corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wi-Fi

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wi-Fi
Andrew

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 04 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking for a modem thingy and laptop card, and maybe a PCI card too. Anyone know where i can get a cheap kit

Dom

22nd Jun 04 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ebay or dabs.com mate try ebuyer too....one thing though mate, i would go for the G stuff...its faster etc etc

[Edited on 22-06-2004 by VisibleMan]
Joff

22nd Jun 04 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What setup have you got at the moment?

I'm using two 802.11b USB adapters and I've just taken delivery of an 802.11g router (just to punish myself, I can't go over 11Mbps ) and have an Ethernet DSL modem on it's way.

If you only want to access the Internet without cables, then have a look on eBay and go for 802.11b stuff as it's normally cheaper than 802.11g and your network will always be faster than your net connection.

If you're sharing a home network and think you're going to have a lot of traffic, invest in 802.11g kit.
Andrew

22nd Jun 04 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i'm gonna go for the G stuff but the card in the laptop needs to be backward comp with B so i can use it at uni to.
Andrew

22nd Jun 04 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using one standard ADSL modem at the mo but gonna go wireless so i can use them all at once.
Joff

22nd Jun 04 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All 802.11g cards will be backwards compatible with b.

D-Link are giving away a free wireless cardbus card with their current all in one router/dsl modem/wireless box of sluts.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60242#pinfo

Have you got dial-up or ADSL?
broster
Premium Member

22nd Jun 04 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have wireless network in our house, belkin 54g stuff, its compaterble(sp) with lots of stuff, i know nout about computers but i can walk to the endo f the garden with my laptop and still get internet
sigibbons

22nd Jun 04 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a tip if buying for a desktop pc always buy the usb as it has a cable and can be moved around to find signal. the pci one was useless to me.
Dom

22nd Jun 04 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sigibbons
just a tip if buying for a desktop pc always buy the usb as it has a cable and can be moved around to find signal. the pci one was useless to me.

yes this is useful. I have an usb adaptor and i get 80-99% signal between the router whereas old man with his pci gets about 40 odd and he's closer
Then again, there is more overheads used with USB devices...so if you have a slowish pc then you might notice some drop in performance
Joff

22nd Jun 04 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also...

...if you're buying a separate ADSL modem make sure it's an Ethernet and not USB modem..

I bought the modem a couple of weeks ago and now I've got the router I realised I can't use the USB modem directly with the router
Joff

22nd Jun 04 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if you have a PCI wireless adaptor you can get an external aerial to get a better signal... depends what's cheap tbh.

If you're buying new, the Buffalo range looks quite funky.
Andrew

22nd Jun 04 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soory, i'm doing 30 things at once here

The USB PC thingy is a good idea, never thought of that

It's ADSL modem i am using at the mo connecting to Wanadoo Broadband.
Joff

22nd Jun 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you could do what I do at the moment and share the Internet connection but have to have the PC with the modem on to get access on all other PC's on the network.

With the router, you can connect directly to that instead without having any other PC on.
James_DT

22nd Jun 04 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have an old PC which shares the internet (and some of my files) to the network. We have a wired network to the desktops, and a wireless to the laptops via an access point (we didn't wanna pay to replace all the wired equipment with wireless).

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wi-Fi 23 database queries in 0.0129080 seconds