corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » XP Shut down problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author XP Shut down problem
Munchie

User status: Offline
   10th Apr 04 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i click shutdown on my computer (xp) it just restarts!!!!! wats up with it?!
R Lee

10th Apr 04 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can change the setting somewhere...

that is all i know

thank me later monster munch
Munchie

10th Apr 04 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the advice lol......
R Lee

10th Apr 04 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm full of advice... shame none of it is uselful
AndyCorsa

10th Apr 04 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't get a blue screen for a moment do you, or does it just restart straight away?
Munchie

10th Apr 04 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i get that blue screen when it says "windows is saving ure settings etc etc"

then it just restarts. its brand new hard drive by the way and XP! only sorted it all out yesterday
Munchie

10th Apr 04 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and yes i press the red 1!
PaulW

10th Apr 04 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be an issue with your BIOS & motherboard not supporting the ACPI thingy xp uses to power it down proper...

check the board manufacturers site for latest bios flash & see how it goes then

I was havin similiar probs with an old machine once, would shutdown fine in win 98, no problems, but when I put XP on it, it would just hang during shutdown or just reboot. BIOS flash sorted it out & it then shutdown proper

[Edited on 10-04-2004 by PaulW]
liamC

10th Apr 04 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does pressing Control, Alt, Delete and going to Shut Down -> Turn Off not work for you or is just Start > Shut Down thats the problem?

If you have a password on your XP, when you are on the login screen can you press Turn off Computer and does it shut down there successfully?

If you're still having problems sign up on www.windowsbbs.com and ask them for advice in the XP Forum. Alot of really helpful posters on there that go out of their way to help you.

Or you could just kick the shit out of the machine. That would be my suggestion.
Munchie

10th Apr 04 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most Win XP shutdown problems reported thus far have been that it reboots when shutdown is attempted. This may be a global symptom emerging from several distinct causes, because, by default, XP executes an automatic restart in the event of a system failure. Therefore, more or less anything compromising the operating system during the shutdown process could force this reboot.

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”
AndyCorsa

10th Apr 04 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this problem, it was bringing up a blue screen when shutting down but it would restart on its own to quickly for me to take note of the error. Try this anyway mate, right click on My Computer icon and select Properties. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK.
AndyCorsa

10th Apr 04 at 01:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Munchie
Most Win XP shutdown problems reported thus far have been that it reboots when shutdown is attempted. This may be a global symptom emerging from several distinct causes, because, by default, XP executes an automatic restart in the event of a system failure. Therefore, more or less anything compromising the operating system during the shutdown process could force this reboot.

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

lol, yeh try that
stuyw

10th Apr 04 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it not the MS balster virus m8?? does it mention Remote Procedure Call?
Stu

10th Apr 04 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have Roxio 5 installed in it by any chance? Same thing happened to my PC when that was in it? Its an XP compatibilty issue. Get the updates from Roxio.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » XP Shut down problem 23 database queries in 0.0136881 seconds