corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » how effective are bonnet louvres?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how effective are bonnet louvres?
MattyB

User status: Offline
12th Mar 04 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Evisu
I think they look better than a vent anyway

they do look smoother in their traditional "vacuum" layout, but i wanted functionality rather than just looks alone.
MatthewR

12th Mar 04 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah definatly, effective lookswise and performance
Gambit

12th Mar 04 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
born_upsideout do some reading into things before putting stupid comments - u only make yourself look daft

when the car is moving, the lourves work by the air passing over it creating a small vacuum just behind the top of the louvres this then draws the hot air from the engine bay to fill this vacuum, hence sucking more cold air from the front to replace the hot air that has just been extracted

if they didnt work why do most turbo cars have loveres in the bonnet??

[Edited on 12-03-2004 by Gambit]

turbo cars gain more power via cooler boost temps, which is achieve by scoops/vents above the I/C. slightly cooler ambient under bonnet temps dont make too much of a difference to power.

yes Matt i do know what scoops and vents do, but they still need to get rid of the under bonnet heat generated by turbo engines to help keep the engine run that bit cooler

hence why rs turbo's cossie's etc had louvres, and why Impreza's and Evo's 4/5/6 have them

TRL

12th Mar 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most cars don't have a problem getting air into the engine bay. They have a problem getting it out. Trying to force more air under the bonnet might work, but I'd say it needs to be done together with some sort of extraction.
Also, reversed louvres will create drag, slowing you down. That's why racers use NACA ducts to get air in:

http://www.quickcar.net/cooling/cp_nacaduct.html

They leave the outline of the bonnet pretty well unchanged.

Tony
vibrio
Banned

12th Mar 04 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by born_upsideout
wow helpful comments as usual!! IMO louvres dont really help all that much, more of a cosmetic mod

depends how they are laid out and on what car.

largest sized reversed louvres pressed over intercooler/TBs etc =

pretty patterns on a NA engine = No effect at all, but look smart!

Matt

hot air rises. holes in the bonnet means the hot air can escape.

yep ur right there ............but the reduction in ambient underbonnet temperatures?? I few degrees if anything. The difference made would be sod all, unelss u owned a racing car and were caning it round on a hot day.

Matt

you'd besuprised how much of a diffence a few degrees make Matt
TRL

12th Mar 04 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, take a look at this:

http://www.auto-amd.com/technical_2.asp

Tony
MattyB

12th Mar 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TRL
Most cars don't have a problem getting air into the engine bay. They have a problem getting it out. Trying to force more air under the bonnet might work, but I'd say it needs to be done together with some sort of extraction.
Also, reversed louvres will create drag, slowing you down. That's why racers use NACA ducts to get air in:

http://www.quickcar.net/cooling/cp_nacaduct.html

They leave the outline of the bonnet pretty well unchanged.

Tony

10mm high louvres make sod all difference. The front of a ph1 306 is like a brick anyway, and i never do more than 100mph.

Matt
MattyB

12th Mar 04 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
born_upsideout do some reading into things before putting stupid comments - u only make yourself look daft

when the car is moving, the lourves work by the air passing over it creating a small vacuum just behind the top of the louvres this then draws the hot air from the engine bay to fill this vacuum, hence sucking more cold air from the front to replace the hot air that has just been extracted

if they didnt work why do most turbo cars have loveres in the bonnet??

turbo cars gain more power via cooler boost temps, which is achieve by scoops/vents above the I/C. slightly cooler ambient under bonnet temps dont make too much of a difference to power.

yes Matt i do know what scoops and vents do, but they still need to get rid of the under bonnet heat generated by turbo engines to help keep the engine run that bit cooler

hence why rs turbo's cossie's etc had louvres, and why Impreza's and Evo's 4/5/6 have them

yep sorry me gettin at wrong end stick i think.......i was more angled towards induction temps for some reason silly me.

as for those performance cars having louvres.........yep......they need em. shame my TD dont!

Matt
MattyB

12th Mar 04 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by born_upsideout
wow helpful comments as usual!! IMO louvres dont really help all that much, more of a cosmetic mod

depends how they are laid out and on what car.

largest sized reversed louvres pressed over intercooler/TBs etc =

pretty patterns on a NA engine = No effect at all, but look smart!

Matt

hot air rises. holes in the bonnet means the hot air can escape.

yep ur right there ............but the reduction in ambient underbonnet temperatures?? I few degrees if anything. The difference made would be sod all, unelss u owned a racing car and were caning it round on a hot day.

Matt

you'd besuprised how much of a diffence a few degrees make Matt

i was very suprized at the difference the louvres above my i/c made. Imagine the difference the scoop wud have made!!!!!!! (apart from ruining the look of my car that is)

Matt
Andy

12th Mar 04 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends where the vent/louvres are on the bonnet. With most cars moving forwards through air, there is positive pressure at the very front of the bonnet and also at the very rear, near the windscreen. In the middle of the bonnet, there's negative pressure. Louvres in the middle will therefore help suck air up from the engine bay and out. At the very front and rear, they'll not do much. Conversely, a vent or scoop placed at the front or rear will force cold air into the bay, but in the middle, will be pretty ineffective.

Square, I will have a bonnet with rear scoop for sale very soon. I found it to be quite effective for directing cold air over the throttle body intakes. U2U me if you want more info
Matt H

12th Mar 04 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have a pic of this bonnet andy?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » how effective are bonnet louvres? 23 database queries in 0.0114930 seconds