corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » engine conversions and SVA

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author engine conversions and SVA
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Jul 04 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do u need a SVA ( special Vehicle Approval) for an engine conversion on a car - Im looking at going from 1.2 to 1.6. My mechanic told me it would need SVA and in general only 8% of cars that take an SVA pass
just a bit confused - as to wether u need it doing or not

PS Im the sort of person thats above board - Im not gonna just not have it done and hope for the best if it needs doing
jaffa

31st Jul 04 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't all imported cars have to have an SVA?
if so reckon the % must be more than 8?
RichR
Premium Member

31st Jul 04 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dnt know
jaffa

31st Jul 04 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regrebil.htm

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/importingandbuildingvehicles/singlevehicleapprovalscheme.htm

http://www.sva-ni.gov.uk/
RichR
Premium Member

1st Aug 04 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ne1 whos had a conversion what u had to do?
bradfincham

1st Aug 04 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all import cars have to take the sav test as do kit cars. its small things like all protruding nuts have to be radiused and lights work etc etc, I dont think so on engine conversions, just needs to work well and be safe. An engineers report if anything would be needed
mike16v

1st Aug 04 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been told u dont need any test or report doing, u just need to send the V5 to the dvla to be updated to new cc
RichR
Premium Member

1st Aug 04 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what Im trying to confirm - what exactly needs to be done - ie engineers report or SVA or whatever after uve converted the engine
Tim
Site Administrator

1st Aug 04 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't *need* anything.

The engineer's report is only required if your insurance company ask for one in order to make sure the conversion was done well. Think the report costs around £100 (I never had one, but heard this from someone...)

Oh and of course simply returning your V5 with the new 'cc' and engine serial number.

[Edited on 01-08-2004 by Tim]
jaffa

1st Aug 04 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go 2.0 rich

you sourced a 1.6?
RichR
Premium Member

1st Aug 04 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dnt knwo yet - just playing at the mo with a few ideas -gonna fone HIC on monday to find out what they say - then go from there - but new car lined up for February probably - so dnt want spend too much - tuned and shiny 1.6 is most likely
drunkenfool

2nd Aug 04 at 03:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never had a SVA test when i had mine done, just changed the V5 to 1998cc as someone else said. Insurance asked for a modified vehicle report, but i filled that out myself, they didnt ask for any external verification or anything like that
jaffa

2nd Aug 04 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
dnt knwo yet - just playing at the mo with a few ideas -gonna fone HIC on monday to find out what they say - then go from there - but new car lined up for February probably - so dnt want spend too much - tuned and shiny 1.6 is most likely

if you have a new car lined up feb time i would personally save the cash unless you think the money paying out will add enough value to your car
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Aug 04 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no my engine needs £300 odd spending on it neway - the air mass metre and Idle vavle are definately fucked and the ecu may be the route of the problem - plus hit 100k this week so new engine is the way forward - and the car im having emans I can keep the corsa and practice my new fibreglass ways

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » engine conversions and SVA 23 database queries in 0.0105512 seconds