...

You can pick a minter rev3 for under 5k these days...

Colin

16th Jan 05 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_astra
kolin straight line performance what was the bmw like,what wud it keep up with etc.. ive had my heart set on 1 for a while but ive heard a few people say there 328(e36) was slower than expected and im sure there equal perfermance wise to the e30 325 is, cheers

It was pretty damn fast in a straight line, I didnt keep mine long as it was just a run around until I found a scooby. I showed up a couple cars tho including a 206GTi 180 and kept up with a Leon Cupra on motorway

Ive drove a 328iS and the old 325 probably felt like it was going faster anyway 328's more refined.

I know where theres a minted 325iS for sale in Black its in Edinburgh tho
S1MON

16th Jan 05 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer japs are the only turbo, have a look for rev 3 and older, anything but red as they dont sell and makesure its a tbar too.

Look on the mr2 owners club as there is loads of info about them on there.

Rev 1 and 2 are prone to snapping back if you happen to get it slightly side ways. Rev 3 and upwards have uprated suspension to stop this.

[Edited on 16-01-2005 by S1MON]
Colin

16th Jan 05 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by S1MON
makesure its a tbar too.

I would advise against the Tbar, not worth the hassle for the few times I had mine off and in winter it lets you know your driving around in a green house......seals can be a pain in the tits although mine were ok but the condensation Also freezes on the inside then thaws and drips on your head......if you open the window to try to circulate the air the water from outside runs along the seam of the glass panel and down dripping on your groin area making it look like you've pissed yourself

MarkM

16th Jan 05 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
makesure its a tbar too.

I would advise against the Tbar, not worth the hassle for the few times I had mine off and in winter it lets you know your driving around in a green house......seals can be a pain in the tits although mine were ok but the condensation Also freezes on the inside then thaws and drips on your head......if you open the window to try to circulate the air the water from outside runs along the seam of the glass panel and down dripping on your groin area making it look like you've pissed yourself

Hhahaa yes I can vouch for the dripping with the window open slightly...its a pain in the arse...design fault I reckon...

T-Bars are nice...but I have heard the tin tops feel more rigid when cornering etc...
Colin

16th Jan 05 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sport16v
quote:
quote:
makesure its a tbar too.

Hhahaa yes I can vouch for the dripping with the window open slightly...its a pain in the arse...design fault I reckon...

T-Bars are nice...but I have heard the tin tops feel more rigid when cornering etc...

If I was to have another one it would deffo be a coupe!!
MarkM

16th Jan 05 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep...me too...
Colin

16th Jan 05 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbar looks great on paper but a pain in the ass to own in everyday life.....from an ex owners point of view get the coupe
S1MON

16th Jan 05 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well mine was a t-bar, just did the seals once a week with autoglym rubber care and they were fine........ suppose get them of ond on was a pain in the arse sometimes but i think there worth it.
Colin

16th Jan 05 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought it looked good but to be honest only had them off about 10 times in 2years - we only get about 2 weeks decent weather in Scotland rest of the time its pissing down

The window dripping thing really pissed me off tho
S1MON

16th Jan 05 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your in scotland then completely pointless, but was nice in the sunshine.

Mate had the dripping problem in his and apart from changing the seals nothing sorted it
Colin

16th Jan 05 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah I was only kidding there was plenty times I could have had it off but didnt bother.....I also didnt like leaving it with no roof on!
Adam-D

16th Jan 05 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so, if i get a rev 3 "what year did these come in?

and they can drift ?
"ill be doing it in big empty open spaces"

MarkM

16th Jan 05 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MY T Bar doesnt leak were talking about when for example you have just washed the car and are get in it to drive...if you have your window open the wind blows the water onto your lap for some reason...must be the angle of the window etc...

Oh and Rev 3 go from 1994 onwards...to 1996 or 1997 I think...

MarkM

16th Jan 05 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rev 3's come with LSD im sure...

Adam_B

16th Jan 05 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes some do.-

MR2 Owners Club Knowledge Base -> MK2 -> Chassis

Question

How do I tell if I have a LSD fitted?

Answer

A simple test to establish is you have a Limited Slip Differential, is to Jack car up the rear of you car using a trolley jack carefully positioned under the rear subframe. Ensure you place a chock under a front wheel and release the handbrake.

Now turn one of the rear wheels. If the other wheel rotates in the same way, you do have a LSD fitted. If the other wheel rotates the other way, you don't.

Another test is to choose a safe and quiet place with plenty of space. Put full steering lock on and hold the revs at around 4000 rpm. Drop the clutch. If you are immediately pointing in the direction from whence you came you have an LSD!

[Edited on 16-01-2005 by Adam_B]
Adam-D

16th Jan 05 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so i want a 1994 one?
they gonna cost a bit i fear

hm
would it be possible to get a lsd from a rev 3 and fit it to a non lsd? would it go straight in
BabyBlade

16th Jan 05 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
and they can drift ?
"ill be doing it in big empty open spaces"

You'd be doing donuts for a very long time

It isnt as simple as getting a rear wheel drive turbo'd car and booting it around a corner, check out the banzai magasines as they always have drifting articles in there..
Adam-D

17th Jan 05 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know how to drift. but i need a car with a lsd hence why i asked can you take a lsd from a rev 3 mr2 and stick it straight into a non lsd one.
S1MON

17th Jan 05 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its worth paying the extra and getting the rev 3 mate, you get the extras, the lsd, extra brake, doesnt have an air flow meter, suspension is a better set up and the extra trim is colour coded rther than that horrible grey. Oh the fog lights are white not yellow too....
S1MON

17th Jan 05 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Revision 1 (12/1989 to 11/1991)

The original MK2. Loved by those who demanded a challenging, yet rewarding ride at the edge. The handling was developed with support from an ex Formula 1 racing driver. Earned a reputation as 'dangerous' in the motoring press because of it's ability to bite hard those who lack experience in mid engined handling characteristics. Most noticeable if it still has its original 14" alloy wheels. Chassis numbers 0000001-0059265

Follow this link for more info on revision 1.

Revision 2 (12/1991 to 11/1993)

Revision 2 saw a large number of changes. To make the handling more manageable, the suspension was heavily revised. Different geometry tamed the handling as well as thicker anti-roll bars and trailing arms. Tyre size was increased in width (195 front / 225 rear) and the wheel diameter increased to 15" to accommodate the larger front and rear brake discs, to reduce brake fade under heavy usage. A deeper front skirt was fitted to the nose cone and the gear change lever was shortened in length and throw. Chassis numbers 0059266-0087385

Revision 3 (11/1993 to 06/1996)

Revision 3 saw many cosmetic changes. Although additional braces were placed on the rear suspension towers to reduce the risk of stress induced damage, the most notable mechanical changes were a range of updated engines with higher power outputs, that are also better suited to tuning. The revision 3 gained a substantial change on the outside. New rounded style rear lamps, with relocated reverse lamps and the departure of the 'honeycombe' rear panel. The rear spoiler changed to a 1 piece design that stands higher on the bootlid and the front skirt, side sills and rear bumper extensions all became colour coded. Chassis numbers 0087386-0106662

Nov 1993 -> Dec 1993 - '93 L reg
Dec 1993 -> Aug 1994 - '94 L reg
Aug 1994 -> Jul 1995 - '94 M reg
Jul 1995 -> Aug 1995 - '95 M reg
Aug 1995 -> Oct 1995 - '95 N reg

[Edited on 17-01-2005 by S1MON]
Tom

17th Jan 05 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still fancy an e30 325 sport they still go for loads of money.
MarkM

17th Jan 05 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
i know how to drift. but i need a car with a lsd hence why i asked can you take a lsd from a rev 3 mr2 and stick it straight into a non lsd one.

To be honest mate the money you would have to spend buying an LSD then having it fitted to a rev2 will probably outweigh the cost of paying a little extra and getting a Rev3...

plus as simon says you get more bhp in the rev3's also they look a lot more updated...

Rev3 all the way...
Paul_J

17th Jan 05 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam knowing your luck the car will blow up in a week

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » toyota mr2 23 database queries in 0.0133059 seconds