corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Making a mould...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Making a mould...
Sidesport

User status: Offline
   22nd May 04 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well first of all...i think its spelt MOULDS....

But maybe a few people on here could help me....

If i get a custom bumper made....how easy is it to make a mould of it ??

I take it it costs alot for the mould to be made...but after that...i could make alot....

Also...is there a company that does it??

ANy contact details and info on the subject..would be great !!!

Cheers

Chris
Sidesport

22nd May 04 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cummon guys !
ed

22nd May 04 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To make moulds of things you get a tub of plaster, then you put the oblect into that tub of plaster, then you have a negative version of your item.
This would be far to weak though so you would need to lay some kind of resin or plastic into the mould to be able to layer fibreglass in it, this is how I have made moulds in the past... But I'm sure there are better ways, and in yellow pages there are lots of custom moulding companys that could probably make you a mould....

[Edited on 22-05-2004 by 1800ed]
Sidesport

22nd May 04 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate...we have had more ideas...

A custom bodykit is our next aim

CHeers

Chris
ed

22nd May 04 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, Cool

Hows me lights going?

[Edited on 22-05-2004 by 1800ed]
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd May 04 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BAT would do this but you'd have to sell hundreds of them otherwise its not worthwhile.
Sidesport

22nd May 04 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea were just after a price at the moment mate....a Rough price....u know roughly how much the first mouldl costs ?
combatvauxhall

22nd May 04 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The moulds cost shit loads, the only way to make money is to sell lots of them at just above profit price.

Take the bumper and do everything you are going to do to it, fill, prime and paint it. Basically it needs to be perfect. Cover it in PVA or poly vinyl Ascetate. This stops the resin from sticking to the bumper.

Mix up shit loads of resin and cover the bumper in it. Place your sheets of GRP onto the resin and poke down and get rid of all the air. Repeat this bout three or four times. Leave for bout 4 hours till its totally gone off, twist the original bumper to crack the mould away from the bumper. This will now be the mould for you to repeat the process into to get a copy of your bumper.

Plus after you make a copy of the bumper, youll have to tidy it up as any blemish in the mould will show up in the copied one.

Very slow, expensive, and tedious. This is for only a few copies, to do more youll have to look at more mass produced methods of manafacture.

Hope that helps

Sidesport

22nd May 04 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it does...im going to ring up a few places on Monday...have a chat with some people bout this...get some info etc...

Cheers Guys though !

If the price is right...we will develop a new kit for the corsa

Heheh

Chris !
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd May 04 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No use only developing it, you have to market as well. You would seriously need to think in terms of selling 100 of these, thats potentially a huge investment.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Making a mould... 23 database queries in 0.0404420 seconds