corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » GSI engine Question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GSI engine Question
Andy

User status: Offline
1st Jun 04 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not having a go at you matey - but I can tell you from bitter experience that I spent a lot of time and money trying to tease as much power out of my 1.6 before I switched to TBs. With all those mods listed above (the head was thoroughly reworked to race spec) and with 264 degree cams, the best we could squeeze was 154bhp. They're great engines, but to increase power from 109 to over 160bhp is going to require something more than just the mods you listed
Cybermonkey

1st Jun 04 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and i dont think that each engine differs so much fom each other.
sebj

1st Jun 04 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the info everyone. As mentioned above whats the reliability like on the 2 engines?

[Edited on 01-06-2004 by sebj]
Cybermonkey

1st Jun 04 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the X16 was designed with an increased reliabilty on mind. Both engines still suffer typica vauxhall problems like slipping belts and head gasket problems. However, the 1.6 corsa unit is fairly tough if looked after regardless of design. Just look after it, give it frequent services.
Greasemonkey

1st Jun 04 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, dont metion throttle position sensor problems or EGR problems lol,
Hammer Man

2nd Jun 04 at 02:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me ask you guys something... These horsepower we are talking about... Wheel or Fly? I mean, they were measured as 160 or were converted from rolling road numbers?

Some dynos lie...

102 at the wheels... How would you consider this at the fly?

Greasemonkey

2nd Jun 04 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the figures i was talking about were at the fly dude
Hammer Man

2nd Jun 04 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
the figures i was talking about were at the fly dude

Of course they are! I am just asking HOW THEY WERE MEASURED. In a rolling road (hat usually requires a conversion factor that determines the transmission losses) or in a bench dyno, where what you have is what it is...

Consider, as an exemple: 130 whp + 20% = 156 at the fly, or:
130 whp + 15% = 149,5 at the fly...

what are the conversion losses considered in every case? Are they really correct? Every car loses power in a different rate...

broster
Premium Member

2nd Jun 04 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they take the wheel power then use a conversion factor usually about 20-25% i THINK cant remember correctly what they usually use
Murray

3rd Jun 04 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the RR figures are out, when my x16xe had 150bhp the pistons couldn't take the power and melted, i had to get bigger forged pistons to cope with it. the c16xe that i've seen claim 160 said that it came in at 7500rpm, i doubt IF it did have this power that the engine stayed in one piece for very long!
Andy

3rd Jun 04 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this a piss-take? The standard pistons won't melt, even when using TBs, revving to 8K and producing 180bhp
Hammer Man

5th Jun 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Is this a piss-take? The standard pistons won't melt, even when using TBs, revving to 8K and producing 180bhp

Melted pistons are generally related to poor A/F mixture... Excessive temperatures in the cylinders...
sfxer

5th Jun 04 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the c16xe when originaly built developed 150 bhp, they whacked on a restrictive inlet etc. and brought the power down to 109
Murray

6th Jun 04 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell that to my pistons then, this was about 2 hours after getting unichipped, the guy told me that the pistons were the weak point in the engine and had seen a couple of engines go pop.

And though it is true the engine was 150bhp when developed, they did a lot more than just 'whack' on a different inlet manifold.
Hammer Man

7th Jun 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Murray
Tell that to my pistons then, this was about 2 hours after getting unichipped, the guy told me that the pistons were the weak point in the engine and had seen a couple of engines go pop.

And though it is true the engine was 150bhp when developed, they did a lot more than just 'whack' on a different inlet manifold.

Well, I've heard of a couple of problems related to unichipped cars. Maybe it is a problem of calibration. They use a method to calibrate the engine (ignition advance and A/F) that relies on the settings that achieve the bigger power and torque when the car is tested on a dyno... Sometimes this is not the correct approach, since sometimes you need a richer mixture to ensure that the temperatures inside the cylinders are under control. Sometimes the perfect stoichmetric mixture is enough to fuck up with the pistons. You don't need necessarely a poor mixture to have problems.

They use a lambda meter and the dyno, but they seem not to like the pyrometers... I was just wondering if those guys that tuned your engine were using a pyrometer, maybe this could have been avoided... I am not affirming that, just imagining...

[Edited on 07-06-2004 by Hammer Man]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll