corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How can I remove paint properly?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How can I remove paint properly?
Drysdale

User status: Offline
20th Jun 04 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last owner painted the center console but did a really bad job of it. Painted really thick and theres plenty of lacquer on it so it feels like glass, just the paint job itself is uneven. Basically, i want to completely remove the paint/lacquer/primer and start again. I know there'll still be remnants of it left, but I want to get down to a stage where I can re-spray.

I've tried cellulose based thinners but the lacquer is on so damn thick it doesnt make a difference. I've tried rubbing the lacquer off with sand paper but it doesnt make a difference!

What can I use to effectively take it off?

SECONDLY

I'm re-trimming my door cards. Is there a place online that supplies leather/fabric suitable for cars (i.e. with small latex-based content)? Not L4Leather though.

Thanks.
ed

20th Jun 04 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nitromors to remove the paint...
sfxer

20th Jun 04 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wet and dry it off,

you may find its easier to buy a new part and start again
corsamad_87

20th Jun 04 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea dnt use chemicals on it m8 jus sand it off (not too course) or wet n dry it like sfxer said cos wiv chemicals ull hav probs wiv tha paint stikin, n itll jus peel off!!
Adam-D

20th Jun 04 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try 400 grit and just before you hit the plastic go to 800 grit then 1200 for the final smoothing
R Lee

20th Jun 04 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could go to scrappies. save you money from buying all the solvents or whatever, and save you time from doing work to it.

New Poll