corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Overheating? Problem with fan? Rad sensor? Pic.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Overheating? Problem with fan? Rad sensor? Pic.
the_legend_of_yrag

User status: Offline
16th May 04 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had this problem for a while now really, with my temp gauge not really working right, going right to the end, and only sitting in middle when it should if im going around 50/60 mph.

But when sat in traffic for a long time my fan doesnt kick in, not really had a problem before as i don't have to sit in much traffic for too long, but last night at southend was in traffic for a good 20 minutes, and my water ended up boiling over.

I know theres a sensor on the side of the rad, and one going into fan, so gunna clean em up and see what happens, would it be a good idea to spray some wd40 on it??

Or could it just be the fact my fan is knackered?

Could it be this? It's missing it's clip where it clips onto the actual sensor which then clicks into the rad.

Thought it could be this as it's loose, so will tape it up and see if it changes anything. Gave the senor a clean and the fan sensor a clean too. So will see how it goes

PaulW

16th May 04 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do the paper-clip test

just bridge the connections on that there plug with a paperclip & just turn the ignition on, the fan should start spinnin. if not, could be a fuse or could be the fan
the_legend_of_yrag

16th May 04 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the management light never comes on? was only on last night when the water was boiling over?
the_legend_of_yrag

16th May 04 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also when should the fan start to kick in?
PaulW

16th May 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just before it hits the red it should kick in (mine always used to)

management light will only come on if the temp gets extreme, i've never known it to come on when the fan dont work
ryzer

16th May 04 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have this problem at the moment, my fan doesnt come on at all, i have done the paper clip test as someone said above, and i found my fan works, so i consulted the haynes manual, which said the sensor in the radiator is knackered, there fore i need to drain all the coolant then replace the sensor thingy.
do the paper clip test and see what happens, u will be able to tell if the fan or wiring is knackered, or if it is the sensor like mine
ryzer

16th May 04 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its supposed to kick in at 96 degrees or thereabouts
the_legend_of_yrag

16th May 04 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right well ive clean the sensor, drained all the coolant filled it all back up again, and temp gauge still doesnt work right it just goes off the reading. Will take it for a drive see what happens, but then surley if you do the paper clip test on the sensor and the fan then kicks in, surley the sensor itself isnt buggered? This mean the part on the rad that the sensor clicks into is knackere?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th May 04 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sensor is there to check the temp, when it reaches a certain tempt it will start the fan.

if the fan works when you are doing the paperclip test, it would suggest the sensor isnt reading the correct temp/temp at all, thus not turning it on this way.

or something? I'm guessing
the_legend_of_yrag

16th May 04 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right so do i put the paper clip in the sensor then into the rad yeah? To connect the two together? If the fan then comes on can i just leave the paper clip in so the fan stays on all the time till i get it sorted?
Tim
Site Administrator

16th May 04 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You put the paperclip across the the wires that connect to the radiator temp sensor. The fan should start. You're basically bypassing the temperature sensor and making a direct connection...
danny boyo

16th May 04 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had the same prob mate never found out wat it was changed the warter pump rad sensor head gasket and still never worked

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Overheating? Problem with fan? Rad sensor? Pic. 23 database queries in 0.0128689 seconds