corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » In dash screen as well as head unit help.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author In dash screen as well as head unit help.
westsidecorsa

User status: Offline
18th Nov 04 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok basically i want i flip out screen but cant afford to get an all in one. So i have decided to go for something a bit different, I intend to buy a screen like this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32826&item=5732661078&rd=1

and where the ashtray currently is, build a DIN sized slot to house it. This way i keep my head unit and have the screen.

What i would like to know is, can u see any problems with doing this. Looking at the pics on ebay wiring the screen shuould be simple as its just power and the input for the screen.

Have i over looked any problems and does this sound like a good idea.??

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks
Dom

18th Nov 04 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh mate, i would think about either modding your heater vents and turning that into a DIN slot - which a few people off here have done. Or doing some like Claire Richardson (look in her garage) has done and taken the MDF out and built a DIN slot housing to replace it - it looks bloody neat.
Eitherway, the reason why i suggest the above is because the screen will be at eye height then and will easier to see if using on a PS2 etc etc

However, if you really want it where the ashtray is, then your gonna have to create a frame structure and fibreglass it etc etc If you doing this, i would suggest that you put the screen in the current din slot and your Headunit in your made up one - just for ease of use.
But like you say the screen only needs power, ground and input (+ brake sensor cable, but you can ground this). Just make sure that you dont connect to your existing radio loom - go get some 8/10gauge and wire up another loom for either the screen or both the radio and screen (might improve sound on your headunit).
Also remember to make sure your Headunit has a aux in for the audio from your source.
westsidecorsa

18th Nov 04 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i thought about swapping the head unit around. But where the ashtray is is sort of facing upwards if u get me, so the screen wouldnt be at eye level, but would be facing upwards so still easy to see?

Im dont want to tamper with the heater vents as im not skilled enough to do stuff like that myself tbh, just seems the easiest way having the screen at the bottom in terms of hiding the wires etc.

Just wanted to see if id missed anything, thanks for the reply it was really helpful.
Anybody else?
Dom

18th Nov 04 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by westsidecorsa
yes i thought about swapping the head unit around. But where the ashtray is is sort of facing upwards if u get me, so the screen wouldnt be at eye level, but would be facing upwards so still easy to see?

Im dont want to tamper with the heater vents as im not skilled enough to do stuff like that myself tbh, just seems the easiest way having the screen at the bottom in terms of hiding the wires etc.

Just wanted to see if id missed anything, thanks for the reply it was really helpful.
Anybody else?

aye, go for it mate Keep a list of measurements and moulds (and create a tutorial if you want ) etc as im sure a few people would be interested in something like this - as long as it blends in alright etc
Also search for a post in General section, as someone is designing consoles to house screens and i believe they were designing an ashtray din slot holder
Tom N

18th Nov 04 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get one of those pre made centre consoles with the gap for a screen in it
westsidecorsa

19th Nov 04 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, thought of something else, i have an in car dvd player which plays mp3 dvd vcd etc, i will be connecting this up to the screen, if i connected the phono cables to my amps, the sound would come thru the speakers, so i could play my cds throught the seperate dvd player and eliminate my head unit all together. But how would i change the volume? As the dvd player itself wont control the volume? Is this right?

Meaning it will always be at the same volume, so i will need my head unit?

cheers
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by westsidecorsa
Ok, thought of something else, i have an in car dvd player which plays mp3 dvd vcd etc, i will be connecting this up to the screen, if i connected the phono cables to my amps, the sound would come thru the speakers, so i could play my cds throught the seperate dvd player and eliminate my head unit all together. But how would i change the volume? As the dvd player itself wont control the volume? Is this right?

Meaning it will always be at the same volume, so i will need my head unit?

cheers

Only way around this is to buy a DVD reciever head unit Pioneer do a few models, that basically look like their middle of the range single DIN slot HU, except they have a video output and play DVDs However, your looking at about 500+ for one of those

You could also think about getting a DVD changer and controlling it from your current HU - IE: if you have a pioneer/alpine then they do units that connect to the "Bus" ports on the HU and it acts like one unit Would be alittle cheaper if you already have a HU that supports something like this. Otherwise its going to be pricey what ever you do mate

New Poll