corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Best EARTH location in car??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best EARTH location in car??
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
5th Aug 04 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were is the best place to Earth electrical devices, e.g windows, sunroof, neons etc?? and is it ok to wire them all to the same earth??
Houckham

5th Aug 04 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car chassis metal bits. are earthed

as long as the wire your using to connect the component to the car body is thick enough to handle the current it should be fine!

[Edited on 05-08-2004 by Houckham]
MoNkEy MaGiC

5th Aug 04 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so anything near gear lever, under seats and generally on the floor is ok?

so the earth wire has to be a suitable current rating also!?? i thought it was the live wire that was more important?

[Edited on 05-08-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Richie

5th Aug 04 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Live and ground wires should be the same thickness.

You can ground pretty much on any metal point of the car. You can even ground inside the door if needs be.
neoquip

5th Aug 04 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

under side of your seat sub frame.. just scratch some paint off so you get a metal contact tho!
M2RTY

5th Aug 04 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
Live and ground wires should be the same thickness.

You can ground pretty much on any metal point of the car. You can even ground inside the door if needs be.

inside door can be a problem if muck gets onto the hinges tho
Richie

5th Aug 04 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, any tight connection wont allow muck to get there.
MoNkEy MaGiC

5th Aug 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, also....the windows and sunroof will be wired to same single live feed of battery and draw maximum 40AMPS.....HOWEVER is it ok to use a 30AMP wire???....as wont be using both at same time or even if i do, Not for long or constantly?

i got some "inline blade fuse holders" which are rated at holding 15AMP fuses! will these be ok to use?...again as the devices are not used long or constantly?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
6th Aug 04 at 01:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best earth is usually the one closest to the thing you're earthing so long as its on the main body of the car (ie. not in the door for the windows).

If you're putting a complete fresh feed in for them this should be fused close to the battery (ideally right next to it) and grommited as it enters at the bulkhead. If the devices are going to draw 40A then you need a 40A wire and 40A fuses.

You'll find that if you under-rate the fuse it'll blow at the end of the travel when the motor is most strained (ie. when the window is shut but your finger is still on the button).

However, 40A is a lot, check that.
MoNkEy MaGiC

6th Aug 04 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think 40AMPs the most it will draw, e.g. if i opened Both windows and the sunroof at same time, but the circuit will only be operated for a few seconds and i will hardly ever use "Everything" at the same time! so thats why i thought i would get away with using a 30AMP wire for the live feed???

and what about the inline fuse holders, it says they should only hold max of 15AMP fuses?? i didnt think i would have to buy special fuse holders

and yes im going to use a 40AMP fuse right next to battery and then when it splits into 2, one for the window and one for sunroof a 20AMP fuse on each
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
7th Aug 04 at 02:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to rate it lower, I'd run the proper cable but downgrade the fuses and see how long they last, as you say probably OK.

The fuse holders have to be special things I think, its not that the fuse won't physically fit but the connectors are a different gauge so as a bonus they'll be easier to work with on your thicker wire.
MoNkEy MaGiC

7th Aug 04 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers mate, il use a 40AMP wire to be on safe side

the fuse holders dont actually have "metal connecters" there inline fuse holders, with 2 wires, one coming out of each end, and i think its the wires that are rated at 15AMP not the actuall fuse holder??...
so if i just cut the wire real short and use the 40AMP wire will it be ok??

otherwise il get some higher rated fuse holders, do halfords have them??

[Edited on 07-08-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Richie

7th Aug 04 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fuse holder has a specified rating also.

New Poll