corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spraying Metallic?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spraying Metallic?
MattyB

User status: Offline
6th Apr 04 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the process of re-spraying my mirrors.........

sanded old paint, smooth as glass, primed, sanded, primed, wet+dry, like glass, just been cleaned and ready for spraying.

I've not done much metallic spraying in the past so i have a query.........

Once the i've done a few coats of the metallic paint, am i right in thinking i let that dry, then 1200grit wet that over to get rid of imperfections before laquering it?

thanks

Matt
waynep

6th Apr 04 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah man we didnt do that with my brows and it came out nice... im also doin my dtms at the mo and im not guna sand my met paint...
MattyB

6th Apr 04 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, its the stage i'm most curious about coz all the guides i've read have said to do it :S But like u say geez, all our work has come out OK without doing so....?

Matt
Red_SXi

6th Apr 04 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there are imperfections rub down with 1200grit, but if its nice then i dont bother
MattyB

6th Apr 04 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh oky doke. i can usually get the metallic very smooth and shiney with cans. It looks good enuff not to laquer, but i guess the extra layer protects and prob ensures colour match
waynep

6th Apr 04 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mat i got a prob i fitteed my mirrors but fom inside the car i can still dam see the underside of the baseplate which is obviously a part that i didnt spray and it looks wank.....
MattyB

6th Apr 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..........once its totally dry, mask up the outside bits around the edge, and give it a flash over in the primer + frost blue mate!
Greasemonkey

6th Apr 04 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is one i have always waned to know, if ya sand metallic paint it goes flat yes, but also dull, once laquered the dullness is locked in, unlike non metallic ya carnt polish it after, what i do is sand the coat before the last top coat, then i dont sand again, not even the laquer, and the finish i always get is top notch
waynep

6th Apr 04 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
..........once its totally dry, mask up the outside bits around the edge, and give it a flash over in the primer + frost blue mate!

Mhhh good point cheeeeeeeers
MattyB

6th Apr 04 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
this is one i have always waned to know, if ya sand metallic paint it goes flat yes, but also dull, once laquered the dullness is locked in, unlike non metallic ya carnt polish it after, what i do is sand the coat before the last top coat, then i dont sand again, not even the laquer, and the finish i always get is top notch

nice one, u reckon:

primer
sand
primer
sand
paint
paint
wet sand
paint (to get gloss back)
laquer

jubbly?

Matt
Rob H

6th Apr 04 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started to sand mine recently with 1200 paper before i laquer it, and it always comes out fine. Just make sure you've got the paper very very wet before sanding it. I've found using stuff you've used before that slightly worn doen is better as its even less harsh than new 1200 paper. If you get any nasty scratches in the top coat, then re-spray it, but if you just take the shine off it, then thats perfect .

I find when you sand it, it allows you to get a thicker layer of laquer onto it, without the risk of it running.
Kris TD

6th Apr 04 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you only need too sand the colour if there is crap in it, to be honest i wouldnt bother on a mirror.
MattyB

6th Apr 04 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oky doke.....nice one all

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spraying Metallic? 23 database queries in 0.0130479 seconds