corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC People?!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC People?!
Paul_J

User status: Offline
7th Sep 04 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got another PC (which I've built), but all parts except for the screen turned up, so I'm manually swapping the cables back and forth between the 2 pcs...

Anyway, I keep realising I need things, whether it be from this computer, or the internet and am currently constantly slapping it on a cd to move it across!

But isn't there a easier way just to temporaily link the 2 pc's so I can send things across?

1 has a network card, but the other doesn't...

Am I able to just get a usb cable and plug it from one pc to the other? and when I do this, how would I need to set it up, so I can remotely access the other pc from the other (or just send things across easily (without having to change the monitor around every time) cheers...

Paul J
MarkW

7th Sep 04 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u'd be better off going buying another network card for the second machine and a rj45 crossover cable - should cost £10 - £15 quid at most - plus you can use it when both machine's are sorted
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Sep 04 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

random googling:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/usbmain.htm
Dom

7th Sep 04 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i believe you can network via USB However, you need a converter usb cable, which is about 40 odd quid

So it would be cheaper to get another NIC card and a crossover cable, and transfer files that way

LINK HERE ON USB NETWORK
Paul_J

7th Sep 04 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ugh... the thing is, my new pc is for uni - so I'm only temp having it here...
willay
Premium Member

7th Sep 04 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CDRW!
MarkW

7th Sep 04 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

i'd still do it m8 save loadsa pissin about
Dom

7th Sep 04 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by purple5
quote:

i'd still do it m8 save loadsa pissin about
a
aye mate, i would do it also. Plus its useful to have, especially if you have broadband at uni in your room etc etc
willay
Premium Member

7th Sep 04 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

his new computer is the one with the network card.
willay
Premium Member

7th Sep 04 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh also you can try writing a list of all the software you need first, files and what have you. THEN burning it to CD.
Paul_J

7th Sep 04 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hehe... They did say my student village had 'High Speed Internet Access' I'm hoping T3 straight to my pc lol

Will probably limit what I can do though, i.e. put bandwidth restraints lol!

Ok I can't be arsed to do any of this stuff then, I'll continue to burn things to cd to move them across.
Dom

7th Sep 04 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
his new computer is the one with the network card.

does it? he doesnt state that in his first post thats all
Dom

7th Sep 04 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
hehe... They did say my student village had 'High Speed Internet Access' I'm hoping T3 straight to my pc lol

Ok I can't be arsed to do any of this stuff then, I'll continue to burn things to cd to move them across.

the usual case is that you have a slight restriction on ports 80/21/email (http and ftp) and they either block or restrict other ports...so you will find that you can only get 10k max on P2P software etc
willay
Premium Member

7th Sep 04 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Depending on what uni you go to, you may get ass raided, I heard Manchester have some tight rules going on with their access.

Also just on a technical note, we don't acually have Tx's over here in the UK (or Europe I think) We have E1,E2,E3.
willay
Premium Member

7th Sep 04 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:

the usual case is that you have a slight restriction on ports 80/21/email (http and ftp) and they either block or restrict other ports...so you will find that you can only get 10k max on P2P software etc

Thats right, since p2p got so popular it was wanking down uni's pipes out to the internet so JANET (people who do the education connections for the uk I believe?) got anal on the students. Only to protect their own backs in the long run.
Nismo

7th Sep 04 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depening on file size cant you use a usb dongle , or if you have a memory card reader just chuck it on there and usb accross.
dave17

7th Sep 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh my mate had internet at his uni. he couldn use P2P or bit torrent, or play online games
willay
Premium Member

7th Sep 04 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave17
yeh my mate had internet at his uni. he couldn use P2P or bit torrent, or play online games

p2p and bittorrent i'll agree on, even though they do have their legal purposes at times. But blocking high ports for online games sucks ass.

Though if you can round up enough local geeks in the dorms you can just play a large LAN game

Same goes for file sharing, if you scan your local subnet when you get there for open windows shares, you should find some interesting results

New Poll