corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » I only wanna adjust my clutch

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I only wanna adjust my clutch
timmy toad

User status: Offline
   24th Jan 04 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my missus has a L reg Corsa Merit, the clutch pedal is lower than the brake pedal so according to the Haynes Manual it should be a little above the brake pedal.

So I remove the little circlip thingie (didnt seem to do much anyway) with a 10mm spanner i turn the nut (quite easily) clockwise, OF COURSE WHEN I LET GO of the nut the cable just twists it back again to where it was before.

So please does anyone know the secret of how to succesfully do this very simple task.

tim
essexracer

24th Jan 04 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just adjust it until the peddel is slightly above the break peddel, but more importantly until it feels fine and ur missus is happy with its possition.

trial and error bassically, if u adjust it too much, then go back and obviously turn the nut the other way a bit and try it again.

james
timmy toad

24th Jan 04 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks james, yeah i been adjusting it as i said, but i turn the nut which is obviously part of the cable, so when i let go of the nut the cable twists back to where it was, i guess the cable should maybe turn freely throughout the complete lenght of the outer cable ????????

tim
essexracer

24th Jan 04 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no no no....

right...u pull the cable toward u (to help free it) and unlip it from the metal arm...

once free...u turn the plastic thingy (not a nut) anti-clockwise (i think lol, otherwise clockwise) and then hook it back onto the metal arm (by pullin the cable towards u and slottin it inplace on the metal arm)

then go back into the car and see where the pedal is possitioned and turn th ecar on and make sure u can get into each gear fine (includin reverse!)

its trial and error, is easy to do...if u addjust too much (i.e. ur missus doesnt like havin a too high biting point) then re ajust it by turnin th enut the other way!

hope this helps.

james
essexracer

24th Jan 04 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh forgot to say when turnin the plastic thingy it turns on the thread of the cable casing....the cable doesnt twist wen u turn the adjuster thingy.

i think ur gettin confused, or is it me
timmy toad

24th Jan 04 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks james, i know what plastic thigy you mean, it didnt look as if it came out of where it was though, but if your saying it does that makes a lot of sense, i was obviously doing it wrong, cheers mate, very helpfull.

tim

[Edited on 24-01-2004 by timmy toad]
essexracer

24th Jan 04 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if ur clutch is newish, u may find its hard to remove the cable from the metal arm...this is why i said to pull the cable towards u to help free up sum space!

just remeber that m8

james
timmy toad

25th Jan 04 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to be such a nuisance chaps, but i had another go at it this morning and i cant get the plastic thingy out of the clutch release lever, you dont mean the bit where it is attatched to the gearbox casing itself, that has a slot in it, but even if i could get it out of that it wouldnt help would it.

tim
essexracer

25th Jan 04 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to get the plastic thingy out of the metal lever arm, you need to pull the cable (from behind the arm) towards you, this makes the cable slightly slack and then you can release the plastic adjuster thingy from the metal arm.

did u try pullin the cable towards u as u tried to release the plastic thingy? if if u did, try again m8!

you will kick urself once uv done it! its easy wen u know how

james
timmy toad

25th Jan 04 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks mate for replying, i am fast running out of daylight and inclination to ty it again today, next sunday itll have to be now !..

looking from the front of the car, it looks as if the end of the clutch release lever has a metal cup built into it, so the plastic thingie (which i suppose has a metal thread inside iit ) is inside this CUP and is removed from inside the cup from the rear by pulling the cable backwards after creating some slack in the cable.

there have i got that about right ?.

tim
essexracer

25th Jan 04 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to creat slack pull the cable towards u not backwards!

that clip thing ur talkin about aint needed i think/hope as mine came off, and its inside my car at the mo

wen theres enough slack hold the lever and pull the cable towards u and then pull the cable to the right and the black plastic thingy should come out of the metal lever arm.

hope this helps m8...if u were near me id sort it out in 2 mins for ya.

james
timmy toad

25th Jan 04 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okey dokey, thanks a lot james, like i said i wont be able to have another go atr it until next weekend.

tim
essexracer

25th Jan 04 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if u still cant do it, u2u me or say so in here and il give u my mobile number and u can phone me and i should be able to explain it slightly better.

james
timmy toad

25th Jan 04 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok buddie, tim

New Poll