corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Categories for items for sale - have your input

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Categories for items for sale - have your input
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
18th Jul 04 at 00:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As some of you may know we're rewriting Classifieds to put some things in place that have been asked for. I'm just up to the stage of deciding on categories and have this list so far, based on what is currently for sale:

Parts Offered
-Wheels
--OE Spec
--Aftermarket
--Wheel Accessories
-Exterior Styling
-Interior Styling
-Mechanical
-Vauxhall Brand
-Non Vauxhall
-Misc Parts
ICE
Number Plates
Computer Related
Phones
Misc Items

Please don't say its too many and that it would be difficult to find things, it will work in exactly the same way as it does now in that if you're not inside a category, you see everything.

Input please
Gaz

18th Jul 04 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not have it in just too sections exteria and interia (sp ???) and then have ur radoms like computers fones and stuff ? wheels will be covered in exteria ICE will be interia etc ... just a thought mind

[Edited on 18-07-2004 by Korsa-Kid]
M2RTY

18th Jul 04 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id say, to keep it simple

cars for sale

car parts for sale

none car parts for sale

wanted

cos some ppl sell many items on one post
buckley

18th Jul 04 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RV H
id say, to keep it simple

cars for sale

car parts for sale

none car parts for sale

wanted

cos some ppl sell many items on one post

Rob H

18th Jul 04 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Woudlnt think you'd need all three catergories just for wheels TBH.

Thing is though, would you really need to do all the extra catergories if the Search facility worked better? Might just be my computer, but ATM if you search "Exhaust" in classifieds for the last week, nothing shows up . The main problem for the search facility id that it doesnt seem to search the thread titles i think .
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jul 04 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the plan is for categories to basically replace searching as text search for items for sale isn't great unless everyone uses the same words for everything.

Don't forget, if you don't go inside a category, you see the contents of all, exactly the same way eBay works. If you go to Automotive, Parts by Brand for example you see all brands, its only if you inside Ford, Vauxhall Opel etc. that you see just those parts.

People not wanting to trawl through categories to see all items won't have to.
Rob H

19th Jul 04 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what your saying is the main sub catergories will be:

-Vauxhall Brand (would change this to corsa parts, and the next to other car parts)
-Non Vauxhall
-Misc Parts
ICE
Number Plates
Computer Related
Phones
Misc Items

Then inside those you'll have sub catergories, like:

-Wheels
--OE Spec
--Aftermarket
--Wheel Accessories
-Exterior Styling
-Interior Styling
-Mechanical

Depending of course on what the first Catergory you chose was .
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jul 04 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah so you could see everything, just Corsa B for example, just kits for B etc.
jr

20th Jul 04 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cars for sale
Ice
Bodystyling
Wheels/suspension
Engine/trasmission
non car realated

wanted
Rebrabuk

20th Jul 04 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't like these proposals, too many categories/subcategories which leads to more page changes which leads to more bandwidth being used which leads to slow browsing.

I'm on ADSL so it wouldn't affect me, but i think it would be bad for 56k users and it would increase the costs for the site hosting wouldn't it?

I think it's fine the way it is.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jul 04 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bandwidth is not a huge concern here.

How it behaves is, and I'd like it to remain intuitive and purposeful. To that end I hoped these suggestions would improve browsing, make things easier to find and address some of the problems such as people replying saying things are too expensive, threads going off topic etc.

The format will be different to the current threads system, its a rather large re-write. I'll probably run the two systems concurrently to see if people like it before going completely over to the new one.
Gaz

20th Jul 04 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will make browsing alot long and if ya just want a genral browse and see whats on offer it will put people off IMO...
i think most people go in and see whats there (i do i know that ) instead of looking for one particular product or accesorie
how about an "internal" serch for the classifed area but u use it VERY geral like when u type in wheel/alloys anything that has Alloys or wheel in is displayed?
ed

21st Jul 04 at 01:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels:
Speedline
Not Speedline
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 04 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Korsa-Kid
use it VERY geral like when u type in wheel/alloys anything that has Alloys or wheel in is displayed?
The problem with this approach is that if you search for 'alloys' and someone has called them wheels, rims, 17s, alessios, mille miglias or anything else other than 'alloys', it won't find them.

I could make up a list of what words go with what, but its no small job and there are better ways of doing it.
BigSte

21st Jul 04 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it will reduce the amount of people who view it drastically, as it's too much messing about.
When I look in Classifieds I just browse down to have a look whats for sale, with nothing particular in mind but if there was a shit load of little sub-sections theres no way i would go through them individually to look through stuff.

Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 04 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but the adverts are aggregated in to one place just like they are now - you don't need to go in to Cars Offered, Parts Offered and Wanted to see everything as if you don't go in to any, you see them all.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Categories for items for sale - have your input 23 database queries in 0.0158908 seconds