corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Alpine 4x60w HUs.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alpine 4x60w HUs.....
Scotty_B

User status: Offline
19th Oct 04 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend has just bought a new Alpine 9812rb. The power cable that goes to the battery is only about 2 foot long.
Why don't they supply you with a long enough cable to reach the battery?
Now I'll have to go and buy some additional cable for it to reach. Anyone know what guage cable I need?
suchcorsa1.2_8v

19th Oct 04 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an Alpine 9807 rb whihc is also 4x60w. I didnt put a direct battery feed on i just used the power feed from the original ISO plug. Mine has worked fine and has probably been in about 6 months. I have had no problems just wire it all up as normal. I think you only need a direct battery feed if you are powering really powerful sepakers. However my HU manages fine power my 6x9s and my front infinity speakers.
AdiSRI

19th Oct 04 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This made me chuckle....

quote:
Originally posted by suchcorsa1.2_8v
I think you only need a direct battery feed if you are powering really powerful sepakers.

How is it that the speakers it is powering makes any difference..... it doesnt. Fact is the current draw from the hu amp (could, but almost certainly wont) exceed the maximum for the cars loom so they reccomend wiring it direct to battery. However most people dont and its fine so you should be ok not to bother.

I dont like taking chances tho so i wired mine in to the distribution block for my amps.

[Edited on 19-10-2004 by AdiSRI]
Scotty_B

19th Oct 04 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think you'll get 4x60 unless it has the proper power. She paid a bit more for the extra features like 4x60. The power wire from the HU is much thicker than that of the ISO wires and could put way to much strain on the OE wires.
AdiSRI

19th Oct 04 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The amp is 4 x 60w peak m8, its 4 x 27 w RMS, and when worked out mathematically it is not possible for it to draw enough current to cause a problem...

I was told that by a professional ICE instaler, but as i say i still wired mine in direct.
Dom

19th Oct 04 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it requires a direct feed, which it does in the manual, and you go against it and it catched fire, then your the one at fault - hence why i dont think you can claim under warranty etc etc

easiest way, get some 4 gauge or 8 gauge, and fuse holder and fuse rated to that of the HU (equal to the amout on the back of the HU), get a new postive clamp for the battery and wire it all through the gromet behind the glovebox - will take you about an hr maybe 2 max, and there will be even less of a chance of it frying your car
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Oct 04 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i HIGHLY recommend that you use a Thick wire direct from the battery!!!!!!!

ive had my alpin HU for over 3 years! it was top of the range then and i wired it using a wire just about the same size/thickness as the one on the head unit!!!!

and just over a month ago i re-wired it using a much thicker cable and i noticed a BIG difference in sound quality! and the lights on the head unit dont flash at all when at higher volumes! so i was able to put the gain up higher on my amp to the 6x9's

[Edited on 22-10-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
MJ

23rd Oct 04 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the 9812 headunti and have wired it to the battery doesnt take long to do and better safe than sorry, im also running 4 X 50RMS alpine type r speakers off of it.
infinitycorsa

25th Oct 04 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Direct no question......

The head unit draws alot of power.... if the head units been on , on a long journey just feel the back of it........IS IT WARM? correct me if im wrong but isnt that a loss of energy....... what im trying to say is u need a decent power need as the amps in these are thirsty... on my 9813 u can turn the internal amp off, so u can run just ya amps....... if ya doing this you might get away with not hard wiring, other wise wire straight to the battery with correct fusing etc
Red_SXi

26th Oct 04 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep i wired mine up direct too

New Poll