corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » cambelt making weird noises since its been changed!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cambelt making weird noises since its been changed!!!
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   8th May 04 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had cambelt changed over 2 months ago and recently the camshaft sensor "wire" got cut because it was put through the wrong way right next to the cam pulley so it shredded it!! well i fixed that and now i notice that when the engine is cold:

just after start up for 3-4 mins the belt makes a screeching noise and...

the belt is knocking on somthing? i think the black plastic cam pulley cover? its making a continous banging,like metal bangin on metal sounds like pulling a metal chain through a small metal hole!

sounds worse as rev higher but the problem quietens once engine is at operating tempertature?

please help with any advice
Big Col

8th May 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you sure it's the cam belt? it could be the auxiliary drive belt.

I suggest removing the auxiliary drive belt and then starting the car. If the problem remains then yes it's the cam belt, water pump, idlers or tensioner.

If the problem disappears then the problem lies with the auxiliary drive belt, alternator or PAS pump - if you have PAS.
MoNkEy MaGiC

8th May 04 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for advice mate

but i just sorted it out now

the screeching noise couldnt of been the cam belt because it has teeth on it to keep it in place, it turned out to be the alternator belt, so i gave few squirts of wd40 and it was sorted, i had the tensioners replaced recently too

the banging noise! turned out to be the plastic cam cover in the end!! i must of tightened one of the 3 screws too much, so i just put a washer behind the cover before fixing the cover in place and it seems to have cured it well for now!
TOMAS

8th May 04 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WD40 on the auxillary belt are you mad? Its screetching for a reason - it may well be old, stretched and slipping?

[Edited on 08-05-2004 by TOMAS]
CorsAsh

8th May 04 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car made this noise too - i tried oiling the pulleys etc, believe me mate, the noise will keep coming back. Its actually the aux drive belt needs replacing, mine was old and slack, and was slapping against the pulley surface til it warmed up and began to stick to it i guess.

Replace the belt and tighten up, should sort the problem.
MoNkEy MaGiC

9th May 04 at 02:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is a new belt! and tensioners!

had the cambelt and the alternator belt changed at the same time!

it seems ok now though

New Poll