corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Microsoft Windows 98se HELP!????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Microsoft Windows 98se HELP!????
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 04 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had windows-mellinium, it crashed! so i have gone back to my old version of windows Win 98se (the restore pack is 4 years old by the way!!)

i got everything back up and all was good for while then ALL my media players crash/error message when i try tp play somthing i have downloaded!! including- media player 8 and 10, realplayer ONE and 10, nokia multimedia player, also kazaa lite++ version2 wont connect!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also the date wont stay in memory!! keeps resetting back to jan 1980 on each start up!!
HELP whats wrong??

[Edited on 22-10-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Oct 04 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone.....
Big Col

22nd Oct 04 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC

also the date wont stay in memory!! keeps resetting back to jan 1980 on each start up!!
HELP whats wrong??

CMOS battery on the motherboard is dead
Andrew

22nd Oct 04 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm assuming what you have done is just uninstalled Windows Me which has then gone back to Windoes 98. BAD IDEA! You really need to format the Hard Drive and start again with either 98 or Me. Again i'm assuming that your system is faily old.

If i have got the first assumption wrong then it could be the battery that has gone flat. It's a dead easy job to do, all you need to do is pull the old one out an put in a new one. Normally if it's the bat then you get an error upon pulling the plug out on your system asking you if you want to restore the system BIOS defaults.
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Oct 04 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes its a old machine 4yrs! P3 700hrtz, upgraded-512mb sd ram, 32mb Gforce2 graphics..but doesnt installing a windows operating system format the HDD during installation anyway??

i was playing around with the battery on the motherboard so i may have moved it out of place or damage it
this a Different HDD im using, from mate who installed windows XP on it for me on HIS pc, it didnt work on mine when i plugged it in!
i guess its not possible to plug it straight into my pc and expect to work???

another comp nerd mate said the "bios-motherboard-software" (somthing like that) needs to be updated to run xp as its outdated
so i just installed win 98se, and again im guessing it formats it during the installation process???
James_DT

22nd Oct 04 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you install XP on another computer, you'll need to reinstall it on your computer. Nothing to do with activation shite, just XP uses so many hardware-dependant drivers it won't start if a lot of hardware changes. I found this when I upgraded my computer.
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Oct 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so thats that point cleard up

what about the formating of the HDD now...
doesn't installing any windows operating system format the hardrive during installation anyway??

and isit possible or even WORTH it for me to get XP on it considering my spec???
James_DT

22nd Oct 04 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen XP running quite happily on a P2 333Mhz machine, so yours should be fine. And no, Windows Install only formats the drive if you tell it to.
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Oct 04 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i installed win 98se it was completely automatic!!! all i did was click on continue and thats it, it installed it, took a while though!
and same thing with xp!

but when my mate installed windows mellinium on it it was a long complicated process!! lots of typing and formating screens involved!!!
but anyway, windows media player9 seems to be working now!! its unstable though! keeps crashing or freezing!

[Edited on 22-10-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
MarkW

22nd Oct 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bollocks about the bios update - tht will onli flash it - possible processor has gone tits up or overheated ur processor fan still running???
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Oct 04 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i only want XP if it will run good or better than windows ME. my mate said it may not on my machine????

he's Very good with computers! his dads owns a computer business!
he was in a rush, but quickly tried to install xp on it, but ran into problems with getting lots of file errors!

he said somthing about the "Bios- motherboard- outdated- flushing -software update needed"!???
said was simple case of downloading some software to update the "date" or somthing as xp came out in 2002, 2 years after i got my pc!
he gonna look at it 2moro hopefully, he's sorting it out for free!!
James_DT

22nd Oct 04 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll run better than ME, ME is a crock of shite. The BIOS shouldn't need updating at all. Install XP, turn off Fisher Price mode, it runs fine. If he got errors it's cause he's installing it from a CD that's fucked or screwing it up somehow else.
MarkW

23rd Oct 04 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh - memory has to be stable for xp - 2 b honest with you m8 i'd stop arsing about - get ur so called comp expert to do a proper full format and install win98 - problem sorted - if media player still crashes i'd be changing memory........

New Poll