corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine running hotter than normal!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine running hotter than normal!
tiptoptim

User status: Offline
4th Aug 04 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My engine normailly sits around the 90 mark on temp guage, but this week it has been sitting round 92 mark. I am putting some of this down to the hot weather but my fan is kicking in around the 94 mark which is way to early as it normally kicks in around 100. I have already changed the fan switch at the bottom of the radiator, but I have never changed the thermostat.

Also, sorry for the essay but I checked my water in the header tank yesterday and it was really low, so I have topped that up and it doesnt seem to have gone down. When the fan does come in it does cool it down slowly so it is not getting hotter and hotter.

It is just really annoying me. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Many thanks.
Tim
Adam-D

4th Aug 04 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the weather as long as the coolent isnt dissapearing then it shud be ok
tiptoptim

4th Aug 04 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had changed a pipe about a month ago and lost all the water/coolent in the header tank. So I put just water back in it as I am planning on flushing the system soon. Checked the tank yesterday lunch and it was very very low. I have since topped it up and it doesnt seem to have gone down. I have never changed the thermostat.
L330wnz

4th Aug 04 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine normally sits at 95..but a 1.6 in that little engine bay will get hot so I dunno if diff engines will differ on when the fan cuts in.. my fan will cut in at 100... but u gotta take into consideration... the weather (is it a hot muggy day?) and how u r driving i.e. ragging its tits off?!

Ur fan IS cutting in at reasonable temperature so I wudn't worry too much buddy
mossy

4th Aug 04 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn it off...always works 4 me
Rileysport

4th Aug 04 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tiptoptim
I had changed a pipe about a month ago and lost all the water/coolent in the header tank. So I put just water back in it as I am planning on flushing the system soon. Checked the tank yesterday lunch and it was very very low. I have since topped it up and it doesnt seem to have gone down. I have never changed the thermostat.

GET ANTI FREEZE IN ASAP.... its also a corrosion inhibitor, and lubes the water pump. I had a head go on a 16 v rover lump coz some numpty had run it without anti-freeze
tiptoptim

4th Aug 04 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mossy
turn it off...always works 4 me

Turn what off? I havent been driving it any faster than normal. I occasionally boot it mainly on the motor way on way to work, once it has warmed up a bit. Also is antifreeze something I can just add to my current amount of water or would it be best to flush it? If Flushing is required how is this done?
L330wnz

4th Aug 04 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

err u might need to drain some water out to apply the anti freeze...but I dunno how much u'd put in to be honest...but deffo need to drain sum water out..sum how
tiptoptim

4th Aug 04 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right will try to do this tonight. I will take a pipe out to release water and then then top it up with antifreeze

New Poll