corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What gear box is this? 2.0L 16v - 133 Flat out?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What gear box is this? 2.0L 16v - 133 Flat out?
TOMAS

User status: Offline
10th Dec 04 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 20XE hits 132mph (electric clocks) at 6.5K, thats the most ive had it upto...

On the F20's... How do you tell if its C/R W/R - where's the stamp etc?
bradfincham

10th Dec 04 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think ou will find there all the same mate, just people chnage the ratios!

people dont understand how important a gearbox is, most cars have a 20-30% transmission loss, if you can get that down to 10% most xes will gain 15 odd bhp
broster
Premium Member

10th Dec 04 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham

people dont understand how important a gearbox is, most cars have a 20-30% transmission loss, if you can get that down to 10% most xes will gain 15 odd bhp

incorrectly worded there brad, they wont GAIN anypower, but the loss will be reduced, same as lightened flywheel crank etc! reduces losses dosent gain power!
James R

10th Dec 04 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham

incorrectly worded there brad, they wont GAIN anypower, but the loss will be reduced, same as lightened flywheel crank etc! reduces losses dosent gain power!

Incorrectlty worded too mark. Lightening (ie crank, flyuwheel) reduces engin einteria. The gearbox is a torque multipiler to altering the ratios effectly changes the power put out at the wheels, reducing the associated losses of a gearbox will give more power at the wheels, and has nothing to do with interia (unless you are making the cogs shafts etc.. lighter but is different.)

I can think of cheaper ways to gain 10-15BHP on an XE without putting a straight cut box on it though (esp not £2000 worth of it)
broster
Premium Member

10th Dec 04 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt read the post i assumed he ment by reducing transmission loss he ment that he was altering the actual box cogs etc......... never assume it makes an ASS out of U and ME lesson lernt lol
James R

10th Dec 04 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would be changing the actual cogs, fore straight cut ones, but they aren't lighter.
Plus if they were they have such a small diameter that interia would be as affected as taking loads off a flywheel.

Can you make me a gauge pod at work if you get bored??
broster
Premium Member

10th Dec 04 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha ill ask my mate.

going back to my point he was goin on about transmission losses gaining power etc......engine wil lstil lproduce the smae power but more power will be usable thats my point! they way he wrote it it sounded liek he ment that if you reduce losses you gain power, in theory you dont as the engine will stil produce the same 156 or whatever bhp......... get me?
bradfincham

10th Dec 04 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

come off it chaps, i meant that if you reduce losses you have more power at the wheels, how the hell could the power go up LOL sorry my bad writing!
Eliminating losses is the way forward!
broster
Premium Member

10th Dec 04 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha sorry brad im in a picky mood bit bored at work! i agree tho
timrud_

10th Dec 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We know the F15 won't last much longer than the F13, its just what was lying around!

The way it ripped through the gears was so funny!
James R

10th Dec 04 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
haha ill ask my mate.

going back to my point he was goin on about transmission losses gaining power etc......engine wil lstil lproduce the smae power but more power will be usable thats my point! they way he wrote it it sounded liek he ment that if you reduce losses you gain power, in theory you dont as the engine will stil produce the same 156 or whatever bhp......... get me?

Yeah, though the gearbox. but if you blue print the block and components and get the ring gaps right, ceramic coat the chambers and pisotns then the engine will make more than the std 156 I bet money on it. so you can.

I'm hungover and argumentative today
Jason

10th Dec 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adam if u didnt bounce the car off the limiter so much i think u'd do better at 1/4 miles
AK

10th Dec 04 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok jason
broster
Premium Member

10th Dec 04 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
quote:
haha ill ask my mate.

Yeah, though the gearbox. but if you blue print the block and components and get the ring gaps right, ceramic coat the chambers and pisotns then the engine will make more than the std 156 I bet money on it. so you can.

I'm hungover and argumentative today

your changing the point here! now your on about blue printing etc!
James R

10th Dec 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still removing paracitic losses though
J100RSA

10th Dec 04 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got f16 wr in mine and dose a genuine 145in 4th and will pull to 155 in 5th @7250rpm got a gps speedo to prove had a f16cr in befor from mk1 astra gte and that did 144in 5th @7250 rpm

[Edited on 10-12-2004 by J100RSA]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What gear box is this? 2.0L 16v - 133 Flat out? 23 database queries in 0.0096481 seconds