corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » gsi engine queries

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author gsi engine queries
pollocks

User status: Offline
1st Nov 04 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mmmmmm 10k rpm sounds so swet lol bet it screams like a guy with his balls in a vice hahahaha
ianofbhills

1st Nov 04 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bet your misses would put your balls in a vice when she seen how much you had spent to make your engine rev that high safely.

for the price of the steel crank you could buy a mint gsi lol

check out sb developments for throttle body kits

www.sbdev.co.uk

[Edited on 01-11-2004 by ianofbhills]
Garnz

2nd Nov 04 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My friedn has a Corsa Gsi running roughly 230 bhp thats with an 11k rev limit look here if you want to know whats had done. The head had to be machined as the cam he fitted was so big it it the rocker cover.

http://www.streetdragster.com/Cars/Needs%20Pictures%20-%20Kierans%20Corsa%20GSi/Vauxhall_Corsa_GSi_Page_01.htm

Its an old webpage so just ignore the Price

[Edited on 02-11-2004 by Garnz]
Siberia

2nd Nov 04 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
i bet your misses would put your balls in a vice when she seen how much you had spent to make your engine rev that high safely.

for the price of the steel crank you could buy a mint gsi lol

check out sb developments for throttle body kits

www.sbdev.co.uk

[Edited on 01-11-2004 by ianofbhills]

the cost of bits on that site makes me cry
Andy

2nd Nov 04 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right - a bit of feedback needed here

Yes, my engine was an X16XE producing 214bhp (see spec in my garage). But it is no more now - shattered valve spring caused valve to drop into cylinder 4, destroying piston, head and fcuking up bore Fortunately rods and other 3 pistons and cams, valve caps etc are all OK, so I've got myself a donor C16XE engine which will be rebuilt from scratch. I'm going to use the same spec that Swindon Racing engines used when they built the Group A Vaux 1.6 rally engines - they made 205bhp on a single restricted inlet. If I get the head right, hoping for around 215-220bhp at 8500rpm I'm not using the SBD double springs again - SBD told me that they're only good for a couple of thousand miles - wish they'd told me that when I bought them! But I am using some very high quality German single springs that Swindon have lying around. Apparently were used in all the touring cars. Should get 10,000miles at least

Which brings me to my main point. The 1.6 can be tuned like crazy, but expect to pay big money and more maintenance costs as soon as revs climb above 8000rpm. If you simply stick on TBs to standard engine, you'll get a reliable 155-160bhp and wide torque curve. Flow the head, fit a good manifold and put some MILD cams in, and you'll get 180bhp and still have a wide torque curve - all running on standard internals. Above 180bhp, and it starts to get expensive cos you need wilder cams and more revs.

Hope this helps
Ojc

2nd Nov 04 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Garnz
My friedn has a Corsa Gsi running roughly 230 bhp thats with an 11k rev limit look here if you want to know whats had done. The head had to be machined as the cam he fitted was so big it it the rocker cover.

http://www.streetdragster.com/Cars/Needs%20Pictures%20-%20Kierans%20Corsa%20GSi/Vauxhall_Corsa_GSi_Page_01.htm

230bhp, I doubt it, 11k RPM, I doubt this also.

Andy has spent ridiculous amounts on his engine which revs to 9k RPM and his engine produces (did produce) 215bhp

I would love to know what your mate has done to his engine with regards to the rest of the spec, not just whats on that webpage for him to achieve 230bhp
Siberia

2nd Nov 04 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Right - a bit of feedback needed here

Yes, my engine was an X16XE producing 214bhp (see spec in my garage). But it is no more now - shattered valve spring caused valve to drop into cylinder 4, destroying piston, head and fcuking up bore Fortunately rods and other 3 pistons and cams, valve caps etc are all OK, so I've got myself a donor C16XE engine which will be rebuilt from scratch. I'm going to use the same spec that Swindon Racing engines used when they built the Group A Vaux 1.6 rally engines - they made 205bhp on a single restricted inlet. If I get the head right, hoping for around 215-220bhp at 8500rpm I'm not using the SBD double springs again - SBD told me that they're only good for a couple of thousand miles - wish they'd told me that when I bought them! But I am using some very high quality German single springs that Swindon have lying around. Apparently were used in all the touring cars. Should get 10,000miles at least

Which brings me to my main point. The 1.6 can be tuned like crazy, but expect to pay big money and more maintenance costs as soon as revs climb above 8000rpm. If you simply stick on TBs to standard engine, you'll get a reliable 155-160bhp and wide torque curve. Flow the head, fit a good manifold and put some MILD cams in, and you'll get 180bhp and still have a wide torque curve - all running on standard internals. Above 180bhp, and it starts to get expensive cos you need wilder cams and more revs.

Hope this helps

i seen u looking for an engine block in the classifields... i presumed something had fecked up.... i'd say a valve dropping at 9000RPM sounded nice

i was gonna u2u u and ask you what i needed to do to the engine besides T'Bs to get up to 170-180BHP buts sure you have asnwered it all there

so er... some fast road cams, a set of jenveys, some Arp's and a proper exhaust....

i'm planning a full rebuild anyways.....

[Edited on 02-11-2004 by Siberia]
Cybermonkey

3rd Nov 04 at 05:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by Garnz

230bhp, I doubt it, 11k RPM, I doubt this also.

Andy has spent ridiculous amounts on his engine which revs to 9k RPM and his engine produces (did produce) 215bhp

I would love to know what your mate has done to his engine with regards to the rest of the spec, not just whats on that webpage for him to achieve 230bhp

Is that the dry sump on front of the header tank?
Cybermonkey

3rd Nov 04 at 05:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with an 11k rev limit, you will be looking at more than 230bhp, so i suspect its close to 9500rpm, since the jenvey TB's he is using specifically cater for 250bhp with a 10k limit.
miles

3rd Nov 04 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It says 11k rev counter....

I think the spec of my Nova engine (C16XE) was as good as it gets without spending silly money. It was at the level where if I wanted to go further we were talking steel rods, new pistons, lairier cams (and a bit less drivability) and valve springs etc.

It drove fine, was ok at low rpm, idled fine, started from cold no problem, and did a 14.0 second quarter mile.

Jeeze I miss her...
miles

3rd Nov 04 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And its not a dry sump, its a simple catch tank.

Andy, sorry to hear about that mate, hope you get it sorted easily and cheaply.
Greasemonkey

3rd Nov 04 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

11K limit on standard crank dont think so
J da Silva

3rd Nov 04 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
11K limit on standard crank dont think so

Is it a load of Pollocks then?
Greasemonkey

3rd Nov 04 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like Pollocks dont it,
J da Silva

3rd Nov 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well don't give realistic, experienced theories on corsasport, it get's you nowhere greasey.
Ojc

3rd Nov 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
It says 11k rev counter....

I think the spec of my Nova engine (C16XE) was as good as it gets without spending silly money. It was at the level where if I wanted to go further we were talking steel rods, new pistons, lairier cams (and a bit less drivability) and valve springs etc.

It drove fine, was ok at low rpm, idled fine, started from cold no problem, and did a 14.0 second quarter mile.

Jeeze I miss her...

Miles, do you ever do a quarter mile with it not tuned?
3CorsaMeal

3rd Nov 04 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i heard the micra 1.3 lump is better
miles

3rd Nov 04 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, never ran it standard.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll