corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Home made push button start, how to wire in? (was in electrics but no replys)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home made push button start, how to wire in? (was in electrics but no replys)
moddedcorsa

User status: Offline
6th Oct 04 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, there my friends got a corsa b and wants to wire in

Push to make switch (push button start)

Aircraft style switch (ignition ON/OFF)

And a red indicator light, not green as shown in pic (ignition on indicator)

Said id give him a hand, as hes no idea with electrics, but i want to know exactly what im doing before i attempt it.

What i want to do is:

When the ignition is turned to last position before engaging the starter, put the aircraft style kill switch in the on position, therefor putting the red light on, and giving power to the push button, so when presses this activates the starter.

Straight forward idea, but dont know how to connecet it, ive a basic knowledge of ellectrics, but not shure how to go about connecting this one up.

Im completely guessing, but i think the red light is wired into the batt light in the dash?
And the kill switch to the live from ignition relay?
And the push button to 2nd last and last wires in the ignition barrel??

Any help appreciated
Dom

6th Oct 04 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u richie mate, he know his shite but i would get a lighted push switch mate, saves on having the red lamp to indicate power - instead, the push button will light up would look alot neater too

one step better would be to replace the ignition key start to a simple 2 point key switch (basically the same, but without the 3rd starter stage on the key barrell), place it somewhere on the dash (blank up the old hole in the steering wheel bit) and then place the push start button somewhere near it - would look propper TVR, caterham style start
moddedcorsa

6th Oct 04 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the corsa is gonna be rally style, so kinda wanted the seperate indicator light.

Nice idea, but think ill just stick with the original idea, less work, and easier to put back to std.

thanks for the reply mate
moddedcorsa

7th Oct 04 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone else?
Richie

7th Oct 04 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i reply to you in the morning ill do a diagram for thee.
moddedcorsa

7th Oct 04 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks alot, your help is greatly appreciated! No rush, anytime before next week is great
moddedcorsa

9th Oct 04 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You made the diagram yet mate? lol
Richie

9th Oct 04 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck i forgot

Ill defo do it monday cos then i can also tell you what colour wires are what in the corsa that ull need, i need my haynes
moddedcorsa

9th Oct 04 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries mate, would rather wait if u r giving me the colours aswell
Easier to follow. Those haynes wiring diagrams are a nightmare to read for me
CorsaJunkie

10th Oct 04 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

once you finish it , it'd be nice to post some pics and instructions on the tutorials sections.
Seems like an interesting mod!
moddedcorsa

10th Oct 04 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah will do. Something a bit different i suppose.
westsidecorsa

10th Oct 04 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate did this himself and wired it to the cig lighter, so he pressed the cig lighter to start the car, very different but i never found out how to do it. would be good to know how if anyone wants to post intructions!
Richie

14th Oct 04 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa push start installation for Modded Corsa.

Ok, plan of attack.

Wire up aircraft style switch so when on, lights up the indicator light, and gives power to the push start button.

I must stress that this is not an easy job and do not cut ANY corners.

Ok well to start, you are also going to need a 20a minimum 4 pin automotive relay. This is because the push button switch you want to use is NOT designed to handle the current to the starter relay, and it will probably melt the switch. That switch can only handle about 1 amp. What the switch will act as instead is a small current trigger which will turn on the relay to supply power to the starter. Try and keep all wires as short as possible. Solder all joints where you are required to tap into the wires. The reason that relays ect will be used in this installation is because this is just not a straight forward push start and because you are using a low current push switch.

Don’t forget that the item you showed me from Maplin is ONLY a cover for the switch. You will need to get item JK26D aswell, which is a dual pole single throw toggle switch, which will have 4 pins but 2 dedicated conductors. Please make sure you use properly crimped 15 amp spade connectors on all your wires and switches.

Ok to start.

Find the black/violet wire coming out of the ignition barrel and tap into it. DO NOT CUT IT. Use at least 5 amp cable. Run the wire you tapped into the black/violent wire with to one pin on the aircraft style switch. You will then need to double this over to the other pin inline with the pin you have wired it to. Here is a diagram:

As you can see, you then need to take a wire from one of the other pins to the positive terminal on the indicator light, then take a ground wire to the ground pin on the indicator light. If you want to test so far without wiring up the wire to the push to make switch, just turn the key to ignition and flick the toggle switch, and the light should light up.

Ok, now we take the wire from the last remaining pin on the toggle switch to one pin on the push to make switch. Then from the last pin on the push to make switch, we take that to the trigger on the relay, which is usually numbered pin 86.

Now for the relay wiring. You now need to use a cable as thick as the black/violet and black/red cables. 17a cable should do, a 2/5m roll is usually about £3/£4. Once again you need to tap into the black/violet wire, ideally after where you tapped into it last time, not before. Then take this wire to pin 30 on the relay. Take a 17a wire from pin 85 to a clean earth point on the chassis. Then you need to take a 17a wire from pin 86 on the relay and tap it into the black/red wire coming out of the ignition barrel.

Make sure all connections have been soldered properly and adequately insulated.

If all has gone well, you should be able to turn the key to ignition, flick the missle switch which will turn the light on, press the push button and the car should start

PLEASE NOTE:

I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAULTS OR PROBLEMS ARISING FROM THIS GUIDE. THIS IS A GUIDE ONLY AND IS TO BE DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
langey

14th Oct 04 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if all has gone well you'll be able to turn the key to igniton, thenflick the switch then pres the button,

so your still putting the key in??

isnt it easier just turniong the key, evan if it does look cool
moddedcorsa

14th Oct 04 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks alot mate, Quite alot of work, but the concept is fairly straight forward.

Just wondering, see in the diagram whats the unit that the wires are goin in to?

Also if i used a bigger rated push button, eg the type of push start button used on industrial machines (ive got one, will go check what is printed on it)
moddedcorsa

14th Oct 04 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by langey
if all has gone well you'll be able to turn the key to igniton, thenflick the switch then pres the button,

so your still putting the key in??

isnt it easier just turniong the key, evan if it does look cool

yeah mate, just something ive wanted to try. Was gonna do it on a mates corsa but think i will just wait and do it on mine when i get it, which will hopefully be this wknd.
Richie

14th Oct 04 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that wiring diagram is of the maplin switch. It will have 4 blades on it.

You need a push button capable of handling at least 15a if you want to ditch the relay, but it also means that the toggle switch needs to handle that current also. Only way around it is to run a wire directly to the new switch, but then it would always be active without flicking the switch, unless you switched it seperately.
moddedcorsa

14th Oct 04 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so the above method is probably best

But i will use the other push button switch i have.
its from an industrial machine, switch is rated at 400v, and has 10(6)A.
Its got 4 contacts, (double pole i think its called? used to switch both phase(live) and negative wires.
moddedcorsa

14th Oct 04 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im actually really looking forward to this modd!

thanks again mate.

Lee 16v

14th Oct 04 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
Corsa push start installation for Modded Corsa.

Ok, plan of attack.

Wire up aircraft style switch so when on, lights up the indicator light, and gives power to the push start button.

I must stress that this is not an easy job and do not cut ANY corners.

Ok well to start, you are also going to need a 20a minimum 4 pin automotive relay. This is because the push button switch you want to use is NOT designed to handle the current to the starter relay, and it will probably melt the switch. That switch can only handle about 1 amp. What the switch will act as instead is a small current trigger which will turn on the relay to supply power to the starter. Try and keep all wires as short as possible. Solder all joints where you are required to tap into the wires. The reason that relays ect will be used in this installation is because this is just not a straight forward push start and because you are using a low current push switch.

Don’t forget that the item you showed me from Maplin is ONLY a cover for the switch. You will need to get item JK26D aswell, which is a dual pole single throw toggle switch, which will have 4 pins but 2 dedicated conductors. Please make sure you use properly crimped 15 amp spade connectors on all your wires and switches.

Ok to start.

Find the black/violet wire coming out of the ignition barrel and tap into it. DO NOT CUT IT. Use at least 5 amp cable. Run the wire you tapped into the black/violent wire with to one pin on the aircraft style switch. You will then need to double this over to the other pin inline with the pin you have wired it to. Here is a diagram:

As you can see, you then need to take a wire from one of the other pins to the positive terminal on the indicator light, then take a ground wire to the ground pin on the indicator light. If you want to test so far without wiring up the wire to the push to make switch, just turn the key to ignition and flick the toggle switch, and the light should light up.

Ok, now we take the wire from the last remaining pin on the toggle switch to one pin on the push to make switch. Then from the last pin on the push to make switch, we take that to the trigger on the relay, which is usually numbered pin 86.

Now for the relay wiring. You now need to use a cable as thick as the black/violet and black/red cables. 17a cable should do, a 2/5m roll is usually about £3/£4. Once again you need to tap into the black/violet wire, ideally after where you tapped into it last time, not before. Then take this wire to pin 30 on the relay. Take a 17a wire from pin 85 to a clean earth point on the chassis. Then you need to take a 17a wire from pin 86 on the relay and tap it into the black/red wire coming out of the ignition barrel.

Make sure all connections have been soldered properly and adequately insulated.

If all has gone well, you should be able to turn the key to ignition, flick the missle switch which will turn the light on, press the push button and the car should start

PLEASE NOTE:

I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAULTS OR PROBLEMS ARISING FROM THIS GUIDE. THIS IS A GUIDE ONLY AND IS TO BE DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You mate truly are a don ..
Sam16v

15th Oct 04 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u mentalasanything, he's done several of them in his car & his mates'....
Richie

15th Oct 04 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The concept of this one Sam is slightly different than a normal push button start...
langey

15th Oct 04 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont understand why you'd go to the trouble of all that and still have to put the key in anyway

seems fair intresting tho, and would look smart, you'd just have to put the key in without anyone seeing it
moddedcorsa

15th Oct 04 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the point of putting the key in, is so that sum1 cant just smash a window get in and press the start button.

Just something different i suppose

New Poll