corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PHat download speeds with a capital PH...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PHat download speeds with a capital PH...
Dom

User status: Offline
1st Nov 04 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa^Dan
indeed! bring back dos!!!! at least it can read it correctly (ish lol)

hahaha
i remember the days of MSDos shite, having to do dir, cd... , cd / , etc etc But old man had a copy of QDos file manager, made it alot easier to find stuff and run stuff

atleast with Dos, there wasnt much to waste computer cycles on, so it was lighting quick when i had it running on a 200MHz system
Cybermonkey

1st Nov 04 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:
hmm bits and bytes!

just 2 outsmart myself.. 1024bits-> 1 byte (if im correct)

or is that only for bytes-> MB ??

1024 bits = 1byte
1024bytes = 1Mb

and internet connections are usually in KiloBits = so 750Killobit connection means that you download at roughly 75Kilobytes.

So cybers connection is 2056MBit, if hes downloading at 256KiloBytes

remember though, windows doesnt take into account the extra 24bits in a Mb, ie: it thinks 1000kb is 1MB, hence why your drives seem to be bigger than it is

i wish haha, my connection is 256kbps and i download at that speed too. fucked up man.
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by x8john
quote:
quote:
hmm bits and bytes!

1024 bits = 1byte
1024bytes = 1Mb

and internet connections are usually in KiloBits = so 750Killobit connection means that you download at roughly 75Kilobytes.

remember though, windows doesnt take into account the extra 24bits in a Mb, ie: it thinks 1000kb is 1MB, hence why your drives seem to be bigger than it is

Programers treat 1Mb as 1024Kb, hardware manufacturers like harddrive ones treat 1Mb as 1000Kb which technically is the correct figure.

arrrr...knew it was something like that, tar
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
quote:
hmm bits and bytes!

1024 bits = 1byte
1024bytes = 1Mb

i wish haha, my connection is 256kbps and i download at that speed too. fucked up man.

so you download at 25k's a sec? or you get 256k's ???? i only get 80 max on my connection at its 3times the speed of that
Corsa^Dan

1st Nov 04 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good thing bout dos is that if u realy hated some u could make a 5 line .bat file and replace it with there autoiexec.bat and format theer HD while windows trys too load MWHAHAA!

oh the days hehe
Tim
Site Administrator

2nd Nov 04 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS: There's 8-bits in a byte... hence 750Kbitsps connection will top out around 93.75kbytesps...

The ntl cable modems are internally limited to whatever service you are on. The actual bandwidth limit is set by your modem, and not the line itself. This is simply done by simple QoS rate-limiting and if you could change your configuration, you could have upto 34Mbit across a current Motorola modem... So downloads starting off at a few mb's a second are mainly down to either bad maths by Internet Explorer at the start of a download, or the fact it's already started the download while you're choosing where to save...
Cybermonkey

2nd Nov 04 at 03:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
quote:
hmm bits and bytes!

1024 bits = 1byte
1024bytes = 1Mb

so you download at 25k's a sec? or you get 256k's ???? i only get 80 max on my connection at its 3times the speed of that

250k a sec.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll