corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 12v into 240v plug

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 12v into 240v plug
Cavey

User status: Offline
5th Aug 04 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone help with this ?

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=163371
Tim
Site Administrator

5th Aug 04 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a cheap transformer and splice the wires together (like a spare computer speaker power adapter -- most are 12v and 500mA)...

Or power it off your computer (one of the 4 pin connectors which provide power to cd-rom/harddisks/etc...

Yellow wire is +12V and the black is Ground (0V)
Cavey

5th Aug 04 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ha, might have a spare power supply hanging around somewhere, cheers
ed

5th Aug 04 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna jack the thread now

I want to do something similar, but the other way round. I was wondering if it was possible to power a three pin plug socket like you get in houses off of the car battery, so I can plug my laptop into my car to charge it when i'm driving along. Would it be safe to power the plug off of an invertor?
Drew
Banned

5th Aug 04 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maplins - 30 quid or so
Cavey

5th Aug 04 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be, yeah.

Can get them from loads of places.

Theiving git, any idea how to do mine ?

Got a spare supply. But it won't power up without motherboard, and a switch
Tim
Site Administrator

5th Aug 04 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes. Get an invertor and wire a household plug socket into its output.

An invertor steps up the 12v to 240v, but you can't draw too much current. You will need a beefier invertor depending on the current draw of your laptop power adaptor (should be stamped on it...).

If you multiply the voltage and current it will give you the power. The invertor should be spec'd well above this so it doesn't run to hard...

A cleverer way of doing it would be to find out the voltage needed by your laptop. If it's 12v or around that then it'd make more sense to convert 12v straight to 16v or whatever, rather than stepping upto 240v only to have the laptop power adapter step it back down to 16v or whatever...

[Edited on 05-08-2004 by Tim]
ed

5th Aug 04 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is good , just had another thought, I seen USB GPS antenna's going for quite cheap now, so I could use it for Sat Nav too...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 12v into 240v plug 23 database queries in 0.0099628 seconds