corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » mesenger after installing a home network

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author mesenger after installing a home network
Greg_M

User status: Offline
   2nd Sep 04 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone else having problems signing in?

just got wireless network wondering if its that? any i got any ideas

[Edited on 06-09-2004 by Greg12v]
Dom

2nd Sep 04 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye mate, you need to switch nat on ya router or route your ports through or if you have a router, then set the DMX to your pcs ip address
Greg_M

2nd Sep 04 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
aye mate, you need to switch nat on ya router or route your ports through or if you have a router, then set the DMX to your pcs ip address

what!!!!!

and im on aol if that makes a diff

[Edited on 02-09-2004 by Greg12v]
Dom

2nd Sep 04 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greg12v
quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan

what!!!!!

and im on aol if that makes a diff

[Edited on 02-09-2004 by Greg12v]

how havve you got your wireless network setup? router?

if its a router, then the simplest way is to set your pc to a static ip (read you router manual for this) and then set the DMZ (allows a single ip address/computer to access the broadband connection without using the routers firewall) to the ip address of you static address you gave your pc
Greg_M

2nd Sep 04 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope, its all like concord mate......way way over my head. no idea what you just said at all
Greg_M

3rd Sep 04 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt please help
Dom

3rd Sep 04 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how have you got it connected? router or ad-hoc (you have two wireless cards, and you use one pc to share the internet connection)?

and if its a router, what make and model?

[Edited on 03-09-2004 by VisibleMan]
Greg_M

3rd Sep 04 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a bt voyager 2100, adsl model and router, i have one witeless card (not in PC yet) and one wireless card in laptop (installed)
Dom

3rd Sep 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first thing you need to set a static ip address, so - go start > settings > network connections > select your wireless adaptor connection > right mouse click disable it. Then right-mouse click again > select properties, then select internet protocol > click properties. Then select "use the following ip address" and enter the following:

IP Addy: 192.168.1.2 (your pc static ip address)
subnet mask: should get filled out already (if not try 255.255.255.0 or 255.0.0.0)
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (your routers ip address)

Ok it all, restart pc and re-enable the network connection

It should work again, hopefully. Next, you want to set you computer as the DMZ host -
In your browser type - http://192.168.1.1 and login using admin for both username and password (unless you have changed it, in which case enter those).
Click Advanced > Virtual Server > Select "forward to the DMZ host" then enter the ip address 192.168.1.2 and click apply.

Next thing you want to do is enable WEP encryprion, if you havn't.
Click Advanced > Wireless and do the following (taken from the manual) :

To setup WEP security:

Select 128-bit WEP.

Enter Key1. The key can be any string of 13 characters. All other options can be ignored unless you have specific security requirements.

Important: Make a note of the key somewhere safe: you will need it later to connect your wireless adapters.

Click Apply to save your changes

Your computer will lose its wireless connection with the Voyager 2100. You now need to configure your wireless adapters with matching security settings. Please refer to your wireless adapter's instructions.

After that, reboot bothing you pc and router (unplug it from the wall, leave it a few seconds and plug it back in).
And if you can surf the net ok, then have a butchers on MSN
Also, since your computer is connected directy to the broadband connection (in theory) you need to get yourself a decent firewall (disable XP's if you use that), such as zonealarm etc. And get that setup
Dom

3rd Sep 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw, i used the >> MANUAL << for references etc etc as i dont have the router, nor ever used one like that. But have a butchers at the manual link if you get stuck Or phone technical support
Greg_M

3rd Sep 04 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive done all that, and it still wount sign into msn! grrrrrrr
DAYZEE

4th Sep 04 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you access the internet through explorer? If you can its nothing to do with your network setup.
And you don't need to put yourself in the DMZ to use MSN. You also dont need to assign a static IP address. Just make sure the DHCP server on your router is enabled and it will do it all for you.
Greg_M

4th Sep 04 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i can get internet through IE, so what do i do tho sort it, any ideas?
Greg_M

6th Sep 04 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt

also having probs with some internet sights, pay pal ect
PaulW

6th Sep 04 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the router supplied by AOL??

Keyword: TechChat

or give them a ring, its a bit different cos of the AOL software, so there the ones your best asking.
Dom

6th Sep 04 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DAYZEE
Can you access the internet through explorer? If you can its nothing to do with your network setup.
And you don't need to put yourself in the DMZ to use MSN. You also dont need to assign a static IP address. Just make sure the DHCP server on your router is enabled and it will do it all for you.

no this is true. However, is does save alot of pissing about when using programs that the router cant reconise via nat etc etc.

try disabling any firewalls on your pc, especially XPs firewall, reboot and have a butchers again...see if that works
if that doesnt work, then either bt is blocking it....very unlikely, or your router is blocking it.
Although if you can get hold of a stand-alone ADSL modem and give that a whirl, it would be good, as you can then tell if its the router for deffo, or if its something fooked on ya lappy or bt is blocking it (again very unlikey)

or phone BT tech support and ask them...especially since it is one of their own routers etc
Greg_M

6th Sep 04 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

or give them a ring, its a bit different cos of the AOL software, so there the ones your best asking.

no, got it from PC world!

will try disabling firewalls, but then thats dangerous surely
Dom

6th Sep 04 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you still have a static ips etc then you could try port forwarding the msn ports to your ip address and see if that helps

messenger uses -
TCP port 1863 and 443 for authentication
Dom

6th Sep 04 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

aye, but only do it for 10mins or so, just so you can try it out and see where the problem lies
PaulW

6th Sep 04 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

first thing...

is this specific router SUPPORTED by AOL?? and also compatible... Not all of them are & problems like you say do occur...

I cheated & used a linux 'box as a router on my network, plus also saves me having to use thie shitey AOL software!
Greg_M

6th Sep 04 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, well ive just checked and its not one their 'supported' list!

think this mite be going back, surely it shoudl say on the box if it doesnt work with AOL!

will this be the problem?
Dom

6th Sep 04 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

first thing...

is this specific router SUPPORTED by AOL?? and also compatible... Not all of them are & problems like you say do occur...

I cheated & used a linux 'box as a router on my network, plus also saves me having to use thie shitey AOL software!

is he using AOL then?
eitherway, the router is by BT, so i would assume you would phone them for techy support
eitherway, you need to check that your ISP supports the router you brought, otherwise they wont be able to help, hence why i said phone BT etc

although they will just get you to disable the firewall(s), see if the other pcs works etc. Might get you to port forward, or DMZ your connection....and they will deffo ask you if you can get borrow a stand-alone modem to see if it is your router at fault (i know this, because its what i got taught when working for good old pipex)
Greg_M

6th Sep 04 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah ive got the original AOL model, that i was sent when i signed up, that works fine.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » mesenger after installing a home network 23 database queries in 0.2047579 seconds