corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Front Foggies

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Front Foggies
Lynxboy 252

User status: Offline
   12th Nov 04 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

Ive just joined this site and must say im impressed with peoples knowledge of the Corsa. Ive been reading past posts and a lot of the stuff has gone way over my head!

Anyhoo,

My 04 reg Corsa 'C' Energy hasn't any fog lights at the front - im hoping to change this!

Ive obtained some foglamps and the control box/switches and all i need now is the relevant fuse/relay (15A). Apparently, the wiring is already done and there should be a cable loom tucked away in the front bumper somewhere like on some Vectra's and Astra's. (Is this true?)

I phoned up my local Vauxhall dealer and discussed this. With the umm'in and ahh'in over, he priced up 9 items which he said were necessary and totalled around £150! This excluded labour costs (of course) and that it may be necessary to fit a new bumper and harness!!! He said it wasn't as easy as just fitting the stuff!

Going to have it checked out by a family friend who's a mechanic and see what he says. Wasn't exactly confident by what the guy at Vauxhall said. I had some front mudflaps fitted a while ago and that took some sorting out! So i was reluctant to fully believe what Mr Parts Department person said.

I'd just like to know what people think about this and if they've any info or advice they can give me. And if it is actually as easy as fitting them??

Thanks in advance,

Lynxboy 252
ed

12th Nov 04 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wiring might be there already, if it is then i'm pretty sure that they will be plug and play, once you have fitted the relay into it's relevent position in the fuse box, that is normally missing - but easy to check for as you just have to look to see if it is there by cross checking the fuse box diagram on the back of the cover. To check for the wiring just look for the wires in the front bumper.

If they are not there then they are easy enough to fit. I'm sure that there is a diagram on here somehwere. As for £150 worth of parts, try £30 at the most. £2 for an automotive relay, £5 for wiring, £5 at the most for the switch and however much the foggies cost.
ed

12th Nov 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John

12th Nov 04 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

afaik everythin has to be enabled om tech 2 on the c even if the wirings there.
Lynxboy 252

12th Nov 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And whats this tech 2?

quote:
Originally posted by x8john
afaik everythin has to be enabled om tech 2 on the c even if the wirings there.
Lynxboy 252

12th Nov 04 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxhall trying to charge large ammounts! Would hate to see what they would've charged for labour!

I emailed them also and asked how much for each individual fog lamp, depending on chassis number, its either £32 or £35. Got mine for £20.

Will have to look under the bumper, not much clearance at the mo.

Thanks for the diagram, dont think im confident enough to mess with the electrics! Last time i messed with electrics, it was on a bus and that went a bit, sparky!

Thanks for your help, if theres any thing else i need to know could you let me know. Cheers!!

LX252

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed
The wiring might be there already, if it is then i'm pretty sure that they will be plug and play, once you have fitted the relay into it's relevent position in the fuse box, that is normally missing - but easy to check for as you just have to look to see if it is there by cross checking the fuse box diagram on the back of the cover. To check for the wiring just look for the wires in the front bumper.

If they are not there then they are easy enough to fit. I'm sure that there is a diagram on here somehwere. As for £150 worth of parts, try £30 at the most. £2 for an automotive relay, £5 for wiring, £5 at the most for the switch and however much the foggies cost.
ed

12th Nov 04 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the Vauxhall diagnostic system. The mechanic uses it to see why your car doesn't work, adjust things like your electric sunroof if it automatically closes at a certain speed e.t.c... In this case they use it to tell your car that it has fog lights fitted. Didn't realise you needed to do that though...
Mattb

12th Nov 04 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's the Vauxhall diagnostic system. The mechanic uses it to see why your car doesn't work, adjust things like your electric sunroof if it automatically closes at a certain speed e.t.c... In this case they use it to tell your car that it has fog lights fitted. Didn't realise you needed to do that though...

i cant see it being needed, its only on real high end cars that have that kind of diagnostic system. we dont have it on many VW's exept the touareg and phaeton, so i dont see it being on a corsa tbh
ed

12th Nov 04 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it does then just hard wire them using the diagram. Or get somone to do it for you.
Lynxboy 252

12th Nov 04 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could this be available on eBay? Ive seen many Cd's and such things on eBay about diagnostics, never really taken much notice or bothered about spending money on it.

Cheers,

LB252

quote:
Mattb

12th Nov 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally i would fit em, and see what happens,
personally i cannot see the corsa C having a control unit for the lighting, its just not the kind of technology you have on a small car
ed

12th Nov 04 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, if it was then it would cost thousands, it is a complete computer system with quite a few sensors and things...
Red_SXi

12th Nov 04 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't really remember, but i think that the wire for the foggies is part of the wiring loom for the horn, if its not part of the same wire its very close
Lynxboy 252

12th Nov 04 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i should be safe fitting the necessary parts (lamps, relays, fuse and control box)... had a quick look under the bumper earlier and saw a cable loom, whether or not it was for the fog lamps is another matter.

Cheers for your help everyone,

I'll let you know how i get on.

LB 252
Red_SXi

12th Nov 04 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually thinking about it, your car will have a temp sensor, normally there is 1 cable which plugs in near the horn, this cable plugs into both foggies and the temp sensor, so i'd of thought just a new loom for the foggies will do it
Lynxboy 252

12th Nov 04 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is where my complete lack of knowledge comes into play (so i apologise for the ignorance). The horn, located at the same level of the fog lights but more centralised???

I really need to get under the car to get a better look of the wiring near the foglamps.

Ta.

quote:
Originally posted by Red_Sxi
Actually thinking about it, your car will have a temp sensor, normally there is 1 cable which plugs in near the horn, this cable plugs into both foggies and the temp sensor, so i'd of thought just a new loom for the foggies will do it
Red_SXi

12th Nov 04 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the front bumper off, the wire i was talking abuot plugs in almost directly under the horn.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Nov 04 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
its just not the kind of technology you have on a small car
If you mean CAN bus then yeah, standard on all Cs.

Not sure for all functions though. In understood that to be how the electric windows and mirrors were controlled although that's not listed here:

http://www.dobbertin-elektronik.de/navigate/can-bus/can-ausw-engl.htm

[Edited on 13-11-2004 by Ian]
of_corsa_sxi

13th Nov 04 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this site is great but but you should try www.corsa-c.co.uk as this site is more corsa "b" based mate
Lynxboy 252

13th Nov 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, i'll go have a look.

Hopefully, I should have it all sorted now as ive had it looked at today.

LB252

quote:
Originally posted by of_corsa_sxi
this site is great but but you should try www.corsa-c.co.uk as this site is more corsa "b" based mate
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Nov 04 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by of_corsa_sxi
Where you reading that? This site has people with B, C, other Vauxhall, other brands and we don't go to other web sites poaching people!

[Edited on 13-11-2004 by Ian]

New Poll