corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » how long does fibre glass take??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how long does fibre glass take??
Andy GSi

User status: Offline
22nd Mar 04 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have left it to set over night and its still tacky.....is it because i have not added enough hardener, or does it need to be warm conditions to set??
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Mar 04 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hardener - what fibreglass have u used - because varying types and varying resin systems take varying lenghts of time to cure - however over night seems excessive - especially as ur unlikely to be uing marine grade resin which pretty much takes the longest at 3-4 hours

its the styrene content of the resin which stops it going off - once this styrene is evaporated out the resin hardens hence the need for a hardener - u need to just leave it until its set tho mate
Adam-D

22nd Mar 04 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

warm condition's m8
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Mar 04 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although warmth plays a small role in the setting process - u need to get the styrene out of the resin for it to set - this can happen at nethin above -6 c so its unlikely to be warmth - more than liekly u havnt used enough hardener
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Mar 04 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also did u allow the previous layer to fully harden b4 applying a new layer; as if so u'll have trapped styrene between the layers which wont be able to get out - u need to apply second layers of GRP when the previous layer becomes squeeky when u run ur finger over it - this way its on the evrge of setting but isnt quite
Andy GSi

22nd Mar 04 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
hardener - what fibreglass have u used

i have used P40
Colour-Tec Coachworks

22nd Mar 04 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the surface tacky but everything solid?. If this is the case then no worries, the cured surface has a tendancy to feel a little sticky after its hardened so unless the fibreglass is soft... i wouldnt lose any sleep.
MattyB

22nd Mar 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had a problem with FG taking too long! Its usually the opposite as i add to much hardner coz i'm impatient!

I remember doing my mates mesh one really hot day, and it had solidified before i'd even got it into place! Not doin that again!

I reckon its just coz u didnt use enuff hardner matey!

Matt
Drew
Banned

22nd Mar 04 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colour-Tec Coachworks
Is the surface tacky but everything solid?. If this is the case then no worries, the cured surface has a tendancy to feel a little sticky after its hardened so unless the fibreglass is soft... i wouldnt lose any sleep.

i agree - once ya start sanding it, the tackyness will go and fibreglass will be solid and sand nice and dusty
Kris TD

22nd Mar 04 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colour-Tec Coachworks

i agree.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » how long does fibre glass take?? 23 database queries in 0.0076811 seconds