corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lotus Elise

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lotus Elise
ajscorsa

User status: Offline
19th Jul 04 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nuthin just like to see how my car compares
DAYZEE

19th Jul 04 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wouldn't know which way it had gone. Its going to be at least 7/8 seconds faster to 100, by the time you reach 100 I'd be suprised if you could still see it. People call it slow but it ain't and certainly not when compared to your average car.
nik

19th Jul 04 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not slow but for comparison a CTR will beat it to 100 and of course top whack etc The Elise is more about tracking though and it's handling where it will see off a lot more 'quicker' cars Still rather buy a Caterham or Westfield if I was in the market for that sort of car
DAYZEE

19th Jul 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A CTR will beat a 118BHP S1 Elise in a straight line. I don't think there is another Elise it would beat, not the 143BHP, certainly not the 160BHP and higher. The S2 are in a different class and the brand new ones with the Toyota 190BHP engine are faster than the VX220 Turbo.
At the end of the day your always going to come to a bend sooner or later and then its your arse....(unless your in the elise!)
ajscorsa

19th Jul 04 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been in an elise not driving tho and they do handle great just didnt feel fast but i wasnt drivin tho
Nismo

19th Jul 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ajscorsa
so my astra could keep up with one if it stayed away from corners, astra has a proven 122 bhp

no

power - weight ratio , just becaus they only have 118bhp and you have 122bhp it doesnt mean your faster
nik

19th Jul 04 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DAYZEE
A CTR will beat a 118BHP S1 Elise in a straight line. I don't think there is another Elise it would beat, not the 143BHP, certainly not the 160BHP and higher. The S2 are in a different class and the brand new ones with the Toyota 190BHP engine are faster than the VX220 Turbo.
At the end of the day your always going to come to a bend sooner or later and then its your arse....(unless your in the elise!)

I'd fancy my chances through the corners in my weekend warrier
micra_pete
Premium Member

19th Jul 04 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by ajscorsa
so my astra could keep up with one if it stayed away from corners, astra has a proven 122 bhp

no

power - weight ratio , just becaus they only have 118bhp and you have 122bhp it doesnt mean your faster

chris_uk
Premium Member

19th Jul 04 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

must say i prefer the Vx220 turbo..

200 bhp 0-60 in 4.7 secs

dunno wat 0-100 is ...anyone?
chris_uk
Premium Member

19th Jul 04 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ReturnPage=Thread&ForumID=16&TopicID=94731&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1
dinosaur

19th Jul 04 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is much hype over the Elise, the original version and the least powerful one is using the Rover 600 engine at 118 bhp and the speed over other cars using this engine (like the Rovers and MGF) comes from light weight. As the unit lacks torque and outright power at speeds over 70 mph the performance isn't on par with other cars that do a similar 0-60, like a CTR and stuff, as mentioned. I've driven the basic model and an early one so the lighter spec, and its fairly rapid off the mark, but the top speed is not more than about 120 and motorway acceleration is poor. I ain't exagerating when I say a decent TDI Golf will sit on your tail and barge you out of the way.

The 143 (like in the Rover BRM and Vi and MGF) is better and gives you better mid range and top end. The 190 was a tweaked model and has poor road manners.

The Turbocharged and supercharged conversions like by BBR are mental.

The VX220 whilist heavier is producing lots more torque and the Turbo is faster than the Toyota Celica 190ps powered new Elise and Exige. The lighter weight of the Lotus doesn't overcome the extra torque of the Vauxhall.

If you want mid engined handling and some decent cheaper speed, buy an MGF 143 bhp on P reg and strip it out, removing some weight will make it as least as fast as the 118 bhp elise if you do the maths, std the MZf will do 60 in about 7 which is not far off the Elise anyway. Granted not as cool but cheaper and you can tune them as well.

Or buy a 118 Elise and put a lump from a VVCrover or MG in it.
Coblet

19th Jul 04 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Sport 160/190 version of the Elise were pretty fucking swift, but then it was possible to take the K Series engine, bore it out to 2.0 litres and make it produce 250bhp (if you had £10k handy). Good little engine, makes the new R500 Evo fly good and proper
Nismo

19th Jul 04 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt 1 version of the elise use a lotus tuned Zetec-S engine?
dinosaur

19th Jul 04 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Ford engines only Rover and Toyota.

DAYZEE

19th Jul 04 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want it to go really fast you put an Integra Type R engine in there....
Nismo

19th Jul 04 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or s2k
dinosaur

19th Jul 04 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mid engine speed machine, an MGF (the point is they are cheaper than Elises) and stick the Turbocharged motor from the 800 Vitesse or 600 ti or 220 Turbo. ROuting the intercooler can be a prob but easy upgrade to 235 bhp, which is prob enough for road use and the t16 engine is strong.

THis conversion does cost a bit but its been done.
DAYZEE

19th Jul 04 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be a slag getting it in there what with all the running gear going the wrong way.....
These are the guys to do it, they are doing the new i-VTEC engine now. 220BHP.

http://www.brooke-kensington.co.uk/phond1.htm
chris_uk
Premium Member

19th Jul 04 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant get much nicer than this..

DAYZEE

19th Jul 04 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dinosaur
Mid engine speed machine, an MGF (the point is they are cheaper than Elises) and stick the Turbocharged motor from the 800 Vitesse or 600 ti or 220 Turbo. ROuting the intercooler can be a prob but easy upgrade to 235 bhp, which is prob enough for road use and the t16 engine is strong.

THis conversion does cost a bit but its been done.

Or you could just buy an MR2 Turbo....?
dinosaur

19th Jul 04 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

130 bhp per litre is says on something there, thats a lot of N/A power !
dinosaur

19th Jul 04 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MR2 does not handle as well as an MGF by any scope of the imagination.

But I acknowledge a Turbo is quick, and easy to control in oversteer.
DAYZEE

19th Jul 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An MR2 Turbo handles very well, its often slated because of the original reviews of the first uk models. A Rev3 Turbo is a very different specification to the original NA model with differences to the suspension(bilstein), engine position, caster and camber, larger wider wheels, Torque diff..... the list goes on.
The MGF on the other hand does have a good balance but you can feel the chassis moving around and it shakes like a large cabriolet. You will never get the siffness required from a convertable.
I'll concede an MGF is easier to drive, but in the hands of someone semi competent round a track, its MR2 all the way.
R Lee

19th Jul 04 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, you peeps have put down some good info. shall i, shall i not? need to give one a go to decide.

sounds like the top end is gutless as fuck, don't like the idea of golf's barging me outta the way

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lotus Elise 23 database queries in 0.0332899 seconds