corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » The drilled airbox question again,i know but really need your insight

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The drilled airbox question again,i know but really need your insight
Lazarus1

User status: Offline
27th Dec 04 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok,before you start saying that i'm a lazy git,i've searched about 20-30 posts and tutorials on this matter but think that my question is slightly different.
1.Engine:1.4 16v
2.Standard airbox(smashed at the bottom at the LH side with a 1.5x1.5 inch hole)+K&N replacement panel filter.
3.Standard air feed
Yesterday after cleaning the air box,i decided to patch that hole with several layers of duck tape.So basicly the airbox is now back to standard(it's sealed)Result:
Before:The car was a little sluggish at low revs but very responsive after 3k.Up to 6K i was very pleased with it.
After patching the hole:The throttle is very responsive at low revs but after 4.5k the car strugles a bit(very slighty)to reach 6k.(Maybe the airbox is too restrictive now?)
So my question is....what's the perfect combo for the K&N panel?Drilled air box?Don't want to drill the thing for sound,but for the things i stated before.Cold air feed?Can the standard air feed be modifiend to let more air in?Cause the piece where it bolts onto the chassie is very flat say 1cm by 5 cm.How does letting more air in effect fuel consombsion?Can you post me some pics of a drilled air box?i couldn't find anywhere on the forum.
Please help,can't decide what to do.Thanks.
Joff

27th Dec 04 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't drill, but widen the air intake into the box.

Try padding out the corners of the airbox so the internal shape is better for airflow.
Lazarus1

27th Dec 04 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By widening the air intake do you mean the standard intake?Should i cut out the lower section of the piece that bolts onto the chassie?Also i don't understand the word "padding"sorry...I know that inside the box there is a grill that divides the box into a larger and smaler section and a curved pipe for the intake,and also a smaler sthraight pipe above the filter?Take those 3 things out?
Gavin
Premium Member

27th Dec 04 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

defo agree with joff.....

pew pew pew pewwwww
Lazarus1

27th Dec 04 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by B19 GAV
defo agree with joff.....

Could you explain to me what he said?I understood but partly.
Joff

28th Dec 04 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get more air into the airbox.

When the air is in there, you want it to have a nice easy route into the inlet manifold, so try and remove all the straight edges inside by padding it out.

New Poll